Sign in to follow this  
Aslan

Rough idea on cost to recondition a BMW M54B30

Hi everyone!

As mentioned earlier I may have found a 2000 BMW 330i SE that I would like to buy, its mileage is quite high so I thought I'd check if anyone knew a rough estimate to recondition the engine.

Thanks in advance,

Aslan

Really depends on how far you want to go, I would estimate you would be looking at around $6-8k if you're getting someone else to do it.

Edited by bmw3

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :)

With the k's the car has done, you may want to get a BMW mechanic to give it a once over and let you know what maintenance will need doing soon. But there's no point in having the engine rebuilt if there's nothing wrong with it.

How many kms is high milage to you? I wouldn't be considering it until at least 400k depending on it's past lfe

HellBMW would do you a better deal than getting a rebuild, do the change as well. Talk to Ray.

Edited by Silver Fox

Ray had a moderate 70 ish km engine just a few weeks ago. PM him.

dont bother unless you need to , these engines will do plenty of miles as long as they are kept cool and oiled well .

just go over the coolant system , replace all old plastic water pipe parts , water pump and thermostat.

also service the trans while you are at it . trans will fail/wear out before the engine does.

about $3k for a good used engine.

a full rebuild could cost a lot more and not really need it unless the engine has been cooked or run out of oil , or had lack of oil changes which causes excess wear in the engine.

Edited by Brent HARTGE535i

How many kms is high milage to you? I wouldn't be considering it until at least 400k depending on it's past lfe

It's at 198,000kms. So it doesn't really need it yet?

it isn't this one is it? http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....t=0&start=0

second hand engines are about 3k on trademe

Yes, but the most recent one in there. The black one from Precision Automobiles.