Sign in to follow this  
jeffbebe

M52 cold air intake

Here's my M52 engine:

Posted Image

As you can see the previous owner has installed an aftermarket cold air intake. Another Bimmersport member has suggested that I replace with an OEM original as the current modification is likely to increase fuel consumption.

I gather these intakes are designed to improve performance. Since I'm not racing the car and 80% of its use is around town, I'm wondering should I replace this intake?

Would love to have this explained. How does it improve performance? Is that pretty pointless if the car's not getting a thrash on the open road very often? And are their negative impacts like fuel consumption?

Cheers in advance.

the oem air-box with a k&n or there of would work better pod filters never were the best thing to have unless inside an air-box, you can also replace the flexible bend to the throttle body with a smooth silicone version for both performance and economy

Most of the time, people fit them fr the noise. There's not usually any other benefits anyway.

the oem air-box with a k&n or there of would work better pod filters never were the best thing to have unless inside an air-box, you can also replace the flexible bend to the throttle body with a smooth silicone version for both performance and economy

Is it difficult/expensive to replace? I guess what I'd really like to know is would the benefits of restoring the OEM box with a decent filter outweight the cost of doing it?

Most of the time, people fit them fr the noise. There's not usually any other benefits anyway.

I want less noise not more! hah What noise is it supposed to make? I haven't noticed anything particularly hearty about the noise my car makes but then, I'm mostly sitting inside it and BMW do make thick doors.

I can't really see where the intake is getting its air from but if the filter is exposed to engine air, it will be sucking in warm air under certain circumstances.

The only real way is to measure the in take temp and the KG of air per hour is by obtaining readings from the MAF. This will properly confirm what the engine is getting.

I spent a little bit of time tuning my airbox this way. I still have some strange goings on about 160kph+ but thats low pressure in front of the car building up.

What you want from a CAI is physical separation between you cold air source and the warm air in the engine bay, Ample none turbulent air source across the speed range. Shielded from rain.

I can't really see where the intake is getting its air from but if the filter is exposed to engine air, it will be sucking in warm air under certain circumstances.

The only real way is to measure the in take temp and the KG of air per hour is by obtaining readings from the MAF. This will properly confirm what the engine is getting.

I spent a little bit of time tuning my airbox this way. I still have some strange goings on about 160kph+ but thats low pressure in front of the car building up.

What you want from a CAI is physical separation between you cold air source and the warm air in the engine bay, Ample none turbulent air source across the speed range. Shielded from rain.

You lost me at "I can't..."!

I've only once driven at over 160kph and that was on a circuit in some ugly porche years ago. My car rarely gets the opportunity to clear 80 as I mostly use it around town (unfortunately)!!

Maybe when I get round to bring that box of Pures round you could take a look for me?

You lost me at "I can't..."!

I've only once driven at over 160kph and that was on a circuit in some ugly porche years ago. My car rarely gets the opportunity to clear 80 as I mostly use it around town (unfortunately)!!

Maybe when I get round to bring that box of Pures round you could take a look for me?

Put it on trade me, and offer to swap it for a standard setup. Someone will swap it all over for you. Then buy a new air filter element and you're back to standard.

Put it on trade me, and offer to swap it for a standard setup. Someone will swap it all over for you. Then buy a new air filter element and you're back to standard.

Good idea... Worth a try at least!

looks pretty cool compared to oem but it pretty much does nothing at all.

People put these on as they are usually the first or cheapest "performance" mod. Advantages in sound could be achieved in turbo cars such as hearing the turbo spooling up whistle, etc.

Other than that i would recommend oem

Edited by andy_e39

looks pretty cool compared to oem but it pretty much does nothing at all.

People put these on as they are usually the first or cheapest "performance" mod. Advantages in sound could be achieved in turbo cars such as hearing the turbo spooling up whistle, etc.

Other than that i would recommend oem

If it's not on the outside I'm not too fussed about what it looks like as long as it's doing its job. If the OEM air box does a better job then that's what I want, regardless of looks!

Best option imo would be to get a box fabricated to enclose air filter element from engine bay air (homemade CAI). Im pretty sure josh has done this on his e30. Also look at getting a proper filter (k&n or afe) if not already.

What crunchy said about the samco hose is very true, also allows you to eliminate the asc throttle body which is a restrictive part of thr m52 intake.

If it's not on the outside I'm not too fussed about what it looks like as long as it's doing its job. If the OEM air box does a better job then that's what I want, regardless of looks!

exactly. plus 99% of the time noone sees whats in your engine bay. oem is the way to go! :)

If I go with the OEM box anyone know where I can get the silicone version of the flexible throttle body crunchy describes?

If I go with the OEM box anyone know where I can get the silicone version of the flexible throttle body crunchy describes?

ray@hellbm for the airrbox and search the net for the intake hose i dont think anyone carries it here in nz i could be wrong

ray@hellbm for the airrbox and search the net for the intake hose i dont think anyone carries it here in nz i could be wrong

Thanks mate.

Is this the part your talking about? http://store.bimmerworld.com/bimmerworld-s...e36z3-p923.aspx

Can't find one to fit my car though if it is.

Is this the part your talking about? http://store.bimmerworld.com/bimmerworld-s...e36z3-p923.aspx

Can't find one to fit my car though if it is.

yes thats correct you may have to do some mods to make it fit but it does work better over stock

yes thats correct you may have to do some mods to make it fit but it does work better over stock

My mechanical skills add up to f*ck all. Would I be better getting someone who knows what they're doing to make this work?

Here's a full write-up on the same mod:

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=303334

You have an m52 so it will be exactly the same unless the previous owner upgraded the air mass sensor which i seriously doubt.

Here's where we got it from:

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-1916-e36...5i-328i-m3.aspx

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-2236-e36...alve-hoses.aspx

You'll definately want the plug to fill the hole the asc actuator will leave.

My mate completed the task himself with the above items from turner and $16 of tools and equip from jaycar, and he is not exactly mechanical savvy.

Here's a full write-up on the same mod:

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=303334

You have an m52 so it will be exactly the same unless the previous owner upgraded the air mass sensor which i seriously doubt.

Here's where we got it from:

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-1916-e36...5i-328i-m3.aspx

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-2236-e36...alve-hoses.aspx

You'll definately want the plug to fill the hole the asc actuator will leave.

My mate completed the task himself with the above items from turner and $16 of tools and equip from jaycar, and he is not exactly mechanical savvy.

Cool, thanks.

Just out of interest... I just had my ASC fixed (broken throttle cable or something). It seems from these instructions that this mod will permanently disable the ASC. That doesn't mean the ABS will be disabled though, right? What impact does the ASC being disabled actually have (other than the warning light staying permanently on)?

Edited by jeffbebe

All stock is probably fine, from what you said earlier. It's certainly easier ;)

All stock is probably fine, from what you said earlier. It's certainly easier ;)

It's starting to sound like by far the best option.

Yep, and consider BMW spent zillions on R&D for best setup. Unless you get serious with cold air intake (CIA) as mentioned above, then revert to stock with an OEM filter. Bound to be quieter too...

Cool, thanks.

Just out of interest... I just had my ASC fixed (broken throttle cable or something). It seems from these instructions that this mod will permanently disable the ASC. That doesn't mean the ABS will be disabled though, right? What impact does the ASC being disabled actually have (other than the warning light staying permanently on)?

ABS remains of course. The m52 stability control, only limits the throttle doesnt actually adjust the brakes. Its quite a primitive and annoying setup.

You might get some attention at wof centres for the dash light. But the most noticeable gain is a more responsive throttle and freer revving. Also means you can do stand still's....