Sign in to follow this  
richard

e36 motorsport

hi , i would like your help to ID a car i just brought . Long story short when i picked the car up today, its got motorsport badges all over it , wing morriors , boot spoiler , leather interior. Is there a way to tell the defferance from a geniuine one to a fake .

thanks

well it does'nt have a black hoodlining so i guess if i gut it , and turn it into a racecar no big loss

black hoodlinings a good start

This can be spec-ed regardless of MS status. Check the build-sheet for proper MS bits that actually got put in at factory when built.

yeah, build sheet. Lift up rear seat cushion and see if there is the bit of paper still stapled to the underside.

The seats are a pretty good giveaway but as mentioned pretty much anything could be specced to any model E36.

hi , i would like your help to ID a car i just brought . Long story short when i picked the car up today, its got motorsport badges all over it , wing morriors , boot spoiler , leather interior. Is there a way to tell the defferance from a geniuine one to a fake .

thanks

Are you talking E36 318is Motorsport?

Ok full story. its a 1993 e36 coupe , brought off TM site unseen for $500 . no-rego no wof and doesnt go. but not rusty, damaged or parts missing .A good startfor a racecar i thinks .

Anyway i was woundering if i have one of those" barn" finds you here about....

will post pics later today

and its a 320i

Edited by rich

well it does'nt have a black hoodlining so i guess if i gut it , and turn it into a racecar no big loss

It wouldn't have mattered either way. Nothing all that special about an optioned E36.

black hoodlinings a good start

The NZ new (but SA built) E36 318is Motorsport has a grey hoodlining.

IMO these are the only real E36 Motorsport models (other than M3's) in New Zealand, and a simular concept to E30 325 Motorsport (yet both cars cant be defined by a VIN).

built in Germany in 1993 was shipped to Singapore and in 2002 came to NZ other that i have no info on the car .

Isn't there not really such a thing really? Just a marketing term for an e36 with MS options? And at what point do the amount of options make it cross the line to be a 'motorsport?'

If its being turned into a race car who cares ? itll be stripped out and everything replaced and if your doing what I think your doing to it, to be compeditive I would ditch the geniune MS bumpers for fiberglass ones and lighten it up as much as possible.

If its being turned into a race car who cares ? itll be stripped out and everything replaced and if your doing what I think your doing to it, to be compeditive I would ditch the geniune MS bumpers for fiberglass ones and lighten it up as much as possible.

Yep your right on the money, ....but have to sell the e30 seriescar first,

Isn't there not really such a thing really? Just a marketing term for an e36 with MS options? And at what point do the amount of options make it cross the line to be a 'motorsport?'

As much so as a E30 325 Motorsport. As I said, you cant tell either a E30 325 Motorsport or an E36 318is Motorsport from the VIN.

But a real E36 Motorsport (318is) are late 1997's-1998 and have:

- Motorsport body kit (no M3 mirrors)

- Motorsport suspension

- Staggered Style 32 wheels

- Black leather with Motorsport stripes

- Clear indicators

- Twin airbags

- Dual climate air

They are pretty easy to spot.

Not really, no.

The E30 325is (or what ever it's called) was at least sold as a stand alone model.

When MS options are available on 318/320/323/325/328 E36s or E46s, kinda means nothing.

Having said that, the options are worth having. They turn an otherwise average car into something quite worth driving.

ok, this being my first e36 i am going to ask some silly questions from time to time .

first silly question is .......how to remove wheels without the locking key . gasaxe or coldchisel

No laughing

You need the locking key. Unless you have something that would fit an replicate one..

Hahaha.

No locknut key in tool kit or under the boot cover with jack?

Pretty sure there's only a couple of sizes if they're factory locks. Borrow/pinch one?

Or gas axe. But only if you take pics!

^ usually the easiest option

or pay a tyre shop to do it for you

Don't worry Rich. Just rip her to bits. E36's = European Corollas. Nobody will cry if you rip her to bits and make it better by turning it into a race car.

pics for those mildly interested..............

post-2002-1324843323.jpg

post-2002-1324843358.jpg

all i can tell from that is it doesnt have the motorsport side moldings or wheels

Looks like a nice straight body

I just recently had to remove the lock nuts after loosing the key. Smashed in a spare allen key socket for the 1st 3. Welded it on for the last.

Cold chisel works fine as well.

driftit has it on the dot. European corollas