Sign in to follow this  
deeveus

Buying 320d

We've sold our Kia diesel and looking at a 320d Msport. Anyone here know what to look for on these? Seems to pull really well and seems tight also. Handles like a bloody go cart too I might add!

post-2864-1321906792.jpg

Ended up buying it from turners auction through the live bid thing! Ended up owning it for 6k

It's done quite high k's (205k) but it seems tight and I've had it up on the hoist with a quick mech inspection, car is NZ New and 5 speed manual & sold locally at Cooke Howlison BMW.

Pics :

post-2864-1321918202.jpg

post-2864-1321918208.jpg

post-2864-1321918214.jpg

post-2864-1321918220.jpg

post-2864-1321918227.jpg

post-2864-1321918235.jpg

post-2864-1321918241.jpg

post-2864-1321918247.jpg

Edited by The Diesel Guy

Bloody nice result for 6k!

Check to see if the engine is one of the ones with potential swirl flap problems, and take them out if it is! Also keep an eye for turbo problems. Those are the main possible issues on the diesel, plus any general E46 problems.

Bloody nice result for 6k!

Check to see if the engine is one of the ones with potential swirl flap problems, and take them out if it is! Also keep an eye for turbo problems. Those are the main possible issues on the diesel, plus any general E46 problems.

I've read somewhere (another auction on trademe) that stated that these don't have the swirl flap issues?

Here : Another 320d

Wasn't sure how credible that was so I looked around and it seems to have a bit of weight to it, so hopefully I'm right! Also my engine is the 100kw 280nm version and the newer (facelift?) ones have the 110kw 330nm engine.

Edited by The Diesel Guy

VIN WBAAL72030AK76651

Type code AL72

Type 320D (EUR)

E series E46 (4)

Series 3

Type LIM

Steering RL

Doors 4

Engine M47

Displacement 2.00

Power 100

Drive HECK

Transmission MECH

Colour TITANSILBER METALLIC (354)

Upholstery STOFF LASER/ANTHRAZIT (G7AT)

Prod.date 2000-03-01

Options

Code Description (interface) Description (EPC)

S226A SPORTS SUSPENSION SETTINGS Sports suspension settings

S256A SPORT-/MF-STEERING WHEEL/CRUISE CONTROL Sports multifunct.strng whl,cruise cntrl

S302A ALARM SYSTEM Alarm system

P337A M SPORTS PACKAGE M Sports package

S411A WINDOW LIFTS, ELECTRIC Window lifts,electric,front/rear

S431A INTERIOR RR VW MIRROR W AUT ANTI-D Interior mirror with automatic-dip

S441A SMOKERS PACKAGE Smoker package

S481A SPORT SEATS F DRIVER/FRONT PASSENGER Sports seat

S520A FOGLIGHTS Fog lights

S534A AUTOMATIC AIR CONDITIONING Automatic air conditioning

S548A SPEEDOMETER WITH KILOMETER READING Kilometre speedo

S662A RADIO BMW BUSINESS CD Radio BMW Business CD

S692A CD CHANGER I-BUS PREPARATION Preparation, BMW 6-CD changer I-bus

S715A M AERODYNAMICS PACKAGE M Aerodynamics package

S760A INDIVIDUAL HIGH-GLOSS SATIN CHROME High gloss shadow line

Code Description (interface) Description (EPC)

S772A INTERIOR TRIM ALU BLACK CUBE Interior strip strips, Alu Black Cube

S775A INDIVIDUAL ROOF-LINING ANTHRACITE Headlining anthracite

S785A WHITE DIRECTION INDICATOR LIGHTS White direction indicator lights

S788A M LT/ALY WHEELS BMW LA wheel, Individual

S818A MAIN BATTERY SWITCH Battery master switch

S825A RADIO CONTROL OCEANIA Radio control Oceania

S850A ADD FUEL TANK FILLING FOR EXPORT Additional Export tank filling

S864A OVERSEAS/DEALER DIRECTORY Dealer List Overseas

S880A ENGLISH/OWNERS HANDBOOK/SERVICE BOOKLET Operating instructions, English

S925A SHIPPING PROTECTION PACKAGE Dispatch protection pack

S926A SPARE WHEEL Spare wheel

S984A CODING SERVICE INTERVAL Maintenance interval encoding

Cool so I've got the car & so far I'm very impressed with the performance and handling. Have only picked up on one issue and thats sometimes when you turn the car on the radio doesn't turn on, screen shows up with station but no sound!

