Sign in to follow this  
deeveus

Tidy red E34 M540i in Dunedin

Ah so that guy that had it here must have traded it in for something else?

• Like 1

Do tell? Link?

it s this one isnt it?

same guy selling it that was on here asking about it. You can tell by his "internet accent" :lol:

Already been proved wrong about the "only" red Motorsport 540.

It is rare, but claiming just because it's the only one in red is a bit silly. I've spoken to BMW Dunedin, they say it is very rare and they give it a higher regard than a M325i for example.

It pisses me off when these things come along and I've just spent alot of money on a new work car lastweek!

Rare yes, only red Motorsport, no very very much no.

It kinda just goes to show, you never know what is hiding under the rocks even locally lol.

It kinda just goes to show, you never know what is hiding under the rocks even locally lol.

its a rare car but not any "rarer" than a 535is (for example)

It has to be more desirable than a 535is though?

It has to be more desirable than a 535is though?

why?,its exactly the same model just a a couple of years later.

Yeah, there was a guy called Stephan from Sweden who contacted this site a couple of years ago and he is a e34 540i 6-speed oracle and he came up with 4 NZ new Hell red 540i Sport 6 speeds..

There is one in Hawkes bay that is part of a collection which has 230 kms on the clock, this one in Dunedin, another one that was for sale at Global Prestige a few years ago (and it was definitely not either of the above). Last but not least, Stephan stated that there was a 1996 red 540is that in 2009 had 17,000 kms on the clock!

Either way, this is a fun car.

From my perspective, those arches have to be filled up with some bigger rubber- it would look spectacular with some 17" style 5's or M-Parallel 18" wheels.

535is's and 540is's are both very cool cars. However, the 540is is more competitive with a E34 M5!

I dont get why people do this.

The top bid was $11,050 with reserve set at $11,500. Why would you then offer for $13,000!?

Edit: Very nice car BTW.

Edited by 3 SERIES

I dont get why people do this.

The top bid was $11,050 with reserve set at $11,500. Why would you then offer for $13,000!?

Edit: Very nice car BTW.

Mmmm.... I know what you mean.....however I still think that is a fair price though yeah? Moderate k's, good provenance, relatively rare, etc. A similar 230km car example sold in January for sub $10k and I thought that was a burglary. This seems pretty fair (in my opinion).

Most of these E34's (M5's ,540is's, 535is's) have clocked inter-planetary mileages these days. I think what he wants is very justifiable (just presenting my opinion).

why?,its exactly the same model just a a couple of years later.

You asked a question on a question lol.

My guess it would be more desirable seeing it's a V8 & making it a bit close to an M5 ?

EDIT :

Visit My Website

Edited by The Diesel Guy

that would have been a good price to sell at

Yeah, 13k is a reasonable price but with the reserve at 11.5k that would be an even fairer price.

Yeah, 13k is a reasonable price but with the reserve at 11.5k that would be an even fairer price.

that what i meant

that what i meant

I think its a fair price also. Mine with now has 103k's on it, I had it valued for insurance purposes etc by grays at 17k. Its just as tidy as this one, if not slightly tidier. In reality its still an old car and the price is purely dependent on collectible status and desirability's. Anything around 10k is a good price.

Also of note is its only the second 540is I have seen with those mags, which are the same as mine, and they just look small and silly, hence why I am yet another rocking the 18" staggered m-pars...

Cheers

Would E34 540/6 Motorsport in red with MSport cloth front seats have gone up a hell of alot in recent years?

Just wondering as i know the guy who sold his in '08 for approx' $8800 and curious as to what it'd be worth now.

Here.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=172913725

Hi there, that car sounds nice.

To be honest, not sure that it would have appreciated, probably more likely to hold it's value. Sort of niche car, alot of people don't know about them, so sometimes a punter flicks it off for peanuts, thinking it's an old car with a manual gear-box (sort of what happened here in Dunedin when the owner of this car acquired it).. However, for those who are cognizant of it's niche status, would possibly pay between $8-$16k depending on age and mileage (based on sales over the last 2 years or so).

I think they have depreciated out and provided they are loved and maintained, they will always be worth around this money - kind of line with it's M-powered sibling, the E34 M5 (unless it is a super-rare 3.8). Just my thoughts...

so sometimes a punter flicks it off for peanuts, thinking it's an old car with a manual gear-box

Oh he knew what it was when he flicked it. He imported it (ex UK) himself, after he sold it he bought in a nice blue E39 M5 manual.

Mind you, he does have a bit of money, he owns this business.

http://www.c-quip.com

Hi there, that car sounds nice.

To be honest, not sure that it would have appreciated, probably more likely to hold it's value. Sort of niche car, alot of people don't know about them, so sometimes a punter flicks it off for peanuts, thinking it's an old car with a manual gear-box (sort of what happened here in Dunedin when the owner of this car acquired it).. However, for those who are cognizant of it's niche status, would possibly pay between $8-$16k depending on age and mileage (based on sales over the last 2 years or so).

I think they have depreciated out and provided they are loved and maintained, they will always be worth around this money - kind of line with it's M-powered sibling, the E34 M5 (unless it is a super-rare 3.8). Just my thoughts...

i think they can go down more yet...However "close" they are to an M5 they are not an M5 so they will always be worth less.

i think they can go down more yet...However "close" they are to an M5 they are not an M5 so they will always be worth less.

I agree with you, but the sad point is that there are alot of people who would love to buy an M5 but are paranoid of the costs associated with running a high mileage E34 M5. If you look at the market of the last few years there are alot of high k M5's which are selling for around the same price as a 540is..

My friend who recently sold his E34 M5 (which was a daily driver) was spending $5k / year to keep it on the road - a M60 powered E34 probably wouldn't cost that much. Some people just wouldn't touch an older, high-mileage M power car, despite their perceived collectability. Additionally, those in the know realise the 540is doesn't give too much in terms of out-right performance. So as the cars get older, I think they sort of end up roughly in the same price-bracket....