Sign in to follow this  
JiB

JiB's Factory Sleeper

Hullo, been a while since I've had a BMW. Voila - project thread as requested by some. Picked this up on an impulse buy.

Well, not that much of an impulse - was thoroughly checked through on the hoist before purchase, Ernst at Bavarian Motors has looked after it since 2003!

Mechanically, it is properly awesome, nothing to do except maintain the thing - maybe new shocks in 10-20,000kms. Rebuilt motor pulls strong, and sounds pretty good. Starting to grow very attached to it!

It's a great height, sweet wheels, and from most angles it looks like it could be a 318i :lol: Not much to do...at all really.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

So my to-do list in some vague order of importance. The rest of this post is probably really boring, and more for my benefit I suppose.

1) Stainless Steel Clutch Line + CDV delete

I hear this does a whole of good for the clutch feel, probably get one made up at Alert Motorsport. Anyone know the fitting sizes? If not I guess I'll just take the old one in.

2) Sort passenger door

Window doesn't work and the doorcard looks like it's been through a war.

Posted Image

3) Sort sunroof

One side has come off its rails, thankfully, the drains are clear and it doesn't leak. Might align it a bit better while I'm at it.

4) Sort roof lining

It's like a tent, doesn't obscure the rear view...yet.

Posted Image

5) New Oil Cap

Current one weeps (perished seal)

Posted Image

6) New rear right quarter window seal, and windshield seal.

Ah, the joys if a mid 90's BMW, perished rubber, ahoy! Good thing is, they don't actually leak, car was outside in the last Auckland downpour. Bad thing is, because they don't leak, I'll probably procrastinate on them - I don't really see myself bringing this out if it's wet either. Another of my garage Queens

Posted Image

Posted Image

7) New mats, glovebox and gearknob

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

8) New mesh, brake duct, foglight and trim

A 100kph duck attacked the front mesh

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

9) New badges

Some are destroyed ad some aren't even there. It's funny, all the //M ones are still there, higher quality //M parts? :lol:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

10) New Exhaust hangers

Got droopy exhaust :(

Posted Image

11) Call the Dent Doctor

Posted Image

Forgot to add, I should also match the rear tyres with the fronts. But am wondering if the car would go better with a square fitment, rather than the staggered? I'm not sure why the car would benefit from the stagger at all, I'm sure the weight bias is forward...

It's interesting how the E36s deteriorate when a bit neglected. Is this that 283,508km example from TM?

Best of luck with it :)

Sure is. The previous owner was absolutely fastidious about anything mechanical. But couldn't give two tosses about interior or exterior :lol:

Yum!

Edit:

M3 without 18 button OBC? thought most would have come with it.

Edited by 5amchris

Sweet, I'm jealous. Looks like a rewarding project.

Looks rough. Would be easy enough to tidy up with elbow grease and a few late nights though, a good challenge and doable cheap enough.

On second thoughts, would make a great donor car for a E30 project.

Edited by apex

M3 without 18 button OBC? thought most would have come with it.

Nah, just a pixel faded 8 Button thing.

Sweet, I'm jealous. Looks like a rewarding project.

Would be nice to have a trouble-free //M car *touch wood* at the end of it that I can just hop in and drive without worrying about anything.

Looks rough. Would be easy enough to tidy up with elbow grease and a few late nights though, a good challenge and doable cheap enough.

On second thoughts, would make a great donor car for a E30 project.

Would be a waste unless the suspension, etc went in the E30 too - the only real qualm I have with the driving experience is the steering. It's rather vague, but at least it's a lot quicker than E30's!

.....And the seats, Vaders really don't agree with my body lol. This close to replacing them with something else!

If it were a donor, I'd definitely put it in an E36 touring....thank goodness there are no touring shells around the place :ph34r:

Edited by JiB

If it were a donor, I'd definitely put it in an E36 touring....thank goodness there are no touring shells around the place :ph34r:

I quite like the idea of that.

.....And the seats, Vaders really don't agree with my body lol. This close to replacing them with something else!

Swap for black sport seats? :P

Edit: Seriously

Edited by Nick G

Will by Vaders if you ever gona sell them:)

Guys guys, they're not for sale. If I ever replaced them they'd be put in storage if I ever have to sell it. I'm guessing selling an M3 coupe Vader-less would be harder than with Vaders.

I'm thinking Recaro SR4's for replacements, but apparently I have to go through a cert if I change the rails :blink:

they wont be for sale =D i Will make sure if this,

I don't even know what you're trying to say here?

I'm thinking Recaro SR4's for replacements, but apparently I have to go through a cert if I change the rails :blink:

You will also need to address the SRS issues as well. Occupancy sensor in the passengers seat and seat belt retractor stalks in both seats. For the seat belts.

You will also need to address the SRS issues as well. Occupancy sensor in the passengers seat and seat belt retractor stalks in both seats. For the seat belts.

Cheers for the heads-up Glenn. Looks like the best way would be to get them out of an '01+ Integra Type R then try make the Honda sensors talk to the BMW ones. From what I understand they're 3 pin switches? I think I need to have a closer look at the ones in the BMW.

Ideally I'd super seal the pins so that OEM/Modified could be swapped in/out easily with some bolts and plugs.

Now needs

A new front window [stone got to it]

New clutch line & bleed

get passengers door to start locking

A very big clean there are so many marks on this thing its not funny.

Also went to get the dent fixed today and the guy said the doors are aluminum and it would cost alot to fix =D

Need to also spray the speaker covers on the rear tray [Has 2 subs 2 tweeters 2 5" speakers] cant find any info to say this is normal.

///M ownership could be fun =D

Edited by 5amchris

Guys guys, they're not for sale. If I ever replaced them they'd be put in storage if I ever have to sell it. I'm guessing selling an M3 coupe Vader-less would be harder than with Vaders.

I don't even know what you're trying to say here?

let me know. I still got my sr4 red recs from my civic. looking to sell that one. pretty much sitting in one of the bedroom/storage in the house for the last 2 years or so. no rips, no ciggie hole. bolster a bit tired, rhs of driver side.

last time i took them out were clean as.