Sign in to follow this  
wstbrn

which one to buy

Hey everyone just signed up today looking at getting a BMW so thought I would join up and find out some extra info and some advice.

I’m looking at getting an e46 330ci or 328ci around a 2002 model, I have heard the e46 have some sub frame problems is that a big thing here in nz or more of an overseas problem?

Is it worth buying a Manuel or is the tiptronic alright in terms or reliability and driveability

Any other info or problems to look to out for when buying would be appreciated

I vote 330ci. I regret buying a smaller sized engine. Fuel consumption should be similar and in the future easier to sell. Tiptronic vs manual is completely your preference.

Post up some pics of the actual cars you want to buy.

-Andy

having said that, some parts for the 330i are different to all other E46s so may be harder to come across and/or more expencive that thier 320i/323i/325i/328i brothers. i havent had one to know the difference mind.

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

330ci absolutely no question. In fact, you should buy mine....

Biggest thing to look out for is a full service history & a well looked after car. Personally, I'd hold out for an NZ new one, with leather, sport seats & the multifunction steering wheel. There wasn't much of a problem with rear subframe problems in NZ - from memory it mainly affected the earlier ones (like the 328) and is more of a problem on lowered/modified cars. Tom (M3_Power) might have more info on this.

A full inspection by a BMW expert is well worth the $$ when you are close to buying one.

Edit: The steptronic auto is very good as far as auto's go - they have been known to go pop if abused, but are generally reliable and are a pretty good drive. Manuals are a bit rare but they are out there - personally Ive never driven one and have only ever seen a couple on Trademe. If you got an auto and the worst did happen, there are plenty of donor cars around now for replacement, and manual conversions are possible (HellBM can do them)... Just depends on your preference and what cars are available etc. I'm guessing a manual will command a premium price due to their rarity if you find one.

The cooling systems are a weak spot on these - so service history & inspection is important to avoid surprises.

Edited by elmarco

330ci absolutely no question. In fact, you should buy mine....

Biggest thing to look out for is a full service history & a well looked after car. Personally, I'd hold out for an NZ new one, with leather, sport seats & the multifunction steering wheel. There wasn't much of a problem with rear subframe problems in NZ - from memory it mainly affected the earlier ones (like the 328) and is more of a problem on lowered/modified cars. Tom (M3_Power) might have more info on this.

A full inspection by a BMW expert is well worth the $$ when you are close to buying one.

Edit: The steptronic auto is very good as far as auto's go - they have been known to go pop if abused, but are generally reliable and are a pretty good drive. Manuals are a bit rare but they are out there - personally Ive never driven one and have only ever seen a couple on Trademe. If you got an auto and the worst did happen, there are plenty of donor cars around now for replacement, and manual conversions are possible (HellBM can do them)... Just depends on your preference and what cars are available etc. I'm guessing a manual will command a premium price due to their rarity if you find one.

The cooling systems are a weak spot on these - so service history & inspection is important to avoid surprises.

haha i have been looking at yours on trade me sadly i wont be ready to buy for another month or so yet

I vote 330ci. I regret buying a smaller sized engine. Fuel consumption should be similar and in the future easier to sell. Tiptronic vs manual is completely your preference.

Post up some pics of the actual cars you want to buy.

-Andy

thats good to know hadnt thought of that

Also what kind of kms shud i be looking at obviously the lower the better, but at what km range do they start running into problems and becoming expensive to run. ill probly be looking in the 80000km to 120000km, around $9000 to $12000 is about my price range. mite find it hard getting a hold of a decent 330ci for that.

thanks for the info so far

Edited by wstbrn

Also what kind of kms shud i be looking at obviously the lower the better, but at what km range do they start running into problems and becoming expensive to run.

Untrue, to a point.

I'd rather buy a NZ New BMW with 200,000km with a full service history than a Jap 120,000km BMW with nothing.

330, NZ new with a proven service history - Negotiate with confidence, some REALLY good deals to be had

Looks a hell of a lot like an import that but it isn't, strange looking E46 & the colour...

yea i was looking at that one not sure on the colour but it is differnet to the normal black or grey, wish i was good at photoshop to see what it would look like with some nicer rims :)

the gf is putting the pressure on to lower my budget but that would put me down to the 318ci dont think i can do that not after what everyone has said

edit: same look but no power

Edited by wstbrn

Untrue, to a point.

I'd rather buy a NZ New BMW with 200,000km with a full service history than a Jap 120,000km BMW with nothing.

i get your point but buying a car at 200000km would be asking for it wouldnt it? i have always been told to look around 120000km at the most, are the e46 that reliable at that amount of kms even with a good service hostory?

Take her for a ride in a 330 with heated seats. She'll forgo the 318i after that.

the gf is putting the pressure on to lower my budget but that would put me down to the 318ci dont think i can do that not after what everyone has said

You need the power.

You need the power!

YOU NEED THE POWER!

bmws are very durable if looked after,they arent cheap(in time or money) to own.many bmw owners will spend a lot of time or money maintaning there cars,so buying a 200 000 k bmw may not be filled with the perils of an non maintained 200 000 k car.This is esp true of newer models,remember we are talking about cars that cost well over one hundred thousand so a few hundred here and there is a relatively small ammount of money for someone who can contemplate spending that sort of money in the first place.

Take her for a ride in a 330 with heated seats. She'll forgo the 318i after that.

You gotta love a nice warm bottom :-)

The budget should not matter if you will keep it over 2 or so years. because the sell price will still be better for a 330 over the 318.

I like power I went froma e30 318 to a e39 540 the cost per week is +/- $12 in fuel. relitive to low km's the difference between 9l/100 to 11l/100 is $4 the misses does about 200 and I give it a blast in the weekend.

best value for $12 i ever get.

Economy is never given in context . No one ever look at cost relitive to personal use.

My wife get to drive what ever I bring home. I rarely let her know what I'm looking at. I usually ask if she has money in the right account then tell her I'll sell if she don't like it. After the 318 she loves the 540.

drop the bomb and let the dust fly you both will be happier after.