Sign in to follow this  
Jacko

WRX STi's

Give Subtech a call on 580 2253and speak to Gareth or Brad.

Thanks for that Johno, Subtech were brilliant, They knew what they were talking about, very through, and comprehensive, and at a totally resonable hourly rate. Highly recommended.

Ill be taking any future Subarus to them for everything.

All sorted, stressful mess, but got there in the end.

Have a learnt a lot from this little woopsie.

#0 - Most important - Before handing over cash on any vehicle, take copies of their advertisement, before they delete it! Misrepresentation of the vehicle is big point you can stand on. Without it to reference, you've lost a big chunk of your case.

#1 - Dont trust anyone you dont know, even if they are "professionals"

#2 - Dont trust used car salesman..... ;)

#3 - The MVDT is one hairy unfriendly monster you dont want to deal with, if it can be avoided.

#4 - Used car dealers will use every dirty trick in the book to try to get you to back down. They will question everything and push every button they can.

#5 - If you believe in your claim under the CGA and FTA, DO NOT BACK DOWN! Read the CGA and FTA from both sides (dealer and consumer) and note breaches you believe they have made. Its a grunty piece of legislation that is for the most part, on your side.

#6 - Take copies of everything, record everything. Times/dates. Everything in writing (x5 if going to tribunal). Go buy a big f**k off folder to keep sh*t organised and ready to be pulled out and quoted quickly.

#7 - If something is said over the phone, note it (time and date), and ask for it in writing if a major point

#8 - Learn the legal meaning of the phrase "without prejudice" and use it where appropriate

#9 - Keep a level head in all correspondence, the dealer will try to f**k you off and make you say something dumb. Take 5, write down what you want to say. Get someone else to proof read it. Then write it again. Then proof read it again. Rinse and repeat as necessary and then click send.

#10 - Used car dealers are not as clever as they sound. Think about their correspondence too you, step back and look at it from the big picture. They are trying to f**k with you, dont let em.

#11 - If your case is valid, they know it as well as you, despite what they say. They want to go to tribunal WAY less than you do.

#12 - If you ever want to buy a car in Nelson, PM me first! :ph34r:

Edit - Needed more proof reading :D

Edited by Jacko

Nah got a solid pay out, to fix all the problems. Should end up with NZ's mintest GF8 WRX in a few weeks!

To get my money back wouldve required tribunal, wouldve been heard in January, with a decision up to 5 weeks after that! Which would leave me fuct for a car until then.

The vehicle testing station owner ended up being a pretty decent guy, he called me up and apologised genuinely and also flicked me some money to cover costs. He did BS over the compressions, and wasnt exactly thorough with the pre purchase inspection! But, he did right his wrongs in the end.

The car dealer remains a cowboy, who I wouldnt touch with a barge pole now. Hopefully he may think twice about trying to screw people now..... Maybe... Probably not... :rolleyes:

Edited by Jacko

awesome outcome Chris, good on you. were you parked on Mt Eden Valley Rd yesterday by any chance?