Sign in to follow this  
slvrbmw

The joy of owning an E39

Hi Guys,

Our 2002 E39 split its radiator today (luckily while parked) and I am now going to have the whole cooling system replaced as a preventive measure (radiator, all hoses, thermostat, water pump). I should have done this when we bought the car a few months ago because I know this is a problem on E39s and my previous one did exactly the same thing. But because the car is generally in a good condition I thought it would not be necessary. Hope this is a warning to all the other E39 owners out there to get it done asap. My car is NZ new and has a full BMW service history so dont be fooled into thinking that it only applies to imports. This is going to cost heaps but hopefully we will not have any problems again for a while. I still love it - so smooth to drive.

Good idea, it's certainly something I would have done as a preventative measure if I bought an E39!

Nothing to do with import etc, from the early 90s BMW were using recycled plastic due to laws in Germania, sure they get brownie points for saving the word but that sh*t don't last, if you only replace one plastic item then another weak spot will show soon afterwards so yes it is gonna be costly for you but will work out better in the long run.

Buy a Motorsport version, that shits aluminum ;)

Yeah, it's a shame they have issues. I wonder why they insist on a 2.0 bar cap too, when all the jappas are happy with 0.9 or 1.1's.

Makes me glad I have the high OBC with the coolant level warning and overheat warning - makes it much harder for the Mrs to ignore!

Pays to check the viscous fan too. By the time the gauge moves up from normal on these (especially the M54 powered ones) they're already too hot. The expansion tanks have been known to pop too. Jeez makes it sound like a money pit!

I had one of the heater hoses split on the way to a new years eve trip in mine. Was luck enough that the split developed right by the hose clamp, so i was able to cut that bit off and stretch the hose back on. A good way to tell if the plasticy cooling system bits are old, or are ready to let go is if they are discoloured. i.e brownish or greyish colour.

Yeah, it's a shame they have issues. I wonder why they insist on a 2.0 bar cap too, when all the jappas are happy with 0.9 or 1.1's.

Makes me glad I have the high OBC with the coolant level warning and overheat warning - makes it much harder for the Mrs to ignore!

Pays to check the viscous fan too. By the time the gauge moves up from normal on these (especially the M54 powered ones) they're already too hot. The expansion tanks have been known to pop too. Jeez makes it sound like a money pit!

More pressure means quicker warm up time which also means better fuel economy.

I had to replace my E34's 250,000km old radiator, waterpump, thermostat, radiator cap. ect...

Won't build up pressure at all now.... :S

Speaking of radiator replacement Silverdale Radiators in Auckland: according to their website do E39 (suitable 2.8 and 4.4ltr engine size) for $295. I had an E34 540 split it's radiator. I forget the price but think I was quoted OEM around $600-$700. Didn't know about the Silverdale place at them time. Anyone had any experience with their radiators? Website doesn't mention where they are made but says not from China.

Worth looking at...

I'm sure they are a Cryomax or something. From Taiwan.

I have one on my E34. Seems okay built enough.

get a genuine one or something oem from pelican if your car is worth enough IMO.

Speaking of radiator replacement Silverdale Radiators in Auckland: according to their website do E39 (suitable 2.8 and 4.4ltr engine size) for $295. I had an E34 540 split it's radiator. I forget the price but think I was quoted OEM around $600-$700. Didn't know about the Silverdale place at them time. Anyone had any experience with their radiators? Website doesn't mention where they are made but says not from China.

Worth looking at...

bought an e46 radiator from them a few months back. its still in good shape

Hi Guys,

Our 2002 E39 split its radiator today (luckily while parked) and I am now going to have the whole cooling system replaced as a preventive measure (radiator, all hoses, thermostat, water pump). I should have done this when we bought the car a few months ago because I know this is a problem on E39s and my previous one did exactly the same thing. But because the car is generally in a good condition I thought it would not be necessary. Hope this is a warning to all the other E39 owners out there to get it done asap. My car is NZ new and has a full BMW service history so dont be fooled into thinking that it only applies to imports. This is going to cost heaps but hopefully we will not have any problems again for a while. I still love it - so smooth to drive.

Thanks for the news flash!

The old man had a E39 528i new in 1996 and then another later on and both had constant cooling problems even after being back on factory recalls and having parts replaced. They are beyond sh*t. I remember numerous stops on the side of the road even when the car was relatively new all the way back then.

There is a lady who parks in the car park out side my office and I laugh at her in her E39 everyday, every time she goes to leave she routinely opens the hood and tops up the water.

German engineering at its absolute worst.