Sign in to follow this  
koruki

F10 M5 alternatives

Hi guys,

Just wanted to get some input from the community, although the response might be a little bias =)

We are considering ordering the new F10 M5 and wondered if there were any good alternatives we should also look into. We currently have an E46 M3 which I personally love but we are looking at something with 4 doors (thinking ahead such as having kids etc). We have looked at Audi's offerings but the RS4 has been out of production for a while now and the next one isn't likely to arrive for a year or two. RS6 is out of budget =)

Hi guys,

Just wanted to get some input from the community, although the response might be a little bias =)

We are considering ordering the new F10 M5 and wondered if there were any good alternatives we should also look into. We currently have an E46 M3 which I personally love but we are looking at something with 4 doors (thinking ahead such as having kids etc). We have looked at Audi's offerings but the RS4 has been out of production for a while now and the next one isn't likely to arrive for a year or two. RS6 is out of budget =)

Well, I have the e90 M3 and it is a brilliant 4 door that keeps the RS4 at bay quite handily. The M5 will be straight line faster, but as you know, the M3 is pretty hard for it to beat on the track.

The e90 V8 is possible the last of the NA M cars - so it might be a good one to keep. Otherwise, the F30 M turbo models will be out in a couple of years... (They follow the standard 3 series by a year or two)

I've driven a ton of Audis and Mercs (on track and off) and you will not be very happy going from one of the best M3s to any Audi - the understeer will drive you nuts!!

Hard pressed to go past the current 4 dr M3 i think...

If the RS6 is out of budget how would the F10 M5 be affordable? Aren't they similarly priced?

My vote ... Lexus IS-F (great bang for buck in my opinion) and way less thirsty than the V8 in the M3 (borderline ridiculous to be honest, but not as bad as the Merc C63, now that IS thirsty).

If the RS6 is out of budget how would the F10 M5 be affordable? Aren't they similarly priced?

My vote ... Lexus IS-F (great bang for buck in my opinion) and way less thirsty than the V8 in the M3 (borderline ridiculous to be honest, but not as bad as the Merc C63, now that IS thirsty).

One thing I can not stand about the IS-F. The Diff.

my neighbour had the IS-F. Said it was always changing gears.

When you have 8 I guess it can be a problem.

Plus those fake exhaust pipes.....ewww.

There is no alternative to an M5.

Edited by M5V8

Don't forget the gearbox and the unusable power curve. Oh, and the ride, and how it looks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Other than that, its a great machine...

The 2010 models have a locking diff.

Have any of you actually driven an IS-F? It's not that bad, pretty good actually, enough to make me want to trade : )

Like I said, factor in the $ value and it's a pretty good alternative to the German equivalent.

Edited by M3_Power

The 2010 models have a locking diff.

Have any of you actually driven an IS-F? It's not that bad, pretty good actually, enough to make me want to trade : )

Like I said, factor in the $ value and it's a pretty good alternative to the German equivalent.

Yes. The M3 is FAR better to drive. The IS-F is a good car, but even after the $$ ouch has faded away, you are left with an IS-F and it's automatic gearbox, cheap ass looks, fake quad exhausts etc etc etc etc....

Again, it's not bad to drive - but if you need to compromise because of cost - get a 335i 4 door instead. At least you can order a manual.

335 sedan or wagen would be the pick, just as quick as an E46 M3 and very well priced (second hand), plus six speed manual, we have an average KM 335 wagen in six speed manual with all the options ticked for 60g.

Yes. The M3 is FAR better to drive. The IS-F is a good car, but even after the $ ouch has faded away, you are left with an IS-F and it's automatic gearbox, cheap ass looks, fake quad exhausts etc etc etc etc....

Again, it's not bad to drive - but if you need to compromise because of cost - get a 335i 4 door instead. At least you can order a manual.

Fair opinion, although I don't consider the IS-F to be that far off the M3 to be honest, at Pukekohe they are about a 1sec apart in the hands of a former F1 driver (no bull). I'd happily trade the M3 for an IS-F however if $ was a factor and convenience taken into account (the IS-F is WAY roomier with a much larger boot compared to the E90 body.)

I would however NEVER own a 335i or anything with a N54 twin turbo in it - they are dog of an engine with LOADS of issues.

Edited by M3_Power

Fair opinion, although I don't consider the IS-F to be that far off the M3 to be honest, at Pukekohe they are about a 1sec apart in the hands of a former F1 driver (no bull). I'd happily trade the M3 for an IS-F however if $ was a factor and convenience taken into account (the IS-F is WAY roomier with a much larger boot compared to the E90 body.)

I would however NEVER own a 335i or anything with a N54 twin turbo in it - they are dog of an engine with LOADS of issues.

Funny how we see things eh? I owned a 335i coupe for 4 years without any major issues. Its certainly no dog performance-wise, but I think long term reliability may be in question for the N54 and N55 - esp around the fuel pump. Time will tell.

Funny how we see things eh? I owned a 335i coupe for 4 years without any major issues. Its certainly no dog performance-wise, but I think long term reliability may be in question for the N54 and N55 - esp around the fuel pump. Time will tell.

