Sign in to follow this  
thorburn

Buying a car with no rego or warrant

I'm looking at buying a car that's had the rego lapsed for the last 6 months.

Is it just a matter of getting a warrant and paying for those 6 months? Is it the same cost as the usual 6 month rego?

Otherwise if i was to part it out, do i hand in the rego and plates and forget about all money owed?

Either way you're going to have to pay the rego. :(

you only pay reg from when you transfer the ownership to your name , so if its out of date they will send a bill to old owner .

, so buy the car , get a wof , transfer the ownership then buy reg from that date.

Cheers Brent and polley.

So who's right?

The owner wants the change of ownership done before i take the car. So i should only be paying for how long it takes me to get a warrant? hopefully

Cheers Brent and polley.

So who's right?

The owner wants the change of ownership done before i take the car. So i should only be paying for how long it takes me to get a warrant? hopefully

correct , change the ownership at DOS , then put the reg on hold if you are going to take a while to get a wof for it.

the old owner will still get the reg bill for when he owned it not you .

so thats not your problem ,

Cheers Brent and polley.

So who's right?

I dunno, I think you're gonna have to come to an agreement with him as to who is going to pay the rego? Or you could be stuck paying it all... Not sure what the law says on it.

I'm going to need to call up somewhere that does rego's tomorrow to double check.

I dunno, I think you're gonna have to come to an agreement with him as to who is going to pay the rego? Or you could be stuck paying it all... Not sure what the law says on it.

No chance. It says quite clearly in the law that rego is only your responsibility when the car is in your name. The 6 months it was in their name unregistered is their bill for them to sort out and nothing to do with the new owner.

If you buy a vehicle with an expired licence label (vehicle licensing is sometimes incorrectly called 'registration'), you're required to pay licence fees from the date you acquire the vehicle. If the vehicle isn't going to be used on the road, you should apply for an exemption from licensing. (Do this after you have notified acquisition.) You'll need to fill out an Application for exemption from continuous licensing form (MR24), available from NZTA agents or online at the Transaction Centre.

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/factshee...nd-selling.html

Edited by huff3r

No chance. It says quite clearly in the law that rego is only your responsibility when the car is in your name. The 6 months it was in their name unregistered is their bill for them to sort out and nothing to do with the new owner.

Ok I haven't read the law. But what happens if the previous owner doesn't pay the rego from before you bought the car? Can you still put rego on it, or do you have to wait for them to bring it up to date first?

Ok I haven't read the law. But what happens if the previous owner doesn't pay the rego from before you bought the car? Can you still put rego on it, or do you have to wait for them to bring it up to date first?

You can still put rego on it, and Mr debt collector may decide to pay them a visit.... probably not though haha.

Thank you very much Paul.

Last thing i want to hear about is debt collectors after the last experience

have brought plenty of cars with expired reg owing to old owner ,. thats there problem not yours once you change the ownership to your name.

unless the guy selling it wants you to pay for it before he sells it to you as part of the deal :wacko:

but its there responsiblitly to pay there reg when they own it!!!!!!

but check the car is not dereged , then you will have to recomply it and that will cost you heaps

have brought plenty of cars with expired reg owing to old owner ,. thats there problem not yours once you change the ownership to your name.

unless the guy selling it wants you to pay for it before he sells it to you as part of the deal :wacko:

but check the car is not dereged , then you will have to recomply it and that will cost you heaps

Ah ok, wasn't aware that they have to pay it.

Their.

HTH