Sign in to follow this  
Andre3000

HMS E30

So I've slowly been building a replica of my old e30 that was stolen end of 2009. Having the previous experience has made it a sh*t load easier, and I also know what NOT to do, i won't name the bastards... Anyway you can't change the past but you can definitely modify the present!

My project now is a Jap import 1989 320i. Was a mint car and seemed a shame to dismantle but it was necessary. With the help of Brent, Martyn & Steve i've been able to piece together an m30 that fits operationally into the e30 bay.

post-2821-1326955401.jpg

A minor problem I've had though is oil seepage past the turbo seals. This is due to the return being too small and the bends too tight. I redrilled and tapped the sump to 1/2 BSP and threaded a brass fitting into the sucker, the external diameter of which is 19mm, which coincidentally fits -12AN hose perfectly :D

post-2821-1326955871.jpg

I am in the process of doing the same at the turbo end. I will run -12 rubber hose which has a nice ID of 19mm and heat shielding as its gonna run damn close to the headers.

why not run the return to the timing cover? well above oil level there.

The oil needs to drain freely from turbos, or they tend to have issues.

^ What he said, needs to drain as straight as possible to the sump with no tight bends. Will update with photos this arvo after I put it back together.

I'm sure Steve (crunchy) will chime in here soon, however, my understanding from everthing I've read and seen servicing turbo vehicles is, that all drains must run straight & shielded into a suitable resevoir or sump, without any restriction by size, angle or recipricating force to the drain apparture.

The brass fitting you have fitted into the sump is pointing straight at the crank and if it's not shielded inside the sump, the rotational force will try and pump oil up the drain. It's also at right angles to the turbo drain apparture, which can puddle oil under different driving conditions

It will work, but its not optimal. The drain will most likely be under oil under a lot of conditions, especially left hand turns. Thats why I suggested the timing cover, it is well above the oil level and you can still keep it nice and straight.

My drain is no way straight I had to compromise because of the turbo manifold, but I made the drain oversize to make sure oil would not back up and I have no issues with the turbo leaking oil.

Edited by polley

Hoping he will, Steve's opinion is a valued one. Interesting point about the crank, any ideas on shielding without removal of the sump?.

Heres how it ended up

post-2821-1327123543.jpg

It will be shielded next week as its closest point to manifold is just over an inch.

Sly dog front mount....

post-2821-1327123683.jpg

I'm still deciding whether or not to paint the piping black too, but i kinda like the polished look.

just try it andrew if it works great if not as per above timing cover or i also drill into the block

i also had problems with the oil being 'pumped' back up the as the revs increased.

but after relocating the return below the sump's factory baffle, the problems have eased.

i dont know where your mounting your blower,but i had the other issues with mine- having only

2 inches of fall between the turbo and the high oil level mark.

your not far off driving it out of the garage? GL

You've inspired me to get back into mine. What engine position are you using, 1, 2 or 3? Could we get an engine bay photo?

How's yours coming along? The rear of the head is almost touching the heat/sound deadening on the firewall. Radiator has to be recessed into bonnet support frame, no room for Air Con heat exchanger.

Will chuck up a photo this weekend. Let me give it a clean first..... On that topic does anyone know where i can a good under-body steam clean done?

i also had problems with the oil being 'pumped' back up the as the revs increased.

but after relocating the return below the sump's factory baffle, the problems have eased.

i dont know where your mounting your blower,but i had the other issues with mine- having only

2 inches of fall between the turbo and the high oil level mark.

your not far off driving it out of the garage? GL

So your return is definitely going to be below oil line all of the time? Do you have any drainage issues?

The fan's almost level with the top of the cam cover. I'm not going to be able to drive until a decent tune is done, unless someone wants to school me on fuel ratios and duty cycles? My laptop shat itself anyway...

New XR6 injectors & dyno tune are just under 2 weeks away, fingers X'd.

So here's my hydraulic handbrake setup for the e30. Took me no longer than 5 hours to install and cost me $229.00 in total.

This build is about keeping the original look, while altering the functionality so i attempted to install the handbrake in the same position as the oem. I had to shorten the lever an inch to fit the surround, and I also removed the surrounds ashtray so the MC would fit.

post-2821-1328262245.jpgpost-2821-1328262255.jpg

Also a shot of my new knob...

post-2821-1328262265.jpg

i gather you know their not legal for street use?

So your return is definitely going to be below oil line all of the time? Do you have any drainage issues?

The fan's almost level with the top of the cam cover. I'm not going to be able to drive until a decent tune is done, unless someone wants to school me on fuel ratios and duty cycles? My laptop shat itself anyway...

New XR6 injectors & dyno tune are just under 2 weeks away, fingers X'd.

yes ,that correct. return is below the oil level. not ideal,but its a low mounted turbo so,

somethings have to be over come with clever'er thinking

Just make a gearboot/cover sorround that'll go over the mastercylinder.

down side of that is the piping under neath and lack of cables is the give away when getting a wof

i gather you know their not legal for street use?

Yup waiting for my competition licence and log book, then getting an authority card.

Yeah that's the plan. Gna try make one with a zip in between the stitching so as to access the locking pin.

Would i actually get a warrant with all these mods though? Any decent wof outfit would see that most of the car is not standard. It hought you had to get a cert before a warrant was issued for modified cars, even if I didn't have a hydraulic e-brake.

How's yours coming along? The rear of the head is almost touching the heat/sound deadening on the firewall. Radiator has to be recessed into bonnet support frame, no room for Air Con heat exchanger.

Will chuck up a photo this weekend. Let me give it a clean first..... On that topic does anyone know where i can a good under-body steam clean done?

I just started on it, pulled the old gearbox out today and going to put the new one in tomorrow all going to plan. Then with a new radiator I'll be able to drive it and slowly do the other bits and pieces. It's by far the tidiest E30 I've had so it's ok to work on. I think my motors in a different position than yours, I can fit a 35mm radiator in the normal spot, fan has to go out the front though.

Where have you located your ECU? I can get mine through the firewall but the loom isn't long enough for it to go in the factory spot so it just hangs around awkwardly by the clutch pedal.

Hydraulic handbrake should be a laugh!

Yeah that's the plan. Gna try make one with a zip in between the stitching so as to access the locking pin.

Would i actually get a warrant with all these mods though? Any decent wof outfit would see that most of the car is not standard. It hought you had to get a cert before a warrant was issued for modified cars, even if I didn't have a hydraulic e-brake.

depends where you go for a wof

I think my motors in a different position than yours, I can fit a 35mm radiator in the normal spot, fan has to go out the front though.

Where have you located your ECU? I can get mine through the firewall but the loom isn't long enough for it to go in the factory spot so it just hangs around awkwardly by the clutch pedal.

Hydraulic handbrake should be a laugh!

Has the firewall be massaged to fit? I'm using the e30 harness & ecu (motronic 1.1) so its the right fitment for the car already.

Haha i hope so.... Look out for a post coming up in the next few weeks titled: "skids o'clock"

Steve: I can get a wof, the only thing worrying me would be an inspection from a nosey officer, if i had no cert or authority card.

do all the mods you want to then run it through for a cert and worry about the legal stuff then, if you get a competition license and run two events a year you may get away with the hyd hand brake

yes ,that correct. return is below the oil level. not ideal,but its a low mounted turbo so,

somethings have to be over come with clever'er thinking

Going to see how it performs, if i have any drainage issues i will try making up a shield to go on the sump side of my brass fitting.

Just got some 440cc injectors from ebay, same application as the XR6 turbo. Will be installing them after I sort the gearbox properly next week, as the clutch bearing is giving me some issues. Then its tune, wof/rego, & other small things like the seatbelt mounts.....

Posted Image