Sign in to follow this  
charles28

E30 325i Work Log

This is a worklog of my E39 528i

Time to try out 3M's Headlight Restoration kit, as you can see in the next 2 pics, headlights are rather misty looking.

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Posted Image

Tooks Required: (+ Masking Tape)

Posted Image

Posted Image

After an Hour on the left headlight (in real life it looks better then before, on here its hard to tell?

Posted Image

After 2.5 Hours, all Finished

Posted Image

Was it worth it? Well.. the result wasn't as good as I'd hoped for, but the headlights should be good enough now to pass the WOF, which was really the key thing I guess.

Edited by Charles32

Certaily better but still not overly good. Should suffice for WOF ok. Shite I see some shocker lights on cars at work that shouldn't have a WOF but do.

Maybe keep an eye out for good S/H ones that someone has upgraded

Or try these guys:

Headlight recoating

If I removed them and dropped them is was $145, or $180 (I think) on the car. They replace the UV coating which protect the polycarbonate.

I brought new ones though. $645 for genuine Hella angeleyes B)

Gave the car a good wash and polish with the Mothers 3 Step Process. Looks better in real life though. my camera is a bit average.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Use Brasso on the lights, works a charm.

Also take them out as you can clean them better, and also get the 15 years of crud off from around the back and underneath them :)

Last week, replaced valve cover gasket, air filter, got new WOF.

Tomorrow.. cars going in the NZhondas Trackday, I'm not expecting much, only going as I had already paid a few months ago and have now sold my Turbo CRX.

I will chuck it into sports mode and just floor it I guess, will be the slowest car I've ever taken to a track day, but should still have some cornering fun.

Edited by Charles32

get some luxobarge drifties going and dont take it too seriously haha always thought taking my 540i to the track would be like racing in a armchair

get some luxobarge drifties going and dont take it too seriously haha always thought taking my 540i to the track would be like racing in a armchair

Hehe, well it was an interesting time.

I've being going to the track for years now, but today's the 1st time I got close to rolling a car, yes I almost rolled the E39.

Got one side about 1metre off the ground and when it landed it popped the tyres off the rim pretty much.

Spent the after noon at a Tyre shop fixing the wheel alignment etc, its all sweet as again now.

Its not a car I'd recommend to take to the track hehe, at least not if its in stock standard form .

I found the fact that its automatic the biggest hassle, it didn't respond when I needed it to.

Edited by Charles32

atleast ya gave it heaps! hahaha

I found the fact that its automatic the biggest hassle, it didn't respond when I needed it to.

Did you have the DSC turned off and is your's straight auto, tip or step tronic? I found out if you turn off all the fancy electronic's and put it in manual mode you get a lot better feel of what the car is doing. just a thought if you wish to try it again on the track.

Looks like I haven't kicked my E30 Obsession.

Purchased from a forum member, this will be a project car of sorts, its an SA 325i auto with Leather Sport seats etc.

Posted Image

I started to organise my car audio gear tonight (To go in the E30)

One thing I like in a car is good sound.

I am installing DLS Components + Tweeters (not in pic) Infinity Amp 4 Channel Amp (278w RMS to sub and 111w RMS to each front speaker and tweeter), Atomic Manhattan SQ Sub.

This is a basic SQ setup for front sound stage, I have some 9mm MDF spacers so that the speakers will fit in the kick panels.

Posted Image

As you can see, plenty of boot space for my Tiny sub.

Out with the old.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Not bad for a 23 year old Interior, will come up nice with a bit of a Clean.

Posted Image

Mate, in regards to your E39 headlights, the 3M kit is kinda ok for a joe public thing. The way to get the best out of it is this.

Get some 800 or 1000 grit wet/dry sandpaper & sand the crap out the lense, (do it wet tho')

Then use the 3M kit, even better if you have some decent cutting compound.

This is how our Toyota Vitz looked.

post-3653-1333142258.jpg

A quick sand with 800

post-3653-1333142275.jpg

Quick go over with buff & compound

post-3653-1333142290.jpg

With it outside, it came up so well you can see the reflection of my shed in the headlight.

15 minutes per side, job done.

post-3653-1333142304.jpg

Or try these guys:

Headlight recoating

If I removed them and dropped them is was $145, or $180 (I think) on the car. They replace the UV coating which protect the polycarbonate.

I brought new ones though. $645 for genuine Hella angeleyes B)

Maybe i should start a business doing headlghts.

Interesting they only give 3 years on re-coating the UV protection. At the end of the day it's only a very slightly modified automotive 2 pack clear and most paint manufacturers give lifetime warrenties now.

The E39 has been told today, was on Trademe less then 24hrs before someone clicked "buy now" and the car has been paid for and collected, meaning my only form of transport is the mighty E30.

I got some leather cleaner/conditioner today and gave the seats a good going over.

I have installed the Amp and Sub + wiring and head unit, currently only running off factory fronts until I make some MDF Spacers etc.

I need to replace the thermostat (stuck open), coolant and oil + filter and aim to do this during the week after work.

I also need to source a radio Antenna, as the one the came with has been removed and been replaced with a rubber grommet, the wirings still there though. surprisingly I can still get radio reception of sorts without it..

Quick Update:

Replaced: Oil + filter, air filter, sparkplugs, thermostat, coolant, topped up trans fluid.

Cars running like a champ, installed the spare wheel for now as one of the back tyres was stuffed.

By accident I ran battery flat (Headlight switch playing up, suspect Park lights for on for many hours) battery voltage down to 11.5v, couldn't start, and for some reason only one tail light working. got brother in law to come over and give the car a jump, suddenly brakes and tails working fine again, took out the panel under steering wheel so I can hang onto headlight switch to ensure they turn off.

I hope to finish my Audio Install over the weekend.

Edited by Charles32

Guest Ari Gold

You'll need to space the bonnet release catch out if you're going to run MDF spacers, I mounted some shallow magnet 5.25's in the front and had to space about 1cm using some washers. Easy to do, but a problem you'll run into.

Alternatively, change the end of the cable and use an Audi bonnet release lever, they're miniscule compared to the BMW ones.

The central locking is no longer working at all, so the 1st thing I am going to try is :

http://www.e30zone.net/e30zonewiki/index.p...ck_Wire_Problem

I can hear the relay click (took it out from where it lives in the speaker hole, cleaned wiring and connectors).

Only the drivers side electric windows work, so I will try swapping some window switches around to see if the fault is with those.

Stereo install is paused until these other issues are sorted. :)

Not much news, got some new tyres, finished my audio install, haven't fixed central locking at this stage.

I'm going to stick with the 14" weaves for now as the Earthquake damaged roads are crap and those 65 series tyres help absorb some of the bumpiness.

Just ordered some matching E30 Grey Mats from the UK designed for the E30 (So they fit properly)

Ordered a Xenon/Hid Upgrade, (just all new 55w bulbs for low beam, high beam, fog lights).

Ordered some bulbs for the speedo cluster (Only one side lights up, its a bit risky not being able to see the Tacho/TEMP gauge side on an E30 at night.

Finally got around to taking out Gauge Cluster to replace bulbs, 10min job, was worried that it was going to be tricky, as I read online that it might that 1 to 1.5hours.

Next up, manual conversion.

Wanted ad placed for manual conversion bits.