Sign in to follow this  
francoisv

E34 with M52 Conversion Question?

So i purchased what "Appears" to be an Alpina E34, still waiting on convermation from Jerry Clayton, anyways, the previous owner has kindly fk'd the engine up.

So since i have a spare M52B28 at home that was going to be used for another project, I have decided to build it up and install it in the E34.

I have tested the fitment and it fits pretty good and bolts up perfectly to the Getrag 5 Speed E34 Gearbox. The only thing i have a concern about are the Engine Mounts.

My Question is... Has anyone done this conversion before or know what mounts would be needed?

E34 M20B25(7) to E39 M52B28...

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....showtopic=39382

No disrespect intended.... but you don't know what yourve got yourself into with that. There is a hell of alot more to it than mounts. You will need to do a hell of alot of research. Some of it will be wrong and you'll end up spending sh*t loads.

No disrespect intended.... but you don't know what yourve got yourself into with that. There is a hell of alot more to it than mounts. You will need to do a hell of alot of research. Some of it will be wrong and you'll end up spending sh*t loads.

Thanks Glenn, I have been doing some extensive research. Its going to be a "project" so will have to tackle each hurdle as it comes really. I have found a Member on the Australian BMW Forum that has done this and have been in contact with him.

But thanks for the heads up

you need some e34 m50 engine mounts .

and you will need a m50b25 vanos type wiring loom , afm , ecu and all the sensors ,alternator , basically everything from a e34 525i with m50 vanos 2.5L engine etc approx 1992 to 1994 (non ews type) with bosch ecu.

i told you all this the other day.

my mate did a m52b28 from a e36 328i the other day to his 94 525ix touring , we just used all the orginal e34 electrics , mounts , sump etc etc....

but beacuse you are starting with a m20 powered e34 you will have to buy pretty much everything

oh and the m20 type gearbox will sit on the wrong angle when bolted to the m50/m52 type engine .

so your gearbox mount and gearlever will need to be modified etc

hope this helps

IF it's a genuine alpina...would it not be better to keep it original?

you need some e34 m50 engine mounts .

and you will need a m50b25 vanos type wiring loom , afm , ecu and all the sensors ,alternator , basically everything from a e34 525i with m50 vanos 2.5L engine etc approx 1992 to 1994 (non ews type) with bosch ecu.

i told you all this the other day.

my mate did a m52b28 from a e36 328i the other day to his 94 525ix touring , we just used all the orginal e34 electrics , mounts , sump etc etc....

but beacuse you are starting with a m20 powered e34 you will have to buy pretty much everything

oh and the m20 type gearbox will sit on the wrong angle when bolted to the m50/m52 type engine .

so your gearbox mount and gearlever will need to be modified etc

hope this helps

Hey Brent,

did you not get my VM on Moday afternoonI left one asking when I could come and view your E34 if you still have it.

Now i know what i need for the conversion because like you said, you told me before and i do have a few parts, PLUS i have had the guy from Australia who has dont the M20 to M52 conversion emailing me a list of instructions and parts that he used, and the ECU has been sent in to have EWS disabled.

So as soon as i get the list, I can come purchase the stuff from you and if i need something else, i will come see you agian. I dont want to have to purchase more parts then needed, but in saying that you obviously know more about this then i do, so i can come down on Saturday morning and look at the car and give you the list of parts needed...

Seems like a lot of work to go through for little gain.

Depends what your goals are with the car I suppose....

I just think the M50s and M52s are just too small for 1.5 tonne+ cars like E34s.

Never the less, good luck with your plans!

IF it's a genuine alpina...would it not be better to keep it original?

Original Engine is kinda broken :-(

Seems like a lot of work to go through for little gain.

Depends what your goals are with the car I suppose....

I just think the M50s and M52s are just too small for 1.5 tonne+ cars like E34s.

Never the less, good luck with your plans!

agreed. an M60 would be minimal extra work. you would still have to rewire. youd still have to buy new mounts etc. the only cost saving would be the eninge itself, but an extra $500 or so for an extra 80odd HP sounds worth it in my book

agreed. an M60 would be minimal extra work. you would still have to rewire. youd still have to buy new mounts etc. the only cost saving would be the eninge itself, but an extra $500 or so for an extra 80odd HP sounds worth it in my book

M60 would be much more work and cost... You would need a gearbox for a start.

M60 would be much more work and cost... You would need a gearbox for a start.

yeah your probably right, might be a bit more than $500. though, ideally with the M52 you do too. if you dont source the correct gearbox, then youd still have to shave and balance the M20 flywheel or import a new one to make it all work

Hey Brent,

did you not get my VM on Moday afternoonI left one asking when I could come and view your E34 if you still have it.

Now i know what i need for the conversion because like you said, you told me before and i do have a few parts, PLUS i have had the guy from Australia who has dont the M20 to M52 conversion emailing me a list of instructions and parts that he used, and the ECU has been sent in to have EWS disabled.

So as soon as i get the list, I can come purchase the stuff from you and if i need something else, i will come see you agian. I dont want to have to purchase more parts then needed, but in saying that you obviously know more about this then i do, so i can come down on Saturday morning and look at the car and give you the list of parts needed...

sure call or text again

i think i got some message but no phone number etc?? cant remember get so many calls

yeah your probably right, might be a bit more than $500. though, ideally with the M52 you do too. if you dont source the correct gearbox, then youd still have to shave and balance the M20 flywheel or import a new one to make it all work

M52 manual box is still going to be cheaper than a m60 manual box...

$1k~ For a m60 auto box, and you will need the trans ECU and wiring loom to go with it (extra cost again), and then have to wire it in...

M60 manual conversion kit $4k~

M52 manual box.. $600~?

M52 manual box is still going to be cheaper than a m60 manual box...

$1k~ For a m60 auto box, and you will need the trans ECU and wiring loom to go with it (extra cost again), and then have to wire it in...

M60 manual conversion kit $4k~

M52 manual box.. $600~?

can do kit for $3800, - thats like a $200 saving already:)

Bargain. Defiantly brings the m60 swap into budget haha

ok ok settle down lol :rolleyes: