Sign in to follow this  
Jacko

E30 Engine swaps....

Thinking about next years project...

Done the M50 thing, craps all over M20 e30's, but...

I want something using a newer lower k's engine (ie something thats not bordering on needing a rebuild!), probably a jappa due to pricing and availability.

Want something NA, light, reliable, available, not rediculously hard to make fit (dont wanna chop firewall for instance) Must be able tobolt up a to a suitable manual box without having to make custom bellhousing etc. ~200kW of usable power would be nice.

Whats on the list of possibilities...

- Lexus 1uz VVTi Alloy V8 - 216kW, 418Nm. 190kg .Been done a few times, seems relatively pain free. Prices for them are a bit jacked up due to the V8 hilux crowd, but in saying that lots of conversion experience with them about

- Nissan VQ35DE/HR All alloy V6. 214kW, 371Nm, 142kg. Should have plenty of poke for an E30, and finding a 6 speed out of a 350Z shouldnt be too hard either. Surprising well priced for low k's examples. Will require aftermarket engine management to run, and a few aftermarket sensors, and a new throttle body..

Nissan VK V8 engine might be an option, the VH's seem a bit long in tooth, but seems a bit big and heavy..

Any other engines I should research a bit more?

Edited by Jacko

m54?

Maybe, know how to bolt it up at least! Whats a low k's M54B30 worth? (sub 100,000k, preferably sub 50,000!), be nice to have a bimmer engine. Got a few electric problems to solve, and its down a bit in power and torque compared to the above.

Whats an M54 weigh? Id imagine its similar to an M52 (~180kg)?

Edited by Jacko

Put in a rota in it mate B)

Ok srsly. Maybe a V8, they sound badass. M62 or VH41/5 ?

Edited by polley

LS1 is an idea.. but I was thinking something a bit more high tech :D

12A turbo Bo! sick as skids! .... :mellow:

BMW V8 would be nice, but they are pricey even for old engines (hell all wrecked bimmer engines are! Im still bitter about my M50 :P )

VH41/45 is an option, What do they have going for them over the 1UZ though? Seems to be more difficult with 0 gain, unless im missing something?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-mari...n-397039557.htm

That'd be pretty swish sticking out the bonnet of a touring :ph34r:

Hrrm yeah, if you get the later 1uz with the VVTI, then that would be the better option than the vh41.

Off the top of my head VH has larger valves, chippable computer and a few other things...

There's a bit of a rant about them here: Not too informative really.. http://forums.nicoclub.com/vh45-so-much-be...uz-t310375.html

RB25DETs aren't bad if a bit overpriced - good aftermarket support for them. Wouldn't bother with an RB20DET, too old. SR20DET out of an S15 might be ok...

The problem with BMW V8s is finding manual gearboxes that aren't worth more than the engine itself... M10 turbo? Apparently they are tough as hell from the factory - throw a computer in it + a huge turbocharger... away laughing..

Edited by Surge

LS1 is the best only option

1UZFE

It's substantially lighter than my M50B25, I'm having to replace the front springs because now with the alloy V8 the front has less sprung weight and it sits 3" higher!

I went for a 1st generation 1993 Motor, as at some stage I will look at going FI, so the VVTi was not that good an option. If your going to stay NA, they are ideal - although I have heard the quality went down with some of the newer ones vs the other ones. <_<

Edited by E36V8

Why is VVTI no good for boost? Would it not help it spool earlier?

LS1 is the best only option

Incorrect. LS2 is your friend.

6 ltrs in a package that's lighter and more compact than any other besides a 4 banger.

this?

Maybe 4 of em, V16.... :ph34r:

Im still liking the 350Z engine, E30 335iZ Touring? :unsure:

The 6 speed out of the 350's ratio's look like they would work well E30 diff's too...

3.64 Diff, 6MT box, 7.5k redline, 17/40/235's

Tyre Diameter = 1946.17 mm

1st Gear = 63.42 km/h

2nd Gear = 103.53 km/h

3rd Gear = 148.15 km/h

4th Gear = 189.3 km/h

5th Gear = 240.6 km/h

6th Gear = 303.02 km/h

AKA, 2500 rpm in 6th at 100kmh..

Edited by Jacko

350z would be pretty cool and different and they like boost to iff you decide to go that way in the future..... but you know what i think about 1uz's in E30s :)

350z would be pretty cool and different and they like boost to iff you decide to go that way in the future..... but you know what i think about 1uz's in E30s :)

I think im gonna need to take your E30 for a blat :D

Mate has a 350Z, tiptronic though... need to borrow keys for that too :rolleyes:

Posted Image

Wonder what it looks like under that plastic crap :D

That gets my vote

do it!

Hahaha, M383i ?

Slightly more $ than I was thinking... about 3x as much...