Sign in to follow this  
charles28

E30 325i Work Log

I'll give that a go, that vac hose is a bit dodgy, its got a T-Join in it with a screw adjuster.

Perhaps I should replace that hose with a normal one 1st.

My ECU has a separate black box attached to it also, with about 5 wires going to it and the ECU itself has a sticker about Homologation from dated 1999.

The car came with cruise control, so perhaps that black box is to do with that, the wires from it don't go to the ECU.

photo of the box and trace where the wires conect to

also if you unplug the vac hose going to the fuel pressure reg and block it up.

that will increase fueling a bit , might make it a bit more driveable (and safe) until you get the ecu remaped etc

Interesting, I did that and it made the car more drivable, not perfect of course, but better.

So it sounds like the cars running lean.

Edited by Charles32

could be an alarm box , or a box something to do with a over heat light for the cats??

Engine Bay with MAF installed, as you can see, useless Pod filter sucking in Hot Air.

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

However this is going back in next week. (I ordered some 2.7inch Hose and Pipe so that I can reinstate the factory air box), I wasn't keen on spending silly money on a cold air intake such as:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E30-E36-E32-E3...772&vxp=mtr (ends up being $200 with shipping and conversion to NZD).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Yeap, its ugly that air box, but its bigger then the ones they usually have from what I can tell.

Airbox re-installed, with the help of some 2.75inch pipe, I could do with another hose clamp on it, but its actually ok.

Millerperformancecars got back to me and suggested the bad running was due to a faulty TPS or O2 Sensor.

Well.. my car has no O2 Sensor, so that could complicate things a bit.

Posted Image

Edited by Charles32

Hmm, but I thought the TPS is only used for WOT and idle? How likely is it that it causes your driving issues?

Yeah, well the Idles fine and the cars OK at WOT, its part throttle that's the issue, which will be in the tuning.

I will probably end up having to buy a WAR chip and get it re-mapped at a local dyno outfit.

Its hardly worth spending this money on a stock M20, but if I change the cam and add headers etc it might be worth it.

Today I replaced the intake boot, vacuum hoses, TPS sensor with new items.

This didn't change much and I checked the new TPS with a multi meter (once installed) to confirm I had installed it correctly.

Miller sent me this email the other day:

Hello Charles,

Since your car is a higher compression than the US spec cars, you will benefit from the adjust-ability of the WAR Chip.

If we were to write a new chip we would be guessing as we do not have pre-made tunes for the higher compression cars with no O2 sensors.

But that was to be expected, I ordered the War chip yesterday, I should have it in a week, hopefully a couple of hours on the dyno will have it sorted, dyno time is expensive.

If only we were in Australia where every man and his dog can afford copious amounts of dyno time.

Very interested to see how this turns out. Are most tuners able to program the War chip?

If only we were in Australia where every man and his dog can afford copious amounts of dyno time.

Very interested to see how this turns out. Are most tuners able to program the War chip?

yeah, its pretty basic, if I splashed out on an Innovative LC1 Wide Band O2 I could do it myself, but I want to get it right lol

what do you think the total cost will be once done and dyno time?

what do you think the total cost will be once done and dyno time?

More then i'd have liked, in hind sight i'd probably not have bothered, but this stuff will be useful once I can find some good headers and cam etc.

I've even had the thought of converting it to turbo, I had fun with my old Turbo CRX, was a simple car to convert to turbo as is the E30.

i have one off my customers in cromwell about to tune a bmw with the same setup be interesting to see what he thinks

i have one off my customers in cromwell about to tune a bmw with the same setup be interesting to see what he thinks

Cool, let me know how he gets on.

Cool, let me know how he gets on.

my customer tried using the war chip and gave up it was on a m20b25 race car it just wonted do the job to hit and miss for what was gained their now putting in a mapecu ill know tonight how it came out

New Suspension installed, one of the old front shocks was rusted into the strut housing and it also had water in it, this was quite a mission to sort out, however the end result is worth it.

4x4 Ride Height removed.

Posted Image

I'll post a pic of the rusted strut insert after, was really quite nasty, the shock on the other side looks good, but when you pushed the rod in it didn't even come back out at all, oddly the rusted one still seemed to work ok.

my customer tried using the war chip and gave up it was on a m20b25 race car it just wonted do the job to hit and miss for what was gained their now putting in a mapecu ill know tonight how it came out

Mmm I could end up putting the AFM back on for now.

My war chip hasn't arrived, however a forum member has given me a copy of his Map he used on his Stock 325i and had on the dyno. so if that works out i'll stick with it, but no 2 e30 325's are the same I guess.

Mmm I could end up putting the AFM back on for now.

My war chip hasn't arrived, however a forum member has given me a copy of his Map he used on his Stock 325i and had on the dyno. so if that works out i'll stick with it, but no 2 e30 325's are the same I guess.

spoke to the tuner today it came up nice with the mapecu plus no afm it also had a big cam in it made just over 200hp motor

Do you like the feel of them??

I loved them, and could tell the difference easily! Mega improvement.

Haven't driven it much due to tuning issues, however I do love the handling.

I like the fact its tested at Nurburgring etc, not sure if they always say that like mine? was meant to be a tuned package.

Posted Image

hey mate, looks like a great project uve got yourself into. am looking to go down pretty much the exact same lines with an auto 325i. plan is to convert and replace most of the same items u have. i feel converting an auto 325i is benificial compared to purchasing a manual 325i as it pretty much ensures the engine hasnt been ravaged haha. just curious...what is the total cost to date that uve spent on the car cheers.

hey mate, looks like a great project uve got yourself into. am looking to go down pretty much the exact same lines with an auto 325i. plan is to convert and replace most of the same items u have. i feel converting an auto 325i is benificial compared to purchasing a manual 325i as it pretty much ensures the engine hasnt been ravaged haha. just curious...what is the total cost to date that uve spent on the car cheers.

Hmmm, probably 6k easily. (incl the car)

The car was $2300 to start with. money goes fast when you have a project car.

I have an E30 as I love older cars, but don't mind spending some money on it, however once my new house is built and I'm paying the mortgage things will slow down some what, however I have until March next year before that happens, so in the mean time I'm getting as much done as possible.

I need some panel and paint, wheels, steering is a tad vague, so a few things to sort out.. plenty to do yet.

The manual conversion process wasn't too bad either and is well worth doing.

Got the WAR chip today, put on a map that a bimmersport member kindly gave me to try, the car runs well with this map, he tweaked it a bit on the dyno and his car is pretty much stock, so it should be a close match.

As far as I can tell the only real adjustment needed is the idle, its around 1000rpm, which is a little on the high side.

With the new suspension and new found throttle response the car is becoming more fun to drive, however the steering seems somewhat vague/sloppy, so I need to look into this, one of the control arm bushes looks like its in backwards too.

Hopefully with a good wheel alignment the steering feel will improve, probably needs some castor.

Edited by Charles32