Sign in to follow this  
charles28

E30 325i Work Log

Very interested to see how the MAF goes! Please keep us updated

Would also be interested to see the results!

By the time you invest in a chip, induction, MAF, exhaust etc, how far is it off the cost of a M50B25?

Would also be interested to see the results!

By the time you invest in a chip, induction, MAF, exhaust etc, how far is it off the cost of a M50B25?

I'm not sure, but if I was going to go to the trouble of an engine swap I'd go for a M52B28 or M54B30 as I think these are a lighter engine, although somehow i'd end up wishing I'd gone for an M62 V8 regardless.

I'm not convinced an M50 conversion is worth all the effort, although I have no plans to do a conversion at all.

My car already has a pretty much straight through exhaust, it has twin pipes all the way with no muffers or cat and then its strangled at the end with a Magoo Mufflers single pipe muffer, (for now).

Ultimately I'm more interested in the improved throttle response and drive ability.

I'm retaining my stock airbox (Bigger South African version anyway) and have ordered the Miller Adapter so that I can attach the MAF to it.

The installation process is rather easy https://www.millerperformancecars.com/files...20GEN%20III.pdf

yea good choice for bang for buck , i got another 16-18rwkw and about 40Nm more with the millar maf on my M5 m88 engine . sounds nice too.

yea good choice for bang for buck , i got another 16-18rwkw and about 40Nm more with the millar maf on my M5 m88 engine . sounds nice too.

Nice Dyno Video Brent, induction sound is awesome, those E28's are cool looking old cars for sure.

I don't expect big gains from mine at this stage, but its there for when I do some upgrades and it will be interesting to see what a 234,000k M20B25 makes at the wheels.

I'm guessing 95kw ATW at this stage.

Typically, now that the cars been converted to manual I have more interest in improving performance.

Booked Dyno for Baseline run on Saturday, however on my drive home from work today I noticed a nasty drive line vibration, hopefully its just the Centre support bearing.. always something hehe

I'd be really interested in how you go with your WAR chip.

I have one on my e30 as well, along with the MAF conversion. I found it to be generally pretty good. Power gains on WOT were a bit dissapointing as it was a standard car other than a K&N panel filter, but i think it went from maybe 105kw at the wheels to about 107kw. The best gains on WOT were in the mid range and they were about +5kw. Generally I found the M20 to be pretty dull to changes though. I could move the timing and fuel alot both ways and it would only change the power slightly. I'm no professional tuner however. I just had access to a dyno and did it myself.

The base tunes Miller give you are pretty good and really only need fine tuning. Oh yea and remember you MUST use Win XP with it. I had all sorts of troubles trying to use anything else, even virtual XP. Also check your TPS with a multimeter both when its running and just with the key on. I spent along time wondering why i was making changes to the WOT map and nothing was happening. Apparently its a very common issue that becomes more noticable with the new MAF.

Hope those things are of some help anyway, I got a little frustrated with mine initially.

Part of the reason I'm doing the conversion is that I suspect the AFM is a bit passed its use by date, but I'll know tomorrow morning once I do a stock Dyno run.

I suspect the W.A.R chip tuning is more worth while once you add bigger injectors, better cam etc.

I have not ordered the war chip part of it as yet, just the MAF with chip for a stock M20B25.

Cheers

1st Dyno run completed, 102kw at the wheels, pretty good for a 23 year old stock standard E30 325i.

It got a bit rich in the top end, 11.9 AFR, but low and mid range was pretty much Spot on apparently.

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

No Real progress to speak of, Miller haven't sent me my MAF conversion yet, that is they haven't replied to me emailing them asking if its on its way..

Ordered some boring parts from autohausaz, the engine and gearbox mounts, to attempt to fix a non driveline related vibration.

1 03195 Distributor Cap

1 04156 Distributor Rotor; Triangular Bolt-On Type, 3 Bolt

1 10X825 V Belt/Drive Belt; Power Steering

1 10X965 V Belt/Drive Belt; Alternator

1 11311280960 Timing Belt Guide; Tensioner Pin (between tensioner and water pump)

1 11311468743U Timing Belt Tensioner

1 11311469240 Timing Belt

1 11511719836 Water Pump; With Gasket

2 11811132323MY Engine/Motor Mount; Left/Right

2 23701141614 Transmission Mount

1 51231906286 Shock/Strut, Hood

took a while for my one to come too , but they had run out of stock , but didn't return emails either ,

no replys untill i phone'd them

No Real progress to speak of, Miller haven't sent me my MAF conversion yet, that is they haven't replied to me emailing them asking if its on its way..

Ordered some boring parts from autohausaz, the engine and gearbox mounts, to attempt to fix a non driveline related vibration.

