Sign in to follow this  
sascha

Cheap e36 M3 evo

How many km are left in them at that mileage?

Regardless of condition, I wouldn't buy that if I ever wanted to shift it on for a reasonable price, unless I replaced everything.

Built for 500+km, being an evo the vanos may need work as will probably be noisy.

this would be a good buy for Rich as would give him some spares + save him making up a donor car.

if it were for sale 6 months ago i would have brought it and started with this .

too late now.................

Will be interesting what it ends up going for.

Edited by Nick G

this would be a good buy for Rich as would give him some spares + save him making up a donor car.

^^ This!! Way to p!ss Rich off Andy. Always the way, never one around when you want one, soon as you go for option B, one will turn up.

As soon as I saw this - I thought "ideal start for a race car". If only you could get E30 M3's for that money <_< !

FSH from Bavarian Motors. Motor Rebuilt 83,000km's ago, drives great!

Bushes replaced, etc. Needs new tyres and a bunch of work though!

Buy Now wasn't close to Reserve if anyone is wondering.

I want those wheels!

I'll swap you if you have some Contour II's :P Edited by JiB

Will be interesting what it ends up going for.

i here it went for just over 10k

PM replied, will start a project thread - because, oh boy is it a project cosmetically!

Never thought I'd ever own an E36, haha. I believe somewhere on this forum, I would've said something along those lines :lol:

It's no E30 :P :P

I test drove it with Jonathan - believe it or not, Vanos as quiet as a mouse. I was very surprised (mine had half the km and 3x the vanos noise - a noise that didn't change from when I bought it (except with each application of fresh oil). I think some are just noisier than others.

FSH from Bavarian Motors. Motor Rebuilt 83,000km's ago, drives great!

Bushes replaced, etc. Needs new tyres and a bunch of work though!

Buy Now wasn't close to Reserve if anyone is wondering.

I'll swap you if you have some Contour II's :P

Rebuilt motor? What happened?

Rebuilt motor? What happened?

Spun a big end shell, new crankshaft and modified shells to stop it happening again iirc.

.... a noise that didn't change from when I bought it (except with each application of fresh oil). I think some are just noisier than others.

Alot of people put the wrong grade oil in them and blame the vanos or seals. These engines NEED to run 10w60 grade Castrol TWS or edge sport (same thing in this country) else you will get the rattle sound.

Actually for me the rattle was quieter with slightly thinner oil. It also ran cooler. However, I would stick that stuff in if going to the track.

Handbook says 10W40 from memory.

Edited by CamB

TWS is made especially for the Motorsport engines, i've found that it does run a bit hotter, i have no Vanos noise at all though.

I know the S54 did the big end bearings, didn't realise the S50 did too?

S50bxx engines are worse unfortunately in high g circumstances because of the design of the pick and sump positions. Most happen when the car brakes really hard moving the oil from the rear to the front of the pan (out of the sump well) then the driver starts to corner heavily. EG at a race track. This exposes the pickups and creates gaps in the flow of oil and drops oil pressure rapidly which in turn will spin the bearing.

Jamez and I both dont have this problem because we run e34/m50 sumps. The oil well is in the front of the car not the rear. The 5 series pickup is also larger.

This was fixed mostly in the s54 design. Tom might be able to elaborate on the s54 big end failure more, I haven't read into it too much.

S50bxx engines are worse unfortunately in high g circumstances because of the design of the pick and sump positions. Most happen when the car brakes really hard moving the oil from the rear to the front of the pan (out of the sump well) then the driver starts to corner heavily. EG at a rack track. This exposes the pickups and creates gaps in the flow of oil and drops oil pressure rapidly which in turn will spin the bearing.

Jamez and I both dont have this problem because we run e34/m50 sumps. The oil well is in the front of the car not the rear. The 5 series pickup is also larger.

This was fixed mostly in the s54 design. Tom might be able to elaborate on the s54 big end failure more, I haven't read into it too much.

I know the S50s suffered oil starvation due to the pick up design, mine has only seen Taupo which it doesn't seem to have a problem with, don't think i'd try Hampton without modding the pick up system somehow.

What's the guts with doing the E34 M50 thing? Does the oil pick up bolt straight on? Have everything i need to do it if it's not a biggy, not really a priority if it's a major.

Are these oil issues an issue when running road tyres? Seems a bit silly if an M car can't handle high G's without damaging itself.

Edit: Might tilt mine with an oil pressure gauge and post up the results. Anyone have a gauge spare?

Edited by JiB

They run E34 sumps because they have E30's, drop is in the front for the crossmember.

They run E34 sumps because they have E30's, drop is in the front for the crossmember.

Was trying to picture an E30 subframe. I have read quite a bit about mods you can do to remedy the issue, two pick ups, baffled sump etc. Not really worth it.