Sign in to follow this  
3 SERIES

E30 Very slow to warm up

The E30 seems to take a while to warm up. Tends to take 5-10 mins, about 5km before the it reaches temperature.

I have recently replaced the thermostat which did make it better bit still seems to take some time. Is this normal? All help/info would be appreciated.

Cheers

Yea that's about the norm. All Of mine have taken about that, because it's a cast iron block. You'll notice it stays warm for a long time after its turned off too

Edited by euroriffic

Mine was exactly like that too, was always wondering the same myself.

If this is the best issue you can give us then e30 ownership has been treating you very well Brett!

If this is the best issue you can give us then e30 ownership has been treating you very well Brett!

Ha ha cheers Max. Has a few little things that require attention but nothing major. Should really start a project thread. Will give me a bit of motivation to get the bits n pieces done.

It won't be due to cast iron block because my S50 is cast iron and it takes just over a KM to be at operating temp.

It won't be due to cast iron block because my S50 is cast iron and it takes just over a KM to be at operating temp.

That's crazy, my alloy m52 takes an age to warm up. By the time I drive to work which takes about 15mins it's only at about a quarter. Makes cold mornings suck haha. Good thing the m44 takes mare seconds.

So does anyone have any ideas on this? Or is it really the norm?

I think it may just be the norm, my E30 is the same despite having a new thermostat. Not that it's in tip-top shape, but it normally isn't warm for at least 6kms.

That's crazy, my alloy m52 takes an age to warm up. By the time I drive to work which takes about 15mins it's only at about a quarter. Makes cold mornings suck haha. Good thing the m44 takes mare seconds.

Cooling system is a cooling system, no difference in how they work between the models. Mine is super fast at warming up but thought that was just normal.

My petrol cars warm up super fast, but the diesel takes longer though.

My e46's needle leave the blue zone as I reverse out of the driveway and will reach the middle in two blocks (~500m). I can get warm-air from the vents as soon as I drive off. Gotta love instant heat in winter.

My other previous Bimmers (e46 compact and e36) are slightly slower but not far off.

The gauges have a designed "normal" range.

The engine temp fluctuates, and the "normal" position is always displyed over a range of engine temperatures.

I know the gauge in M54 powered cars shows normal over a very wide temperature range - seemingly from mid 70's to abou 115C! Hence their intolerance to being "overheated"!

An E30 probably doesn't show "normal" until it's near or into the 80's, so might actually show normal much later than an M54 powered car, even though the M54 is actually at a cooler temp.

I guess the short answer is that the gauges are NOT linear. Older cars used to show the temperature fluctuations of the engines, but it started to worry people, so the curve of the gauge was altered to hide them.

As far as I know the E30 gauges do not register until 80, and normal is about 90 degrees. I still don't like the idea of driving "spiritedly" until it's at least above 1/4 on the gauge!

Sounds normal to me - my m20 takes about the same amount of time to get a proper spring in her step. So if you've got a problem.... then so do I <_<

Ever BMW ive owned has warmed up by the end of the road which is 2km and takes about 2mins (2\3 80kph & 1\3 60kph zone)

I agree with Jared..all my e30s warm quickly

THe question is tho..Is it an issue??

I know Brett wonders if it may be contributing to high fuel consumption

Well I know mine is pretty dissapointing on fuel, I struggle to keep it under 11L/100kms around town, but I thought maybe that was just the go with a 320i. Although mine also has a very low diff so maybe thats contributing.

Perhaps time for a new thermostat. (Although Brett has already done this so it won't help him!)

Maybe there are other aspects that need investigating, are all the coolant lines as they should be and in good condition? I know my thermostat housing was broken when I got the car, so one of the coolant lines was just plugged :o

Edited by huff3r

When I got my E34 the thermostat was pried open with a screwdriver ROFL.

has your car had it's AC Removed? I have wondered if the bigger AC radiator is "too" big. (even though it shouldn't matter)