1 03195 Distributor Cap

1 04156 Distributor Rotor; Triangular Bolt-On Type, 3 Bolt

1 10X825 V Belt/Drive Belt; Power Steering

1 10X965 V Belt/Drive Belt; Alternator

1 11311280960 Timing Belt Guide; Tensioner Pin (between tensioner and water pump)

1 11311468743U Timing Belt Tensioner

1 11311469240 Timing Belt

1 11511719836 Water Pump; With Gasket

2 11811132323MY Engine/Motor Mount; Left/Right

2 23701141614 Transmission Mount

1 51231906286 Shock/Strut, Hood

Have you placed the order yet..Im ordering as well could share the freight costs

Have you placed the order yet..Im ordering as well could share the freight costs

Doh, sorry bud, already ordered on Friday, the shipping is always the killer eh, next time I'll ask you if you want anything.

took a while for my one to come too , but they had run out of stock , but didn't return emails either ,

no replys untill i phone'd them

Looks like its time to call them.

I was eager to get that installed too..

Box of Parts arrived on Friday that I'd ordered about a week before.

Posted Image

The main thing of interest for me, the new Engine and Gearbox Mounts.

Also pictured is a new bonnet strut, it was only about $5, so I thought, why not, mines stuffed.

Posted Image

Not sure if you can see on this Pic, but in real life the engine mount looks squashed.

Posted Image

New Dizzy Cap and Rotor

Posted Image

As you can see, the engine needs a bit of a clean, oneday hehe.

Posted Image

Hopefully after the engine mounts are installed in the next couple of days I rid the car of an annoying vibration issue which happens when driving or when sitting idle at the traffic lights with the car in Neutral, ie not drive train related.

I suspect it will help as if you get someone to rock the engine while its running the vibration you feel in the car changes.

I also have a new waterpump, cambelt, tensioner, however I forgot to order some new oil seals that I will change while doing this job, but I think i'll just get those locally.

Today I ordered B12 Pro-Kit Suspension (Joint effort between Eibach and Bilstein)

I went with this as I wanted the car to retain a level of Comfort while at the same time improve the handling.

They claim its tested at Nurburgring and fine tuned etc.

http://www.performance2.info/b12-pro-kit-en

I heard back from Miller about my MAF conversion, it turns up the hold up is due to the adapter plate not being in stock (that attaches the MAF to the factory airbox) so I told them to delete it and refund me for that and just send the MAF and Chip.

Replaced Distributor and Rotor a couple of days back.

The old parts had seen better days for sure.

The metal contacts, well they didn't look that good at all.

Posted Image

I have spent the weekend messing around with the valve adjustment, yesterday I only succeeded in making it worse, however I re-did it today and took my time and made sure all were adjusted correctly.

As you can see the inside of my engine is .. dirty.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Not sure what to do about that, however it is running well now.

It sounds a lot better then a week ago, ie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0650jtAQzTU

Miller Maf conversion complete, well sort of.

Its working, but cruising around I can detect a slight miss and its hesitant down low.

Currently I only have a pod filter on the MAF, so I need to sort something out about cold air.

But I did a WOT run to demonstrate the Intake sound, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUMviHzE2lU...eature=youtu.be

Do you feel a difference after the MAF conversion?

Do you feel a difference after the MAF conversion?

Its made the drive ability worse, which means I have a problem somewhere, I need to check the voltage going to the MAF etc and see that all is well.

According to Miller if the TPS has an issue it can cause running problems once using the MAF, so thats another thing to test out.

I can't discount Vacuum leaks too.

The car almost wants to bunny hop if you idle along too slow in 1st or Second gear.

Edited by Charles32

my one wouldn't run right untill i had it remapped , the std millar maf tune was way off .

my one wouldn't run right untill i had it remapped , the std millar maf tune was way off .

Yeah, they claim to have perfect maps, but they will be for the US version of my car with only 8:8-1 Compression etc.

SA built one like mine is 9.4-1, factors like that could throw it off for sure, also my car doesn't have a Cat or O2 sensor and I suspect the USA cars all do.

I will replace my intake boot and vac hoses anyway, as the intake boot has signs of cracking around the pieces that connect to ICV etc and get it back on the Dyno

Yeah, they claim to have perfect maps, but they will be for the US version of my car with only 8:8-1 Compression etc.

SA built one like mine is 9.4-1, factors like that could throw it off for sure, also my car doesn't have a Cat or O2 sensor and I suspect the USA cars all do.

I will replace my intake boot and vac hoses anyway, as the intake boot has signs of cracking around the pieces that connect to ICV etc and get it back on the Dyno

also if you unplug the vac hose going to the fuel pressure reg and block it up.

that will increase fueling a bit , might make it a bit more driveable (and safe) until you get the ecu remaped etc

also if you unplug the vac hose going to the fuel pressure reg and block it up.

that will increase fueling a bit , might make it a bit more driveable (and safe) until you get the ecu remaped etc

I'll give that a go, that vac hose is a bit dodgy, its got a T-Join in it with a screw adjuster.

Perhaps I should replace that hose with a normal one 1st.

My ECU has a separate black box attached to it also, with about 5 wires going to it and the ECU itself has a sticker about Homologation from dated 1999.

The car came with cruise control, so perhaps that black box is to do with that, the wires from it don't go to the ECU.