Sign in to follow this  
sti-ted

e30 m50b25

Thanks mate ... i got the fill panel from fibreworks in the states. recieved my new clutch today so hoping to have m50 in within the next couple of weeks.

Edited by frederic

Fair enough, snowed the other day in Hamilton. First time anyone has ever seen it here lol so unusual.

we had a huge dumping down here in wellys,couldnt get my car out for a few days. :lol:

Posted Image

*cancels subscription to thread

update.

engine is in , received parts for my gearbox from pelican parts. :wub: lovin pelican...credit card not so much. :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

just have to get my head around the wiring ,especialy since original wiring for my car had been butchered .

its alive!!! finally got the old girl fired up ...started first pop and purrs like a kitten 8-) . tach and fuel mph gauge not working..i think i need new cluster. teenage hoon who had it butchered wirring and installed a monster tacho. :wacko:

so jelous, good work mate. my 24v conversions stuck needing either an adapter made for the powersteering pump or lifting the engine taking the rack out and getting a new fitting put on the end of the line.

thanks, still a long way before mine is on the road.....more $$$. as fast as i earn it the e30 eats it up. :lol:

small update.

front bumper is painted and on.

Posted Image

Posted Image

new parts for engine:

waterpump

alloy thermostat housing

80degree thermostat

us spec e36 alloy radiator (325-m3)

silicone hosing

new gaskets

custom headers (thanks jacko)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by frederic

Looks real nice mate but may i ask what automotive experience you have?

I am really really keen to do this swap on my 318i but i have limited experience and am loosing confidence, have ripped apart an engine and stuff before and have a few mates who have taken engines out before etc. The wiring seems a bit intense at this stage can you tell me how difficult the whole swap was for you? Any headaches you came across? Hooking everything up etc.

I've gathered alot of information on the swap and have a parts list and everything and what not.

Also are you meant to use 413 silver or red label cause one of them has ews doesn't it? I want one i can chip ;)

Any help is appreciated.

Looks real nice mate but may i ask what automotive experience you have?

I am really really keen to do this swap on my 318i but i have limited experience and am loosing confidence, have ripped apart an engine and stuff before and have a few mates who have taken engines out before etc. The wiring seems a bit intense at this stage can you tell me how difficult the whole swap was for you? Any headaches you came across? Hooking everything up etc.

I've gathered alot of information on the swap and have a parts list and everything and what not.

Also are you meant to use 413 silver or red label cause one of them has ews doesn't it? I want one i can chip ;)

Any help is appreciated.

im a first year apprentice with a mechanical mind and i made my self a e30 m52. cheated a little by buying a setup ready to install but ended up re-doing the wiring exhaust ect anyway so didnt make much differance. the actual work isnt as hard and youd expect, and if you do run into any issues just put them up on your project thread and youll have an anwser an hour later.

but be prepared on the money side of things, number one rule figure out how much itll cost, then double that number and make that your starting budget. its all the little things that make up the big bill

EDIT - btw where in NZ are you, helps alot in many different ways.

and sorry for the thread hack

Edited by SlowE30

That has certainly come a long way.

Well done!

thanks mate been a long road, counting the days ...weeks for when i can take it for a spin.

Looks shweet man, You'll like the noises it makes ;)

Yeah was wanting do try and keep a budget as most people. I already have the diff, rad, box and shifter linkage. Im in Hamilton so not too far from auckland which will most likely have alot more parts available than here.

I do have a few questions for the nz m50 swappers though ;)

How much does it cost to get the m50 swap certed and is there any things which i should pay special attention too before going for a cert? Also is it like a wof where if you fail you can just go off and fix it then come back and they tick it off for free? or do you have to pay all over again.

Also which is the one to use? silver label 413 or red? ill probably be getting a NV m50 out of an e34.

With the wiring harness is it possible to plug part of it into the wrong sensor? Noob question but i am noob afterall haha. Have been doing alot of research and what not but still have a few questions.

If i ever get the money together to do this conversion ill be sure to post it all up on this forum :)

Cheers

Yeah was wanting do try and keep a budget as most people. I already have the diff, rad, box and shifter linkage. Im in Hamilton so not too far from auckland which will most likely have alot more parts available than here.

How much does it cost to get the m50 swap certed and is there any things which i should pay special attention too before going for a cert? Also is it like a wof where if you fail you can just go off and fix it then come back and they tick it off for free? or do you have to pay all over again.

Also which is the one to use? silver label 413 or red? ill probably be getting a NV m50 out of an e34.

With the wiring harness is it possible to plug part of it into the wrong sensor? Noob question but i am noob afterall haha. Have been doing alot of research and what not but still have a few questions.

If i ever get the money together to do this conversion ill be sure to post it all up on this forum :)

Cheers

hi mate,

budget ?? i tried to stick to a budget, its all the little things that you dont think off that blows the budget.

the wiring as far as i know the m52 had different plugs for each sensor ..so you do need to be careful as most of the plugs on the m50 are the same .

as for cert mine isnt at that stage but again as far as i know certifier will check over conversion if he sees anything wrong will tell you ,but i dont think it costs anymore for another check...

red 413 ecu used

Looks shweet man, You'll like the noises it makes ;)

thanks mate i have them fitted sounds mint ...lovin it.

Cheers

Just use the ECU that went with the engine.

Just use the ECU that went with the engine.

that would be cheaper :banghead: ,mine didnt come with ecu nor loom.

ecu from the states and loom from jon.more $$$$

Thanks for replies guys and sorry to hijack your thread. Yeah i just remember reading that one of them has ews and you need to have it in original chassis for it to work. Unless you have an ews disabling chip.

For the sensors and plugging wrong things etc. When i get the pinouts for the x20 plug, would i be able to go by the colour from the x20 plug to sensor? the colours wouldn't change throughout the harness would they?

As for budget i don't really have one yet but i plan to buy parts as i save.

small update:

new wheels

fitted ultra racing 23mm frnt swaybar

19mm rear ultra racing swaybar

front and rear strut braces

battery moved to the boot

windows tinted

autometer oil pressure,oil temp and air fuel

will get pics up once i have new computer .

im having one issue is that my rev counter doesnt seem to be working,ive checked signal its reading right.any one have any ideas`??

Edited by frederic

i had this issue after doing my conversion, tried swapping the dash cluster and still the same. after some hunting i found one of the earth wires for the interior electics was becomming quite touchy. i never found the conecting point of the earth to the body (the manual i had said it was under the carpet by the passengers seat) so i found the wires within the fuse box and gave them a secure grounding. not sure if this has any chance of being relevant but still worth a try.

was the rest of your gauge cluster working?? mine everything else is working (fuel,speedo,tempandmillage all working)