Sign in to follow this  
Nobimmer

M50B20 build

So after running a season with the m20b28, I decided I would build a new 2 litre motor to run in the C class. For anyone who doesn't already know, C class is a engine control class with the only real limitation being displacement ( as well as the other controls- tyres, weights etc.).

Anywho, sold the m20 pretty promptly and started researching.

Posted Image

After talking to a few people I decided on an m50, purely because they are worth peanuts and parts are pretty easy to find for them. I spent about a week sending emails back and forth with Steve (crunchy) - Thanks again for that, really put me onto some good info that was unavailable to me, and Evan at Speedfactor who I am getting most the parts off. I finally decided to get onto a motor.

Of course, my first port of call was Ray and Sam at HELLBM. Sam basically walked me through the conversion ( which is now the easy part) and the next day I had a complete engine sitting in my work shop, now thats service! Ray gave me all the parts I would need including the mounts and all the anciliries and loom I would need to get it going, we also went thru and grabbed a bunch of different throttle bodies, inlet manifolds and other bits and pieces which we are going to trial out.After a couple of hours I had the motor in parts and the shortblock was on the stand ready to be stripped.

Posted Image

After another couple of hours, the whole motor was in bits and ready to be inspected.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I dont really know why I layed these out nicely, pretty much all of this stuff is going in the bin, the only bits we are reusing are the cam retainers and crank.

I sent the head and block away to the local engine guy to get the head pressure tested, milled and did the same with the block. I also got them to give the bores a hone so I could give a measurement to the badass peeps at Wiseco so they could build me some High compression pistons. I was going to do this myself and thought meh it's only $80, but if I were to do it again I would do it my self. He didn't really do a good job of cleaning the block which I asked him to do, or maybe I'm just anal, either way I have made a parts washer and am cleaning everything out THOROUGHLY.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thats basically where I am at right now.

I have ordered the parts and will update as I go but basically, we are aiming for around a 12.5:1 CR which we will run on E85 or Avgas, some decent porting to come, and a HD top end. I won't go into too much detail yet 'cos to be honest I dont even know what I'm doing yet, but I do know that I have ordered the Forged pistons, H Beam rods, ARP bottom end bolts, new bearings etc, SS valves, Titanium springs/retainers, Cometic HG, and a bunch more stuff from Speedfactor, thanks again Evan, can't recommend him enough.

Am off to see Steve this week some time to sort out what we are going to do with the cams and a few other bits and pieces.

There ya go, I will post updates and retarded questions as I go.

Cheers

Ashkan

Great initial write up Ashkan. Await updates with anticipation :)

Really can't wait to see this all up and running. I think you're onto a winner there Ashkan.

Edited by Ari Gold

It's a damned good start dude, and once I get rid of the bloody flu someone was kind enough to give me, I'll do my thing on the head... Hope that sounded right :)

Edited by Ari Gold

Where/when did you learn to write?

Wanna see how you get on though, lots of cool ideas.

Nice one, looking forward to progress.

Cool project

I'm liking all the new parts. Interested to see how much you can squeeze out of the 2L

The last couple of nights has just been collecting parts and cleaning everything. I was just about to order a brand new sump to suit, but Dave (Silver Fox) came to the party and sorted me out an E34 m50 sump so that saved me a headache an a bunch of coin. Cheers again Dave.

I also went round to Josh's (hybrid) to go over his oil cooling setup and like every other time, spent the better part of the evening talking sh*t about everything other than the oil cooler setup. I ended up getting a spare S50 oil filter housing he had lying around that I can weld/adapt some -10AN fittings onto as the S50 one has the factory inlets/outlets for the cooler piping. More on that as I progress.

Anywho, heres some pics, everyone loves pics.

S50 filter housing

Posted Image

E34 sump. The factory windage tray thing isn't really needed 'cos I'm gonna use a crankscraper or make something else up. So Graham at Artizan Automotive said to gut it.

Posted Image

After. Got happy with the cold chisel.

Posted Image

After that, I went to town on all the engine internals that we are reusing in an attempt to make them look like new again. After trying all the normal stuff like Brake clean, Kero etc, I used my Arab instincts and mixed up these three things and they worked a f**kn treat. Was just some scummy GP degreaser, keroseen, and petrol. Basically filled the fish bin half full with it and soaked everything in it then scrubbed everything piece by piece.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

At this stage it was 11PM and I was in cbf mode, sump came up like new after a couple hours.

