Sign in to follow this  
APT

BMW Wagons

Looking at buying a BMW Wagon,

Can anyone comment on E39 or E46 wagons? will only be used for city driving and long distance, wont really be going up mountains or snow. What breaks on these ? what are the under powered models ? - i have had a 318i E46 sedan before and that was okay.

I like the motorsport version E46's..especially the interior and kit !

Anyone know of any examples around ? - would consider e36's as well.

Thoughts on these ?

318i motorsport: http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/...n-389846656.htm

328i http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=399907392

Thanks Guys.

I test drove an e46, but they are quite small loadspace. Think a late corolla wagon. Was the deal breaker for me, they are beautiful to drive. Was a 320 iirc. Haven't had/driven an e39 but will have much bigger load space, and the bigger engine the better. Walk away from anything less than a 528, they are heavier than an e34 wagon and my 2.5 struggles let alone the 2L

Hope it helps a bit

E39 will have the TU engine so dual Vanos which means a 525 wag will still have plenty of torque, the 3.0 litre M52 TU are a pretty trick motor though.

I've been looking at getting a wagon also for work, just become self employed! Was thinking this although I'm guessing it's going to go up a bit near the end.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/...n-400389462.htm

Going to be carrying tools and stuff around in it. Want something modern, nice looking and reliable, not overly uneconomical, but not overly boring and gutless. Any advice what to stay away from etc? What to look out for? etc?

Agreed with Greg - nothing wrong with the E39 2.5 TU engine. Not a rocket ship off the mark but still quite OK & certainly no slug. I certainly wouldn't go 2.0l though.

I would though, if getting another, probably go for 530i

E39 tourings have a rubbish ride generally but are an awesome wagon if you can put up with it.

E46 tourings are awesome machines but suffer a little in the space department, even a 318i with an N42 or later engine is great, obviously a 330i is a wicked car, awesome power and handling, almost the perfect car in my opinion.

Ive done many many kms in an E39 wagon carting bumpers and the likes around the country (much better than trapsing around the place in a transit van) and they are a great car if you can put up with the hard rear suspension.

a 525i M54 or M52TU will be suffice if you like good economy and reasonable pace, but a 530i is MUCH torquier even though only 500cc difference seems like alot more.

a 540i is fantastic but generally only NZ new, and quite pricey for equivelant year, spec etc and also dearer to maintain.

All depends what you want....

Dont get the hard ride thing you guys talk about.

Softer than our 330 motorsport, or maybe I'm just harder than you pansies.

maybe you got one with miracle suspension :P

ive driven probably 20 or more e39 tourings with super hard rear suspension, in saying that some ive driven have been fine.

Ok so what i get from this is for E39's look at getting a 525i, ideally a 530i. E39 Wagons have stiff rear suspension.

E46 wagons cant carry as much as E39's but 318i N42 are sufficient for good city driving?

Might have to test drive a few car this weekend.

This E30 wagon has popped up a few times: http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/...n-398726119.htm

general e 39 issues are well known,There is a e39 buyers guide somewhere on this site.

Edited by kiwi535

this looks like a nice piece of kit

E34 540 Wagon, TM 380218830

There is one of those around in Wellington, owned by a painter :o The thought of that lovely piece of kit being covered in paint... :( Edited by Sick Puppy

There is one of those around in Wellington, owned by a painter :o The thought of that lovely piece of kit being covered in paint... :(

yeah offered to buy it, but he just wants to run it into the ground. it looks mint on the outside, but the interior is shagged from what i saw. its a fair point he had though, its not ofter you can get the power, loadspace and price all at the right balance. they are a great car

This needs a good checking over..

CEL light was on, but they were getting that cleared apparently, were more than happy to take it to bmworkshop or botany motor worx however, not sure if they were keen to pay for things if something came up though..

Was gonna swap my 540 for it, but there is a bit of a shake coming from the steering, could be unbalanced rims however.. also if you put the gas pedal down quick its a bit delayed and has that hollow rattle sound.

Also its ex Jap, no indication of cooling system being done and has the crappy infra-red jap key.

Immaculate inside and out though.

Couldnt justify parting with the v8, the easy power is too addictive to give up.

Despite my 13.8/L/100km consumption.

Edited by shaneg

I traded my 540i sedan for a 530i touring as I needed the space for work gear.

I can honestly say that although I do miss the V8 grunt, the 530i is a better drive.

It has enough grunt for passing and corners a lot better than the sedan ever did.

Much more comfortable long distance cruiser, the firm suspension actually makes for a better long distance car IMHO

I have had the 530i for 18 months now, just a couple of usual E39 niggles ( Heater taps, ABS CPU, cracking plastic parts in engine bay, Windscreen washer pump ) But these are fairly normal failures for E39

I have a friend with a E46 Touring - MUCH smaller load space and lacks features such as the 16:9 screen etc.

You will not regret it if you buy carefully :)

Was gonna swap my 540 for it, but there is a bit of a shake coming from the steering, could be unbalanced rims however.. also if you put the gas pedal down quick its a bit delayed and has that hollow rattle sound.

Control arm bushes maybe?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/...n-400040972.htm ???

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/...n-375742369.htm ???

Who wants to check out some cars up in auck for me for a few dozen? These two are the two I'm seriously looking at. Is the mileage on the 2003 anything to worry about? Would be flying up and driving down to christchurch if I win one.

Was a lower speed than the control arm bush shimmy..

Was still nice though, just needs a good inspection beforehand

Was a lower speed than the control arm bush shimmy..

Was still nice though, just needs a good inspection beforehand