Sign in to follow this  
jeffbebe

What BBS style are these?

The list of things to fix, repaint, rejuvenate goes ever on... At some point (cash allowing) I really want to restore my wheels. Anyone know what BBS style these are?

Posted Image

The BMW wheel caps are obviously aftermarket, pretty certain it had BBS centres and these weren't factory alloys. Can't find them on the web but then I'm not really sure where to start looking.

Anyone know where I can get some valve adapters for RS-IIs? Didn't get them when I bought the car. Just replaced the wheels and managed to air up the tyres without them but no way of checking tyre pressure.

Posted Image

Edited by jeffbebe

About to dig (very) deep to get these wheels reconditioned. Gonna cost approx $450 per wheel to bring them back to new and black chrome all of the bolts which should look pretty good. Before I part with the best part of $2K anyone got any alternative suggestions to talk me out of it?

A lot of monies to spend on what is a fairly average looking wheel.

RS 740 is betterer.

A lot of monies to spend on what is a fairly average looking wheel.

RS 740 is betterer.

Don't want to split hairs but aside from the deep dish they look fairly similar to my average looking wheels, don't they? How much would a set of new RS740s cost w/ tyres?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Guest Simon*

I quite like the wheels - just not sure they're worth the $450 a wheel pimping.

Maybe just look at getting the lips done and a paint?

That seems like a large cost to get them re-finished.

Surely there are cheaper ways?

Edit: Arrow wheels quoted me ~$270 per wheel about 12 months ago (for these wheels too...)

For $2k I'd rather make an offer on a set of genuine M5 wheels being stored in a BS member's garage.

Edited by brunch

That seems like a large cost to get them re-finished.

Surely there are cheaper ways?

Edit: Arrow wheels quoted me ~$270 per wheel about 12 months ago (for these wheels too...)

For $2k I'd rather make an offer on a set of genuine M5 wheels being stored in a BS member's garage.

$450 quote is from Arrow. Apparently they just did an identical set and it was a lot of work.

I have to admit I prefer these wheels to the M5 ones, and the staggered fitment looks pretty tough.

I quite like the wheels - just not sure they're worth the $450 a wheel pimping.

Maybe just look at getting the lips done and a paint?

It's the stainless steel lips that are the expensive bit from what I understand. Painting and re-forming the lips is about $400 per wheel. To black chrome the bolts $50 per set.

I tried Brugar on the N. Shore and the cost was much of muchness, plus they can't store my car while the wheels are fixed. Since I don't have a tow truck or spare set of wheels that's not much good to me.

Anyone knows of anywhere else I'm all ears.

mag master in Tauranga are quite cheap and did a great job with my wheels. If your interested in something different i've got some style 19's that i'll be looking to sell soon

Don't want to split hairs but aside from the deep dish they look fairly similar to my average looking wheels, don't they? How much would a set of new RS740s cost w/ tyres?

Posted Image

Posted Image

See. Far more dish and far more shape. What's not to like. And no 'orrible centre cap or stainless trim.

Price? Dunno. From 'bout $600 wheels only?

See. Far more dish and far more shape. What's not to like. And no 'orrible centre cap or stainless trim.

Price? Dunno. From 'bout $600 wheels only?

haha! The centre caps on mine look okay - the original BBS ones have been replaced with BMW caps.

If I could find a set of 740s in good nick or $600 I'd be v.interested!

mag master in Tauranga are quite cheap and did a great job with my wheels. If your interested in something different i've got some style 19's that i'll be looking to sell soon

Probably cost me in petrol what I'd save unfortunately.

Not too keen on the style 19s sorry.

Humming and hawing about reconditioning the wheels now since getting a like-for-like quote from Manukau Auto & Tyre Centre of only $250 per wheel (or $300 including black chromed bolts).

That's a massive difference but I've had a lot of people tell me Arrow Wheels (who I got the original quote) from are the real deal. Anyone know the place in Manukau. Will I get what I pay for? i.e. should I pay the extra and get Arrow to do it or save $6-800 and take a chance on the other guys?

Looked at all sorts of other wheel options and can't find anything I like as much as my original wheels.

Not bad looking wheels, but there's no way I'd spend that much money on them!

Sell them off and buy a set of wheels that have already been refurbed when there's some for sale. Or are you in a rush?

**ahelm** sounds like my garage....

Have you got some kicking around??! haha

What a coincidence.

I think that'd be a much better spend and genuine M5 wheels will hold value better than refurbed BBS's.

Wheels are a very personal choice though.

I think that'd be a much better spend and genuine M5 wheels will hold value better than refurbed BBS's.

Wheels are a very personal choice though.

I hear you, but to tell you the truth, my E39 restoration is never going to be a good investment!! haha

Personally, not a huge fan of the OEM M5 wheels and definitely prefer my existing. I do like the 740s Westy referred to and I quite like LMs but a full set new is going to cost an arm and a leg and if I get a set that need restoring it's probably going to be much of a muchness with my existing wheels.

Have decided to go with the cheaper option as I just can't justify the $450/wheel costs. The cheaper one does commit to redoing any job the customer's not happy with, so I guess I can't ask for more than that!