Sign in to follow this  
Top Secret

E30 325i build - Picture heavy

Alright, well it got a wof easily enough. I'm surprised they didn't ping me for being too low, or the tail lights.

To do list:

Get some harder springs that will give me the same basic height. Driveways are a bit of a pain now, but ah well, no biggie. These are 4 cyl springs, and they are a bit too soft, so the shocks bottom out.

Cut and reweld the exhaust. The lower-back part sits about 50-60mm off the ground and likes scraping the sh*t out of everything.

Fit my Tech 1 side skirts

Put the interior back together properly and get all the fiddly lights sensors and lights working.

Possibly get some 20mm spacers.. I see Blair happens to have some. Hmm. Will mean my guards have to be rolled. Anyone keen to help? Haha

Get all the runs out, give it a buff and a polish

Fit and shadowline the trim

Paint the bumper centres black

Get a new bonnet badge.

Align all the doors.

Give the seats a leather reconditioning. Any advice here?

Get new carpet.

Jeez, I didn't know the list got that long

Once all that is done, this car will be pimpin...in a good way :lol:

Mothers leather conditioner is alright if the seats aren't too far gone, I use the cleaner first too.

Leatherique is pretty good stuff. I used them on my e39 and the seats came up near on new. Works really well if the leather is pretty rigid from age and sun damage.

You can get it from autogeek.net It's about $100 delivered and it should let u do the front and rear seats a few times.

Ok, bit of an update.

Managed to get the whole thing buffed, cut and polished. There are a couple of sections we have to repaint and do touch ups on, but that's no biggie. It will do for the meantime.

Got the window trims all fitted, the bumpers repainted, and the centres painted gloss black instead of the usual satin. It turned out well.

Excuse the grainy last minute photos. Resizing them reduced the quality somewhat. I will have to do a proper shoot.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

So, a friend backed into me last night. Luckily the damage was just to the door. The sill and guard are untouched.

Where is a good panel beater in Hamilton?

Other than that, I put in some Superlows actually meant for a 6 cylinder, so I can actually turn corners now. A little bit higher though :(

new door would be WAY cheaper than panel beating that out

... On the good side as well

I know right, just my luck.

Yeah, I'll be getting a new door, so I guess spray painters is a better term. I just want a place that will do a good quality job

Guest Ari Gold

Gutted for you mate, how fast were they going!?!

Don't bother panel beating them, just get some straight used doors.

Gutted as! Shouldn't that say "ex-friend"? :P

So I got it back from the panel beaters. Just for the front two doors, it 'cost' $1700. I didn't pay as it was done through insurance, but still, wow! Fairly happy with the job, couple of minor spots but I'm not really too worried.

Also lowered my daily 318i last night, and I'll be doing a few small things to that - dying carpet, redding tail lights, euro plates, possibly painting it.

Posted Image

Edited by Top Secret

Thread dig.

It's been sitting underneath my friend's house this whole year, but I am planning on getting it out in the Uni break and enjoying it again. I sold my daily E30, and didn't realise how much I'd miss it.

In order to be happy with it, I need:

A new or good second hand battery

Carpet with foam underlay

Diff, as the one in there is making a whining noise. Still works fine, so not sure if it is bearings or whatever.

Some buffing/polishing/restoring work on the paint. It has buffing marks and just needs some TLC.

Fixing the infernal water leak coming from heater box/windows/door frames/hell

A random cutting out/missing from time to time.

I'm slowly piecing together parts, but if someone has any of the above (including advice/help RE paint/leak/missing) then send me a PM

Cheers

Posted Image

Got an easy wof. Also tried on my friend's ACSs. Looks quite nice I thought.

Managed to get a crack free dash and put it in. However, after I put it in an annoying sound started coming from the fan, so maybe something fell in. Sigh, I'll take it out again.

wheels look good.

I've got a 3.64 open diff here if you're still after one.

Love how well the wheels work to set off the car! Mint.

i don't do shinny but that's a very nice color and great paint job, great effort :D

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Purple E30 next to my new addition.

Thanks to AJ for sorting me a distributor cap, and some temperature senders through Pelican parts. Also got an ignition rotor off a guy on TradeMe.

As you can see, the old parts were shot. Now the car settles to a nice smooth idle directly from cold, whereas previously it took a little while to become smooth. Sounds and goes just like a standard M20 should :)

WD on the FAL purchase, two manual E30s 325s is just awesome.