Sign in to follow this  
gouba

general parts ordering

I am just looking for some quick advice. i want to order a bunch of random crap for my e30 (new radiator pipes, PS pipes and res, new gear box seals, shifter parts, tail light seals etc.).

Is it cheaper to order them locally or is it cheaper to order through pelican parts? ANy input would be greatly appreicated.

I've all ways found it cheaper to get stuff from pelicanparts.I'll be need some other bits from there soon.

Second is euroitalian

Always, unless its real heavy stuff like brake rotors etc then shipping cost to much

unless its really pricey i prefer to support local,cos they the ones we need if we get in a real jam

You guys should look at the dealers more often .. I priced up a part from all the usual cheap online etailers then priced up from the dealers ... it turned out $30 cheaper from Jerry Claytons than anyone else after GST and freight.

The US dollars doing wierd things at the moment .. dont always assume its cheaper over seas. US have to purchase against the euro remember and whos $$ is stronger. Saying that my usual euro parts etailers couldnt match it either.

You guys should look at the dealers more often .. I priced up a part from all the usual cheap online etailers then priced up from the dealers ... it turned out $30 cheaper from Jerry Claytons than anyone else after GST and freight.

The US dollars doing wierd things at the moment .. dont always assume its cheaper over seas. US have to purchase against the euro remember and whos $$ is stronger. Saying that my usual euro parts etailers couldnt match it either.

I have notcied this in the past 6 months or so aswell, though now im looking at E34 parts rather than E30. comes down to a supply demand thing.. there are more 3ers on the road so parts are cheaper because third parties have a bigger market. The down side (in Welly anyway) pretty much everything seems to be ex-Germany

Hybrid do you get preferential rates some how? I haven't got anything from the dealers in awhile after being put off earlier. Will have to have a try

The last thing i priced up at a dealer shocked me at how reasonable it was.... i just find it a pain having to call them to check availability then having to sort out picking it up. Rather buy online (where itll tell me availability) and get it shipped to work. Damn technology has made me lazy!

do the maths yourself, heres a link for finding the part number, then do a search. i had to get a new right front engine cover, quoted around 450 nzd, part only, got it imported from the states for 140 nzd, including freight. gst is a killer.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do?vin=GF13304

http://www.ecstuning.com/

Yeah dollar comes into play.

I agree some items locally are well priced but seems like the more expensive parts and less common ones are usually way more expensive than overseas, even with added shipping costs.

I do buy local for odd part now and again but for bulk orders i cant see dealers being cheaper, not to mention the hassle as to availability and shipping etc as mentioned

Prefer to buy local and suppport local people.

Jerry Claytons are always good on service , It appears BMW NZ have cut back on what they stock.

Agreed, people buying over the net may have contributed to this. Also buying from overseas will effect our economy,whether it be car parts , clothes or what ever,

Edited by Jono51

mmm is a tricky one all of us would like to support the NZ market I feel in one way or another. BUT and their always will be one do your research and see what the prices, freight and time span are first to see what you can afford, wait for or are willing to pay for the items. From my own experience the BMW dealers prices have not compared well with other NZ company's or the over seas company's dealing in the same product lines even with the discounts given i.e. BMW car club member, warranties etc.