Sign in to follow this  
DarinD

Project 30

Correct sir! You might want to read my post again hahaha :P

Oooops :o:lol:

looking good!

Looks great!

Cheers guys! Happy to get positive feedback from some of the veterans.

On a side note, anyone know what this dried up gunk is at the bottom of my rear view mirror? Its on my mates e30 too...

post-6404-1346818379.jpg

Tiny update, nothing major. Got a set of flat centre caps machined by a family friend. Just needs to be colour matched now. Not sure if its gonna work well but could always swap back.

post-6404-1349078082.jpg

Anyone able to recommend a good place to get the paint done?

Cheers guys! Happy to get positive feedback from some of the veterans.

On a side note, anyone know what this dried up gunk is at the bottom of my rear view mirror? Its on my mates e30 too...

post-6404-1346818379.jpg

glue from the glass. my first black E30 was like it too

glue from the glass. my first black E30 was like it too

Interesting. Do I just pick at it or will it keep coming out?

I used a cook top scraper to get it out (for want of a more professional sounding name). not sure if it will come back, didnt for me

Same on the e28 just scrape it off carefully.

Same on the e28 just scrape it off carefully.

Will do exactly that cheers guys. Should probably check the e28 too then.

Aha yes how could I forget those wheels, saw your car parked in the Royal Oak Mall outside Wendy's recently!

Aha yes how could I forget those wheels, saw your car parked in the Royal Oak Mall outside Wendy's recently!

Haha yup that would be me. Was there yesterday too!

Rare occasion that all the cars are home together. (Silver E46 sedan is a close friend's)

post-6404-1349149412.jpg

Haha yup that would be me. Was there yesterday too!

Hah, yeah I'm sure I've seen your car there before then too, I actually work in the mall complex but unfortunately only roll the Corolla there!

Been a while since I updated this... Fixed a jumping fuel gauge. Other than that no big improvements besides general services. Today I swapped back onto the original chrome kidney grills. Really in two minds as to which suits more haha. Going to clay it as well as cut n polish it tomorrow! Oh and also followed Tristan's lead and plasti dipped my wheel. Only done one so far and again mixed feelings about whether I like it haha. Probably going to get the clear coat (glossifier I think they call it??) and see how that looks. Gonna be a b*#ch to keep clean! Ignore the overspray on the tyres, I was too lazy to mask and even lazier to peel :ph34r:

post-6404-1352178362.jpeg

post-6404-1352178347.jpeg

post-6404-1352178324.jpeg

The plasti dip phase didn't last long. Peeled it off and was surprised how easily it came off, nearly in one piece. Managed to score myself a genuine IS lip but for reasons unknown I think I am going to stick with the Volvo lip. Car is in the garage at the moment getting a 4.4 diff fitted.But here are some old pics :D

post-6404-1354397548.jpg

post-6404-1354397538.jpg

post-6404-1354397556.jpg

what volvo lip are you using

It is an inverted Volvo 740 lip

It is an inverted Volvo 740 lip

i gotta find me one of those looks real good hopefully cheaper than an IS lip

Been working full time recently, finally managed to have a day to myself. Last week I managed to score Ray's leather recaro interior from the M325i he did the one series interior swap into. The drivers seat is getting some upholstery work done on the bolsters and then it should be good to drop in. In the meantime I figured I would finally get around to dyeing my carpet so when I get the seat back I could fit it all in at once. Car is currently off the road anyway since the waterpump shat itself on xmas eve.

After an hour I had this

post-6404-1356586572.jpg

I didn't really do too much research on removing the carpet. I had already removed the seats previously so had that out in five mins. The rear half of the center console was a breeze, the front portion was a bit trickier with the hidden nut. Had a bit of difficulty with the sill panels too but all they needed was a bit of force. Was worried I would crack it but they are pretty tough. The following link helped a bit:

http://e30performance.info/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1627

Here is the carpet out with its 23 years of gunk.

post-6404-1356586564.jpg

Set about water blasting it for a good half hour with no soap. It still sudded it heaps, others may have tried washing it with cleaners. As clean as it will get:

post-6404-1356586579.jpg

I wouldn't say it was an easy task but it definitely wasn't hard. After some cussing, coke (the drink!) and sh*t loads of patience it was relatively straightforward.

Will leave it to dry for a few days. Then when I get my drivers seat back Ill fit everything in again. Read that fitting the carpet back is worse than taking it out which I am not looking forward to! :rolleyes: This car is really distracting me from my e36...

Looks like you cut the carpet like I did? Lol

Yep, no way in hell was I gonna pull out the dash!

I think most people do it that way.

Such a cock up having the carpet mounted in the a/c equipment like it is.

I think most people do it that way.

Such a cock up having the carpet mounted in the a/c equipment like it is.

Yeah I doubt anyone would know its cut once I put it all back together. Was definitely put together without much thought.