What's the best stuff to use for cleaning the wheels? as I doubt the previous owner had done them for a while, I've used some CRC stuff I had here but it was about as good as an ashtray on a motorbike!

Some preliminary pics before it gets the hell groom!

post-2864-1322022888.jpg

post-2864-1322022896.jpg

post-2864-1322022903.jpg

Try Repco home branded wheel cleaner and a high powered hose.

Nice buy BTW!

Is that an acid based solution? I heard they can damage the clear coat on the wheels?

Wow, nice score for that money.

As has been said, take the manifold off and check the swirl flaps, if theres no carbon in the manifold it should be fine.

Dont take then out all together, the result isnt worth it.

Turbos arent as common as people make out and overall they are reliable. if its been serviced well and had the oil seperator/crankcase breather replaced regularly it should be sweet.

Dual mass flywheels are expensive and usually need to be replaced with the clutch if you ever need to.

And as said the main things you'll have to sort is the normal E46 stuff.

Happy motoring!

Wow, nice score for that money.

As has been said, take the manifold off and check the swirl flaps, if theres no carbon in the manifold it should be fine.

Dont take then out all together, the result isnt worth it.

Turbos arent as common as people make out and overall they are reliable. if its been serviced well and had the oil seperator/crankcase breather replaced regularly it should be sweet.

Dual mass flywheels are expensive and usually need to be replaced with the clutch if you ever need to.

And as said the main things you'll have to sort is the normal E46 stuff.

Happy motoring!

Cheers, I'm thinking the clutch won't be far away on it. What kind of dosh is it worth to have it done? Are they adjustable or?

Not adjustable, Hydraulic setup..

Clutch kit is normally around $500 (genuine BMW)

Flywheel is around $1,000

All depends what kind you get etc.

If you need to get anything give me a PM or an email as I sell parts for BMW.

Not adjustable, Hydraulic setup..

Clutch kit is normally around $500 (genuine BMW)

Flywheel is around $1,000

All depends what kind you get etc.

If you need to get anything give me a PM or an email as I sell parts for BMW.

Will keep this in mind, what sort of labour would BMW charge for this do you rekon? Just so I know when the time comes. I rekon I've got yonks before it needs to be replaced but just so I know.

Flywheel is around 2g and does not need replacing at every clutch replacement, have done ALOT of BMW clutches and only replaced one flywheel due to shudder on take off.

We replace alot quite a few flywheels.

Its more of a measure rather than a repair.

Labour isnt that intensive as they're pretty simple.

I took in yesterday and they said I have nothing to worry about for ages. Booked in there for a service!

Hi Everyone,

Apologies for hijacking this thread, long time reader first time poster. I have just purchased a 2006 (E91) 320d and the dealership has just replaced the clutch and flywheel as a part of the sale agreement. I receipts for the new clutch and flywheel from them, bear in mind the work was done at their workshop not at a BMW dealership or indy garage.

I got the car back last week and have noticed an very unusual amount of clutch shudder on takeoff especially on hill starts in first gear? The car shudders very violently and takes a while to grab and take off. Even taking off with 2000rpm (which is pretty high) the car still shudders badly. I have even had an issue with the car stalling out in these situations.

Any Ideas of what might be wrong? I wouldn't expect this from a brand new clutch and flywheel

I am pretty disappointed with the dealership not getting this right, makes me question if they even know what they are doing...

Cheers

I would suspect they fitted a system that doesn't work well, possibly a single mass unit, possibly meant for something else?

What sort of dollar values have they put on the parts?

A new clutch should be silky smooth - like Glenn says - talk to them.

I suspect you really wanted a new Dual Mass Flywheel and clutch, of OEM quality - they may have fitted something quite different (and probably cheaper).

Whatever was done - there is something very wrong - You want to talk to them very soon, or they might blame you for continuing to drive it, if you have a catastophic failure of some kind.

A genuine dual-mass flywheel for your car will be US$7-800, so over NZ$1k. You can get a LUK pattern part for a little over half that.

Regardless, either could be a lot more than they were expecting so they could have cut corners.

You don't say where you are so we can't recommend someone to take it to for an inspection, but this is not right. It won't get better with time.