Sign in to follow this  
Gaz

So I ended up with a 540i

I throw a cheeky bid on a 540 on Tuesday only to get an email 9hours later saying I had won it for a tinny more than 3k....did not expect that.... Went an picked it up on Wednesday and it's in quite good running order. It has sat in the guys garage for the past two years and his wife told him enough was enough and it had to go.

It's a pretty well optioned Jap import, just missing the leather interior which I will find some as the cloth is starting to go.

So far, I've given it a well needed oil change for which it thanked me for running alot smoother. I've also fixed the drivers seat belt as it wasn't pulling down. Next is to sort out the 80km/h wobble...I suspect it is due to the fact that he had to fit 5mm spacers to get the front wheels on so I will probably do that tomorrow.

Enough talking....more photos...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I saw this listing too. I love the wheels on it. Would say its a pretty good buy too!

Should come up well with a few repairs.

I would change the wheels to an era appropriate style however.

I would change the wheels to an era appropriate style however.

I can tell you that the wheels look a lot better in person than in photos. I was going to throw them away at the first chance I got but now, not so sure.

Shall see how I go with getting rid of the wobble tomorrow and then decide.

nice buy

also check the trusty arm bushes they will also cause wheel wobble

my mate has a pretty tidy set of leathers from e34 540i , and matching door cards ,console etc with wood trim

listed here but crap i-phone dark pics , looks much better than in the photo's

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-...n-501473796.htm

look more like this

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Brent HARTGE535i

The wheels suit it quite well, very good looking car!

Mixed first week of owning it...ditched the 19s and put these on as I had them lying around.

Posted Image

A lot more subtle and less in your face so I think I'll keep them. The 19's lacked hub centric rings so 80km wobble is gone.

To the bad, got stuck at the mall today as it wouldn't select reverse (man these cars are heavy!). All the forward gears change smooth and no strange noises that I can hear. A quick google shows it as a common thing with the check ball in the valve body has worn out. Anyone have any other opinions??

Yeah its common for that to happen.

That check ball wears out and allows forward and reverse clutch packs to be engaged at the same time when reverse is selected and quickly destroys the reverse clutches.

"I had them lying around."

-_-

:ph34r:

I'm sure there are plently things people have lying around. My things generally tend to be wheels.