Sign in to follow this  
C.Ross

Ideas Please

Hey peeps

Just putting this up to try and get some ideas off people, as I want to make some mods to the car yet not sure what, or what effect it would have on the performance/ engine sensor side of things.

Ideas I have had and pretty much shot them down myself was

* supercharging with a DASC (little mods required as no ecu tampering needed, But hard to come by - limited in stock and pricey)

* cam grinding, would this require ecu replacement??

* shaving flywheel?

i have heard some people talk about removing the catalytic converter... is this legal in NZ, and with this have O2 sensors would it mess with the computer?

Without a cat converter does it sound bad? I've heard some sweet sounding 318 BMW's around in auckland, would that be they have had this done?

Please if you have tinkled under the bonnet of your ride, please let me know what u did, how well it worked, what and costs were involved. If the mods arent legal in NZ please dont bother commenting lol, I want a legit ride not a Bogan mobile. :rolleyes:

How much power do you want? how much do you want to spend? and how much can you do yourself

You can't lighten a dual mass flywheel. Converting to a lighter flywheel isn't going to give you any noticeable power

Getting a cam regrind should require a tune. I'm sure there are plenty of companies that can tune your standard ecu.

If you have oxygen sensors before and after the cat you will have problems. Removing the cat might give you some more power.

limited slip differntial, cams, exhaust and a tune (and maybe a new clutch and flywheel) would be all i'd do. This will save you the cost of needing to get a cert and will give you a bit more go in the top end

performance Airfilter, cold air pipe to it.

check exhaust with expert to see what can be improved on.

performance brake pads

good service

Stop there unless you really have the $$ just burning a hole in your pocket. As making a 318 go fast will be expensive. You would be better off with an engine transplant than supercharging what you have.

The M44/42 only has a pre O2 sensor so you can safely remove the cat and fit in a coby, straight pipe will sound ugly. Fitting a single mass flywheel with sprung clutch should improve acceleration as the dual mass flywheels are uber heavy.

Wouldn't bother with supercharging. Bigger engine would be best option but lots of dicking around.

Some people go to alot of effort to drag more power from their m42/44........ :ph34r:

Honestly it depends on what you want. Enough power to stop the world turning or only to put your personal touch on your car or to create somthing different. Depends what floats your boat. Each has their challenges in complexity/cost or both.

This is the bit where I say you should have bought a six cylinder version. At least then you would be into the 200hp+ bracket with ease.

Sell it, get an M3. 90% of the people on here will agree

He's got a Fiji Green 318is though, supercharged Fiji green E36 would be pretty cool otherwise CAI + exhaust and a retune would be a good second option along with some better shocks and springs is the way I'd go

He's got a Fiji Green 318is though, s62b50 Fiji green E36 would be pretty cool

*fixed

agree 100%, m3 or cheaper an 328.

easy bolt on-no messing around hp.

i should have done this (328) before entertaing the e28 turbo project.

A descent PROPER cold air induction kit will cost anywhere from $500, no point otherwise, a pod is a hot air intake so you're just losing precious HP that a 318 doesn't really have.

If he is worried about the colour, paint the M3 Fijian green

318-M3, little price difference.

Forget the engine mods , put in a big sound system and play a F12V8 cd. Same mod as latest M5

something I should've done from the very beginning lol

the amount I've spent on my car I could've easily afforded an M3 and had spare $$ left over for mods or an inspection II service lol

something I should've done from the very beginning lol

the amount I've spent on my car I could've easily afforded an M3 and had spare $$ left over for mods or an inspection II service lol

But if you'd bought the M3, you'd still have ended up spending the same money on it... It just happens ;)

haha that is a good point, there's always something to do to a car isn't there :)