Posted Image

Was a tedious procedure but is really rewarding and to be fair I have nothing else to do until all the parts show up. Oh, also, after scrubbing the sh*t out of the parts (especially all the alluminium) you have to really wash all the degreasing solution off. I basically ran another bath full of fresh water and soaked it in there for a minute and sprayed it off with a water bottle. I then had another big bath of just keroseen/iso which I dunked the bits in and let drop dry. So far nothing has melted or turned black/oxidised so must be OK. Doing this also will make reassembling the motor a 100 times easier. Photos don't do much justice but everything is cleeeean.

Next week, head is off to Steve to get the living sh*t ported out of it, I'll be seeing our other forum sponsor Darren at NZAD for an m3 gearbox and the clutch kit which I will need to balance the bottom end. I will also be cleaning the rest of the bits. Graham and I have also started drawing up different ways of mounting the motor and Gearbox.

churrr

Non-caustic oven cleaner and paint striper works a treat on alloy.

Edited by Ari Gold

Spent the whole of last night going through possibilities with the motor with Steve last night, now we have an action plan. Steve is porting the lights out of the head and making a few bits and pieces for reassembly. Great to have someone with a wealth of know-how on board!

Tonight, cleaned more stuff up, really just killing time waiting for the parts to show up. Have got the taps ready and Graham and I are going to retap every hole in the block to make putting it back together easier. I have also got some new Dremel bits and am taking to the block to get rid of all the burs and factory casting marks. Fun fun fun.

No pics as nothing really happened apart from demolishing about 5 tooth brushes and 100 pipe cleaners. Graham has said I can't put the motor back together until I am able to put a meal on it and eat it - knowing him this will be happening, literally!

heads half done..........couldn't be assed doing work this afternoon :)

Nice work Ash, Looking forward to seeing this. We will have to have a beer and a catch up soon.

awesome stuff guys!

Ashkan, you have an extra mission too. Remove more none nessacary weight from your race car. Also time for glass panels :D

Im sure you mean unnessacary, haha.

Yeah, still a bunch of weight to come out but can do that later, have enough sh*t to do now. Glass panels are not on the cards yet unfortunatly.

Went and picked up Getrag220 Gearbox, 6 puck clutch, 'moly flywheel and badass Pressure Plate from forum sponsor Darren at NZAD. Would highly recommend him , good to deal with and cheaper than anyone I got prices from.

finished the exhaust ports you want me to post a pic?

finished the exhaust ports you want me to post a pic?

Do it... nothing better to show bimmersport it before hes seen it.

Do it... nothing better to show bimmersport it before hes seen it.

ash has to give the ok first

Bit of a backwards night tonight. Came into the workshop ready to get the last of the cleaning done and the bores and I had forgotten to rinse the Chem wash stuff off the block so it had started rusting. Attacked it with dio something or rather and it has come back to how it was. Still gotta finish it up tommorow but hey it was rescued!

Go on Steve, no need to ask!

Block is ready for assembly. Just waiting on the pistons/rods etc to show up. Also getting Steve to make up some oil squirter plugs to plug up the squirters off the bearing journals.

Posted Image

Can I ask why you didn't go first oversize on the pistons to get a better piston to bore fit ??

Can I ask why you didn't go first oversize on the pistons to get a better piston to bore fit ??

don't take this the wrong way but from the BMW guys Ive dealt with they have very strange ideas how things should or could be done and as Ive always said "just cause its a BMW doesn't mean there's not other ways of doing things.

as for the piston thing its all well in hand and done within ash's budget but to also achieve what hes after, there also seems to be an obsession for doing oversize bores and stroker kits, Ive tuned a a few common strokers used in BMW and to be honest didn't impress me for the work put into them due to spending time and money on the wrong things lets just see how this pans out for ash thus why im helping him as hes willing to listen which makes a pleasant change.

If he is ordering high compression pistons tailored to the measured bore size, then won't that already give him the perfect fit? I.E why go first oversize if his block is in good nick, and the bore size is still correct for whatever pistons he is using?