Sign in to follow this  
Neal

BMW X6M First drive

A friend and colleague of mine for many years comes around for dinner and turns up in a X6M. He's been around performance cars, raced Mini's , owned the quickest Jap turbo car that I've driven , had HSV's and recently traded a 550i. I'm looking forward to going for a ride.

He suggests we go for a ride and I leave the front door to find he's in the passenger seat.

I tentatively hop into the drivers seat and start the engine. First impression is that this is somewhere between a SUV and a Saloon car. The twin turbo starts and settles into a nice super smooth rythm, not what I'd expect from something that makes 550 hp.

I have a rather steep driveway which requires caution. Reversing up in my M3 normally gets a chirp from the tyres as one side will momentary spin. Yet with the x6m nothing. Just like reversing the wifes auto 328i. Am I in a diesel X6 ?

We drive through the local suburb which couldn't have been easier , it has the manners of a 1.6 Civic with just a slight hint of the 300 kw twin turbo V8 in auto mode. I could believe how easy it was to drive considering the torque available to right foot.

We get to the open road with from near where I live. A zealous 80 kmh speed limit imposed lately because of a few idoits couldn't drive and crashed on corners. The owner says try the "M" button on the steering wheel. He also adds that this adds "M" button another 110kw to the 300 already on tap. Thats another 160kw on top of my M3's 250kw odd. :blink:

I push the pedal down and the transmission pops down a couple of cogs. The twin turbos + V8 spools up and I'm left grinning ear to ear. The acceleration is more like a linear push back like a 747 on take off. It's A lot quicker than the e46 M3 yet a lot smoother. There aren't the no power pauses that you get with the M3 SMG, the acceleration is steady thoughout. The turbos are that good that have no perceivable lag. The gear changes are super smooth but it justs F's off thru the sequnece of corners and I'm not believing the flat cornering or traveling 30% faster than you think your doing.

I get to a local roundabout with an 100 kmh exit. I see a S14 drift rep in the rear vision mirror on the exit and floor the pedal. The S14 squats at the rear for a couple of gear changes but gives up the ghoast as it quickly gets smaller in the X6M mirrors. The X6m is very quick ! yet very stable and gets it's power down quickly and in a striaght line. The M3 would be fighting with traction at the rear if trying similar. In cornering you know that your in a heavy vehicle , yet compared to the M3 it's bloody good. The brakes are also subpurb which make sense as the dics fill the gaps in the 20 inch rims. The suspension in M mode is taught with only a slight hint of body roll. Fav bits is the heads up display of rev counter / road speed. Shows green/yellow/red zones and road speed. Your eyes don't need to leave the road.

Engine wise with a twinn turbo V8 it doesn't mater too much if your doing 3000 or 5000 rpm. Put your foot down and there is more safe overtaking than you'll ever need. In BMW fashion it's very linear but with the X6M it delivers the power in a far smoother manner than my e46 M3. There is just a lot more of it everywhere.

Getting home I remind myself that this is a $200k plus car.

After a 30km loop I'm left very impressed. I get to my driveway and park the car. I can't believe how refined and well mannered it is (before that M" button is depressed) These X6's are 4wd yet handle closer to a RWD. It had ever extra you could want with auto closing doors, heated seats , electronic everything and the best standard sound system I've heard in a vechile. If I'm sucessful in "big Wednesday" I'll be dropping the Lambo and Q7 and getting a XM6. You wouldn't need both !

What did you have for dinner?

Nut salad , Lamb and pasta , Martinborough pinot & cab Savs , Choc Moose.

Edited by Neal

Guest Ari Gold

Martinborough Vineyards? You have good taste in wine.

Edited by Ari Gold

What did you have for dinner?

Come for dinner , bring the Targa car so I can test drive it !

^_^

Nice write up, they really do defy the laws of physics as we think we know them. I would love a drive of the New M5 with that same engine.

One day.

I want to see a X6M in the open series :ph34r:

^_^

Nice write up, they really do defy the laws of physics as we think we know them. I would love a drive of the New M5 with that same engine.

One day.

