Sign in to follow this  
1rotty

Goodyear Eagle F1

Would you consider this normal wear/durability ??

e38 740

wear on all four tyres even right across road surface

Tyres fitted Dec 10

Travelled 21,000 kms

Very sedate driver (not me lol)

Def NOT WOFable

What do you think??

I think it sounds about right too for the Eagle F1's. Is this the GSD3 or assymetric?

I've got GSD3 running at the moment and I noticed it does wear slightly faster than other tyres I used (RE050A and RE001). But the grip is awesome in the dry because I think of the softer compound(?). I drive pretty casual most of the time except for the occassional 'spirited' driving once in a while. :P

I think it is a good tyre if you prefer handling over durability.

yes good grip poor life .

have had them on a couple of cars including the v8 i drive now and its hard work to make them loose traction even with 490Nm

I agree with the other guys - Good grip poor life, i have had them on my Subaru and had to replace the rears after about 7 months then the fronts next WOF.

Something is wrong if you have cut them out in 21,000k under "normal" driving conditions. Had these on the fronts of the 530i and only changed them to the rear as the outer edge grooves have disappeared, found them to be a good all round tyre. These have lasted 3 and half years done 62,000k with mainly highway use will find out soon if they need to be replaced WOF time coming up. These come in different compound types and wall ratings factors which need to be look at I have been told.

I have them on my 330, 225/40/18's and have found them good but noisy. The problem I have is that they are wearing badly in the middle of the tread, mainly on the rear.

What would be the recomended preshure for these???

I have them on my 330, 225/40/18's and have found them good but noisy. The problem I have is that they are wearing badly in the middle of the tread, mainly on the rear.

What would be the recomended preshure for these???

36-38psi, over inflating would cause the middle to wear.

36 to 38 is not over inflation - (250 to 260 for us europeans)

Greg didnt say 36-38 was over inflation. He stated that this is what David should use.

The F1 is a sports tyre designed for and predominantly found on lighter sports or performance type cars, it’s my opinion that 20,000km is reasonable wear for that tyre on a big car like the seven.

Unfortunately with a car of that bulk a wear/performance compromise is always going to be tough.

Maybe ask what other brands E38 owners run and find out how performance orientated they are?

Fine if you want a nana tyre...

Confirmation that I am in fact a highly skilled driver, I entered Targa Bambina on a set of these nana sport maxx road tyres and finished well ahead of a lot of people running actual hard core race tyres, hell I was fastest car in a FWD configuration and with them fitted I also manage to carve good times on track, better than similar cars with race tyres. Just call me Stiggy. I can only imagine how fast I would be with a set of “insert your preferred brand†tyres or real race tyres. With this new found knowledge I plan on winning the main Targa event in October as I will have my band new D0G3’s on. Winner winner chicken dinner.

Thanks. Was just getting at the point they are not an entirely bad road performance tyre, especially on Kiwi roads, certainly not nana IMHO, we were the only team running road tyres and were actually passing people mid stages.

I like to think it was a good test of their performance on NZ roads, they went from 80% tread to un warrantable after two days so that shows how hard we were driving on them, I have never seen a road tyre worn like these, one entire block is missing all together on one side.

We are have tested a lot faster on proper semi slicks, they give far higher grip, feel and security..but cost 3k for a set and only last a week.

Greg didnt say 36-38 was over inflation. He stated that this is what David should use.

That is corretc, 36-38 psi is the ideal pressure for this vehicle.

I use Eagle F1s, had a few sets now, can't really complain about them, they're black, they're round and they stick to the road really well! Wear isn't the best but stick to what you know.

Cant see my brother wanting to replace them again in 16 mths Greg

Fair enough, not a highlight of my life either haha.

I have these on my 330Ci, it came with it when I bought the car 2 years, 25000km ago with 7mm thread. Now has 3-4mm left. I guess you could say 60% worn now. It's quite grippy but very noisy. I would be keen to try something else, I rather trade off some grip for quietness.

I had a chat with Beaurepaires, they say they can't get the original Eagle F1 anymore as they are now replaced by F1 Asymmetrical which is a lot quieter. I couldn't find much review on this new F1A though.

Edited by SpikeyLemon