I don't think we see things too differently when it comes to the E9X M3. When it comes to the IS-F however we definitely aren't on the same page and this is despite my completely biased opinion. I actually rate the IS-F quite highly to be honest. [and no I don't own both of those below]

Posted Image

As for the N54 and N55, long term reliability is definitely an issue with these motors. The 'dog' comment really wasn't aimed at the performance side of things, but the reliability side. Having said that however, the S65B40 is also a bit of a concern long term wise (as you no doubt know personally). If I must be picky however, there is quite a bit BMW can learn from Lexus when it comes to reliability and a lot Lexus can learn from BMW when it comes to drivability.

Edited by M3_Power

I don't think we see things too differently when it comes to the E9X M3. When it comes to the IS-F however we definitely aren't on the same page and this is despite my completely biased opinion. I actually rate the IS-F quite highly to be honest. [and no I don't own both of those below]

Posted Image

As for the N54 and N55, long term reliability is definitely an issue with these motors. The 'dog' comment really wasn't aimed at the performance side of things, but the reliability side. Having said that however, the S65B40 is also a bit of a concern long term wise (as you no doubt know personally). If I must be picky however, there is quite a bit BMW can learn from Lexus when it comes to reliability and a lot Lexus can learn from BMW when it comes to drivability.

Nice cars!!

I think Lexus might get there one day - it will depend if they can innovate rather than just copy. They have proven with the LFA that they can innovate, but can't do it cheaply.

Well, my M3 is running a brand new 2011 S65B40 as the previous 2008 one had a "noise". Solved in the facelift M3 (just look for the "new" iDrive). The nextgen engines to replace the N54 and N55 might be the go...we won't have a choice...and all other manufacturers will have to embrace turbos to get the efficiency anyway.

Buy F6, tweak it and laugh at everybody as they disappear in the rear view mirror.

If I must be picky however, there is quite a bit BMW can learn from Lexus when it comes to reliability and a lot Lexus can learn from BMW when it comes to drivability.

Too true Tom, well said.

The e60 M5 was selling new for around $250k when it came out so likely the F10 is selling for the same. The RS6 should be the same coin so surprised that you feel it is out of budget ??? The jump from a e46 to the F10 will cost you about $220k so that is some jump in anyone's car budget but hey, you may have won lotto ...

When the e60 M5 came out, there were SMG pump issues that caused a lot of gearboxes to implode and needed to be replaced. It took them a year to find the issue and roll out the fixes at factory. Although it is always nice to have the latest toy, my suggestion is to wait a year for the tweaks to be ironed out especially as it is a new platform and then buy one in 12 months time.

In the meantime, I would seriously suggest buying a e60 M5 to tie you over and then trade it in when the F10 arrives. A shameless plug but I am selling my beast on TradeMe in case you want a superb example with low kms ... :)

Your right, they are, I was under the impression it was around the 310k range. Too bad cause Audi isn't selling the RS6 anymore (bit surprised how affordable the RS5 is)

BTW seems the F10 M5 is sub 8 min at Nordschleife. :blink:

http://bit.ly/mijOTU

What are you after in a car?

I would say if your looking at the 5 series you after something thats not going to be used on the race track but will be used everyday but still want the M or motorsport feel. It will be about as good as you can get for the best of both worlds. Having your cake and eating it too.

TBH im not sure anything else will be as good. There will be many nearly as good's that will come along but as history shows with the 5 series, everyone else copies and nearly hits the mark.

Merc wont develope their mind set from auto gearboxes, Audi wont let understeer go and Lexus is japanese and not a euro. Porcshe is about the only company I know who are in the same price bracket with their Panamera

The e60 M5 was selling new for around $250k when it came out so likely the F10 is selling for the same. The RS6 should be the same coin so surprised that you feel it is out of budget ??? The jump from a e46 to the F10 will cost you about $220k so that is some jump in anyone's car budget but hey, you may have won lotto ...

When the e60 M5 came out, there were SMG pump issues that caused a lot of gearboxes to implode and needed to be replaced. It took them a year to find the issue and roll out the fixes at factory. Although it is always nice to have the latest toy, my suggestion is to wait a year for the tweaks to be ironed out especially as it is a new platform and then buy one in 12 months time.

In the meantime, I would seriously suggest buying a e60 M5 to tie you over and then trade it in when the F10 arrives. A shameless plug but I am selling my beast on TradeMe in case you want a superb example with low kms ... :)

I've had the F10 M5 HEA pricing through from BMW and they are saying 225K for the new M5 with a January delivery. The spec sheet is very good with everything you could want in my opinion.

I have a 2009 E60 M5 that I will take a bath on to get into the new M5, but hey - you only live once. If anyone is keen on a 09 M5 done about 15Km then let me know.

I've had the F10 M5 HEA pricing through from BMW and they are saying 225K for the new M5 with a January delivery. The spec sheet is very good with everything you could want in my opinion.

I have a 2009 E60 M5 that I will take a bath on to get into the new M5, but hey - you only live once. If anyone is keen on a 09 M5 done about 15Km then let me know.

Which BMW dealer is this? We went into last week to ask about it and was told they know production starts in Sep, no idea on price and would give us a call if they hear about pricing. Pricing has been released in some European counties. Its starting aroun 73kpounds which is pretty crazy since thats about 140 is in NZD based the high NZD we have. Euros is about 102k.

Which BMW dealer is this? We went into last week to ask about it and was told they know production starts in Sep, no idea on price and would give us a call if they hear about pricing. Pricing has been released in some European counties. Its starting aroun 73kpounds which is pretty crazy since thats about 140 is in NZD based the high NZD we have. Euros is about 102k.

Message sent