Sign in to follow this  
priyanshlall

Warm Car before driving.

hey peeps,

I just got a new BMW 320i 2001. Just womdering if i need to warm up before i get it running in the morning?

Please advice as some have told me not to and some have told me that i need to lol..

Seriously? I have heard that people living in places like Canada in sub zero conditions have some form of engine heating... Or do you mean running the engine to warm it before you give it a thrash?

Seriously? I have heard that people living in places like Canada in sub zero conditions have some form of engine heating... Or do you mean running the engine to warm it before you give it a thrash?

hahah lol...Yea i mean do i warm up da engine on a cold morning before thrashing it or just thrash it straight away lol

You don't really have to run your car in idle for too long. In my user manual it says; run for no more than 30 - 60 seconds if the weather is cold and then start driving. This is because if you run the car in idle for too long carbon dust stars building up inside your engine (because in idle not all the fuel is burning out), which could make some damage in the long run. Personally, I usually wait until the gauge arrow reaches the blue mark on the temperature gauge. After you started driving your car, keep the revs between 1,500 and 3,500 before it reaches operating water temperature. Then drive it for another 15 - 20 minute to warm your oil up, and you are safe to thrash it.

Edited by swordfish

Just thrash the living sh*t out of it.

Man, I just typed a novel .. and got killed by the cookie monster and lost it all grrrr

anyways,

Yes warm up your car but not for too long. That will help with stone cold engine start. (crank and cam bearing shell wear)

Make sure you car is up to normal operating temp before taking it over 4000rpm and/or doing spirted driving

Oil operating temprature.

Oil prssure takes longer to build when oil is cold.

Water temp gauge isnt your oil temprature, but can be used to work it out.

Oil usually only takes a 1-2ks to get upto normal operating temp 80-95 degrees.

All of this is dependant on the grade of oil you use and ambient outside tempratures.

Accidentally, I once left one of my cars Idling for an hour or so. (LS400) It was so quiet I forgot I had not turned it off until I saw vapour coming out of the exhaust blowing in the wind!

Bet that did no good for the engine internals!!

Accidentally, I once left one of my cars Idling for an hour or so. (LS400) It was so quiet I forgot I had not turned it off until I saw vapour coming out of the exhaust blowing in the wind!

Bet that did no good for the engine internals!!

people do that every night on the motorway gridlocked

Yeah, its not the end of the world. Again youll just get build up of desposits in and around the head. Maybe a stuck hydraulic lifter or 2. But that takes hours and hours.

Modern engines are pretty good these days.

In my E34's drivers manual it says not to leave it idling to warm it up.

but to drive it gently until it warms up.