I've driven both. The M5 is faster. The engine has been tweaked up more than the X6M version. The M5 belts out more torques. It only has 5 horsepowers more, but the torque is the key!!

Both bloody amazing to drive in any case...

Guest Ari Gold

I've driven both. The M5 is faster. The engine has been tweaked up more than the X6M version. The M5 belts out more torques. It only has 5 horsepowers more, but the torque is the key!!

Both bloody amazing to drive in any case...

Aerodyanamics certainly wouldn't play a part either <_<

And the M5 sounds better due to a certain upgrade the sly Germans did......

Fitted new pipes? Crazy German bastards..

Posted Image

Great write up. Sounds like the same story as the 4.6is X5 M Dad had but on a higher scale. Awesome cornering, smooth power that feels like the same sort of power delivery as a 747 haha.

I would go M5 then M3 then X5 M really. Just cause the X5 M is so much better looking.

I'm picking you mean the exhaust sound which is pumped into the cabin via the stereo system...

I'm picking you mean the exhaust sound which is pumped into the cabin via the stereo system...

Correct, even with the CIC turned off or muted you still get the throtty noise of a V8, not the actual one sitting in the engine bay, works really well too!

The only reason they sound the way they do is due to the firing order being changed to help with low end boost, the exhaust gases get pulsed into the twin scroll turbo providing low end power.

They didn't bother doing the CIC thing to the SAVs but the M5 has a certain standard to stand up too, even if the noise is fake.

Correct, even with the CIC turned off or muted you still get the throtty noise of a V8, not the actual one sitting in the engine bay, works really well too!

The only reason they sound the way they do is due to the firing order being changed to help with low end boost, the exhaust gases get pulsed into the twin scroll turbo providing low end power.

They didn't bother doing the CIC thing to the SAVs but the M5 has a certain standard to stand up too, even if the noise is fake.

Ahhhh, you went to the same BMW NZ M5 launch training as I did...

For real , did they put the sound of an V8 though the stereo ?

Most of the drive was with the stereo off. Still made a nice noise, but these X6's have very good sound proofing.

The owner was saying it has an exhaust flap that opens in M mode , but turbos are known for there quality as being rotoary mufflers. The tone was nice rather than being loud.

For real , did they put the sound of an V8 though the stereo ?

that is sooooo gay if they do that.

The X6M and the X5M didn't get the CIC thing, only the M5, you wouldn't even know if you didn't read it here.

The only way the noise will be altered is if you remove the CIC unit from the car, then you'll only get the actual engine noise, which is still a good noise, just not Audi RS V8ness.

The X6M and the X5M didn't get the CIC thing, only the M5, you wouldn't even know if you didn't read it here.

The only way the noise will be altered is if you remove the CIC unit from the car, then you'll only get the actual engine noise, which is still a good noise, just not Audi RS V8ness.

...followed by Audi RS understeer and crashing...

;)

Yeah I wouldn't know, never heard of it until I read it here.

Just seems pretty gay.....

Yeah I wouldn't know, never heard of it until I read it here.

Just seems pretty gay.....

Yes it does seem to be a bit of a let down but how the technology works is astounding! You wouldn't be able to fault it, revving, idling, redline etc, it all sounds very real!

They should record a M20 and pump that noise though, would be so much win! #E30FANBOI

I think with the Air intake opened up and the mufflers removed it will sound great, if that's what you are after.

I for one like the nice and quite modern Turbo engine, don't know if its because I am getting older but I would rather drive hard under the radar and not annoy anyone or raise suspicion. You can accelerate from 80-120 in sixth gear with no noise at the same speed a highly strung N/A engine does in 4th at 6000rpm looking like a douche bag annoying everyone.

"Dude, I modded my m5 today"

"oh yeah what ya do"

"Replaced the cars sound files with some F1 sounds, makes it feel like its got 100 more Kw"

. . . how the hell did this happen. Actually I think I read about it somewhere but honestly thought it was a joke.

guess not :|

No joke, experianced it, they do make a nice noise Graham but just not a throtty V8 noise, the noise on the inside is completely different to the noise on the outside.