Sign in to follow this  
varun1794

m50 swap exhaust question

hey guys iv got a 1990 f/l e30 320i with the twin exhaust from the m20b25

iv just bought a m50b25 to swap in and was wondering if there are any bmw parts that can make those headers fit my exhaust or is custom wotk required

Custom work is required to your existing front exhaust pipe and to the rear manifold to clear the steering shaft

Custom work is required to your existing front exhaust pipe and to the rear manifold to clear the steering shaft

ok sweet aslong as i dont need a whole custom exhaust made.... i love the sound of bmw exhausts

ok sweet aslong as i dont need a whole custom exhaust made.... i love the sound of bmw exhausts

good luck if you are going to attempt doing this using OEM parts. I measured it up etc, and ended up going full custom. Theres nothing special about a stock bmw exhaust system, its the engine that you hear, and provided you use glasspacks, this wont change. i had three off the shelf glass packs, nothing fancy and it was roudy, so if i was to do it again, i would import better quality stuff.

id say go full custom, makes the car so much better. and andy yea it sounds awesome with the set up you had. if only it was quite enough for cert, it 3 decibels over <_< and with the manifolds, make sure you use the m52 ones. the cast ones arnt able to be modified to fit past the steering rack

Yeah I'm having a bitch of a time even with m52 stainless manifolds, the rear half collides with the steering coupler right where everything joins and exhaust shops round here don't even want to try bending it, and I have no bending gear for that sort of thing. How did you other guys with m52 manifolds sort it?

Just cut it off, and get some new pipe / bends and make a new section. ez pz

id say go full custom, makes the car so much better. and andy yea it sounds awesome with the set up you had. if only it was quite enough for cert, it 3 decibels over <_< and with the manifolds, make sure you use the m52 ones. the cast ones arnt able to be modified to fit past the steering rack

only 3? wow thats great i thought it would be more. however the guy that built it wasnt sure on what level it would create as he had never done one for a BMW before, so i told him use what you would do if it had an RB28 Nissan in it as its pretty much the same, so he has got it pretty close then! you will notice that you could fit in another resonator under the car if you wish, they were going to put two in the center section, but i told them to budget for 3 but just put two in, so that i could put another in later if i needed to for cert. However he also mentioned that the car MAY need a Cat to pass certification (as the E36 328i had one) which will drop the sound itself. that was the other reason we left that space.

Just cut it off, and get some new pipe / bends and make a new section. ez pz

this is what my guy did. it works well. I dont think it would be possible no matter who you took it too if you didnt do that.

DONT buy ones off eBay as they are for LHD cars

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

with the steering coupler not sure if mines worse or not because ive used an e36 steering rack but to make the cap there bigger i used a can from spagetti or peaches or whatever, cut the same pattern into the bottom of it, made itthe same height and painted it, it still hits every once and a while which i can only tell by the paint being scratched , and its still just as strong as the old sheild and looks just as professional. going to get pit stop to check out the manifold tho and see if anything can be done so there is never any hitting.

and with the exhaust i was either going to question the certifier about the cat and do what ever was nessasary that way, ormake up a plate to restrict the exhaust, will mount where the exhaust joins and will be hidden under exhaust sealer which has been used on every other join in the exhaust, get the exhaust certified and get the plates stamped into it, then remove the plate and just go with it. i know it sounds dodgy but i just love the way it sounds and want to keep it that way

one more question guys im about to get my e30 back this or next week with the m50 and since i work at a fabrication shop i was going to build a custom alloy cold air box and get a pod filter but my question is do you loose hp or torque becaquse obviously i dont mind gains or the sound from them but i wouldnt do it at the cost of loosing power

Depends completely on how you design it

Your not going to gain or loose much either way unless your pumping hot air

Who did your M50 Swap ?

Depends completely on how you design it

Your not going to gain or loose much either way unless your pumping hot air

This.

Try and mount the filter as close in behind the headlights. Alternatively you can even cut a hole in the metal under where the airbox used to be and put rubber around the hole so it doesnt cut your rubber hose. however, check with your certifier, some might fail you for it, most wont (i know of a few that wont). Then put the hose and filter as close to the ground as possible

Who did your M50 Swap ?

interested too!

Then put the hose and filter as close to the ground as possible

lol.

watch out for puddles if you do this.

hey guys iv got a 1990 f/l e30 320i with the twin exhaust from the m20b25

iv just bought a m50b25 to swap in and was wondering if there are any bmw parts that can make those headers fit my exhaust or is custom wotk required

synthe bmw in takanini