Sign in to follow this  
mossline

Urban Exploring

Kinda, me and mark used to climb buildings and sh*t every now and then.

There is an abandoned underground train station / platform in hamilton we meant to check out, but I was scared of homeless people that might be living there.

You can climb inside the tauranga harbour bridge and walk inside it to the other side.

Guest Ari Gold

The Abandoned forifications aroung the top of Motutapu are great for exploring, and have the benefit of being pretty undiscovered compared to the Waiheke ones.

That massive abadoned house in St Mary's Bay that was knocked down about a year ago was very cool.

I'll post up the pics I took of two floors under a bar in High St when I get time, there were flyers from the seventies down there along with all the associated paraphernalia.

Would be good to see them!

The Abandoned forifications aroung the top of Motutapu are great for exploring, and have the benefit of being pretty undiscovered compared to the Waiheke ones.

That massive abadoned house in St Mary's Bay that was knocked down about a year ago was very cool.

I'll post up the pics I took of two floors under a bar in High St when I get time, there were flyers from the seventies down there along with all the associated paraphernalia.

Oh yeah, also found an underground shooting range that was abandoned, looked like it was used by the police.

You can climb up the street drains in taupo that end up in the lake, you can pop out all over the city.

Also you can climb under huka falls behind the falls itself

You can climb inside the tauranga harbour bridge and walk inside it to the other side.

Definitely doing this on Saturday night

Definitely doing this on Saturday night

You go in from tauranga end, mount end is locked. You need to climb up on to a concrete platform, and there is a steel grate above you that is hinged, open that and you can pull your self up and in. If you are short you might not be able to open it, or not able to climb in.

It might be locked now, but wasnt previously. There is an assortment of sewer pipes, water mains, electricity cables etc that run though it, some funny tagging and sh*t.

It's actually probably quite dangerous as it is a confined space and there could be gas build up in there (hydrogen sulfide, carbon monoxide, or combustibles etc) as the sewers go through it and they have vents on them.

Edited by polley

Haha my mate and I used to go round exploring places. We went to that boarding school in the Bombay hills which was pretty awesome, the army use it for urban combat training now though I think and i went inside that huge house next to the church on Richmond Road in Ponsonby next to some church awesome place also. I had a chat to the owner of it too and he said for $2mill you can buy it...

There is an abandoned underground train station / platform in hamilton we meant to check out, but I was scared of homeless people that might be living there.

There is/was an underground rail system in Hamilton?

I love abandoned stuff.

http://abandonedplaces.livejournal.com/

a particular interesting site you can just boggle for hours... some dude found a missle testing place, and a few abandoned hospitals.

There's a good write up of abandoned cities on Wikipedia too... pity they are a bit far away haha.

Yeah I love reading about urban decay - never actually managed the exploring part myself. There are some great photographers internationally (and possibly here, of course).

You go in from tauranga end, mount end is locked. You need to climb up on to a concrete platform, and there is a steel grate above you that is hinged, open that and you can pull your self up and in. If you are short you might not be able to open it, or not able to climb in.

It might be locked now, but wasnt previously. There is an assortment of sewer pipes, water mains, electricity cables etc that run though it, some funny tagging and sh*t.

It's actually probably quite dangerous as it is a confined space and there could be gas build up in there (hydrogen sulfide, carbon monoxide, or combustibles etc) as the sewers go through it and they have vents on them.

Sounds like Hitman Playstation game ;)

Urbex.co.nz is one, couple links to other nz sites...

I also do this sorta thing a bit haha...

I'm just waiting for a new set of lockpicks to arrive. Lockpicks.com had a 20% off sale haha.

Problem is you can't really do it in CHCH anymore, because I'm freaked out any abandoned place could be quake damaged and fall on top of me. Heaps of people have checked out the old maltworks in heathcote here and I saw some pictures of some abandoned apartments literally in the middle of town that you would never have guessed were abandoned.

I know Canty Uni and the hospital have heaps of tunnels under them, never given them a try though, but my brother who lectured at Uni got into a service tunnel there. I figure CPIT would have some, and I know Arts Centre has basements accessible from the outside. The only other big place I know has cool tunnels is the airport but they take security pretty seriously haha. Been down in them for work.

I'm just waiting for a new set of lockpicks to arrive. Lockpicks.com had a 20% off sale haha.

Err don't get your self in too much trouble lol.

Wow, I had no idea people were doing this in New Zealand (let alone that there was that much abandoned stuff around). Looks cool, and kinda spooky :D

Anyway there is a website which often has funny stuff on it out of Russia (and the rest of the former USSR) which often has lots of pictures of various abandoned Soviet military installations, state controlled "super factories" and all sorts of stuff:

http://englishrussia.com/2011/12/30/an-aba...us-next-to-ufa/

http://englishrussia.com/2011/12/06/what-s...hospital-keeps/

http://englishrussia.com/2011/12/04/russia...-was-abandoned/

There are tonnes of them in there the ones from the exclusion zone around Chernobyl are amazing.