Sign in to follow this  
Andre3000

Workshop Laptops - Best vs Cost

I've been looking around for a laptop with a Serial DB-9 connection, so i can connect reliably to my cars computer.

Don't want to spend the world on it though and really cbfd with Vista or W7 as Microsoft annoys the hell out of me. Does anyone have some good ideas for a tough workshop computer?

I'm really interested in the Toughtbook Cf-19 MK2

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-Toughboo...=item35b9e71fca

Opinions, experience & thoughts would be most welcome.

Cheers

Haha... I got one from the IT department junk pile. Had to put a new hard drive in it, so have cost me $85 :P 1.6Ghz full on business laptop. Ancient, but very good Compaq NC8000. I'm keeping it though!

I have a USB cable to connect to my OBCII E39, but there is an adapter to plug into the round port. I got it off Ebay from Cable-Shack about NZ$70??? comes with INPS, EDIABIS, NCS Expert, TIS, etc etc etc. Would work with a modern/cheap laptop then

pm me when you want one. I dont have a toughbook but i have everything else of all manner of specs

USB adapater and a small notebook. Like an Asus EeePC.

I don't trust the USB adapters, as they are fairly unreliable even with the correct driver, hence the need for a direct link via serial db-9.

I still want to use it for uni work, that's why I'm interested in the Toughbook as it is also a tablet.

yes your right about using a USB/serial convertor. couldnt agree more. My BMW diagnostic thing doesnt have all features, and even doing IC chip programming i used to do, which uses only three pins of the serial plug (+5V, 0V and the signal) and it couldnt even get that right!

I don't trust the USB adapters, as they are fairly unreliable even with the correct driver, hence the need for a direct link via serial db-9.

I still want to use it for uni work, that's why I'm interested in the Toughbook as it is also a tablet.

Maybe the cheap usb-serial adaptors are sh*t, but you can get much better ones. We use some at work for programming some old obscure equipment that use RS232 that don't play nice with the cheap adaptors.

I use a ASUS K53U (full size laptop) for tuneing which uses a low power CPU and I get 6+ hours battery life out of it and have had no issues using one of these usb-serial adaptors with either my haltech or DTA ecu's. I cannot remember hte brand of the adaptor right now, but when I remember I will post it here.

Anyway, what im saying is, you can get reliable usb to rs232 converters.

Edited by polley

Some Toshiba Tecra's have Serial.

I had a Tecra M5, XP Pro Key.

Magnesium Body, built solid... can be found very cheap (get the high res display though) and all it really needs is a new battery (100 or so)

and all it really needs is a new battery (100 or so)

thats going to apply to any second hand laptop!

Not a fan of serial to usb adaptors. Have seen a number of uarts blown up through static build E.G. laptop bag. Nothing like smoking a $140k comms card management port ! Less of a problem for built in serial ports. The outer serial metal casing is eartedh to the mother board so less chance of the plastics passing on the static build up when connecting up.

If your using one of these adaptors I'd recommend using a hand wrist strap earthed to the device first before connecting. Not worth blowing expensive engine management computers serial connection.

We've tended to use Dell Laptops as the last lot we replaced had built in serial ports. We also have HQ usb to serial adaptors ,but are very cautious where they are used and how they are used.