Sign in to follow this  
DarinD

Project 30

Hello there people...

This is going to be kinda long but filled with pics :D figured I really should start keeping a lil thread of everything I do. If only for my benefit, to see my progress etc. This is not going to be a build of epic proportions, my heart still lies with my e36 :ph34r:

Main aim for this car is just to have a cheap cruiser. Will do a manual conversion probably soon, but otherwise I am enjoying the lil 1.8!

Apologise in advance for the pics! No talent/equipment in photography whatsoever!

All started when I saw this going for a dollar reserve on trademe

post-6404-1345250647.png

I immediately recognized it as Glenn's old car and remembered all the work he mentioned doing on it. Without even test driving it (could've been disastrous in hindsight!) I picked it up for a steal. Its done 260kms but you wouldn't know it, still runs silky smooth and the engine is as clean as a whistle!

Back home in my driveway... Blacked out the grills pretty early.

post-6404-1345250880.jpg

Decided to give it a good clean inside with a steam cleaner...

post-6404-1345250936.jpg

Random pic with a good mate of mines car.

post-6404-1345251194.jpg

Left it for about a week as is. Then this started bugging me:

post-6404-1345250989.jpg

post-6404-1345250998.jpg

Headed off to Hellbm, where Ray was kind enough to help out on a Sunday morning. Managed to pick up some goodies from him! Lowering springs were supplied and installed by the Hellbm team, and on the same day I picked up some smiley headlights and some bits and bobs to retrofit foglights.

post-6404-1345251296.jpg

Got bored one day and decided to tint the rears to all red. At the same time, I followed Hybrid's write up to retrofit e36 window switches.

post-6404-1345251391.jpg

post-6404-1345251398.jpg

Then this happened on SH20. Two blokes in a white e34 were kind enough to help push it off to the side. Fuel pump was stuffed. Got that sorted! (Don't ever run your car dry!!!!) Expensive lesson.

post-6404-1345251510.jpg

Colour coded the faded grey bumpers...

post-6404-1345251548.jpg

Europlates... Cheers Andy. Also debadged it.

post-6404-1345251679.jpg

And somewhere in between I happened upon a Volvo lip and some BBS RS reps which are temporary but my e36 needs to get sorted first! Matt blacked the brake ducts.

post-6404-1345251648.jpg

Random pic with some of the others in the fleet. Shadowlined all the chrome window/door trims.

post-6404-1345251751.jpg

And one teaser of the e36 I talk about, will make a build thread for that soon too.

post-6404-1345251789.jpg

Plans from now on is to get a set of wheels that have better fitment sooner or later and the manual conversion. Thought about a m20b25 conversion but for now am happy with the economy of the m40 haha! Whats not shown in the pics is the maintanence work done. Already had all the fluids flushed and changed. New ignition leads from Brent. Fuel pump, fuel filter, plugs etc. And all the cleaning in between, the previous owner left it in a bit of a mess! All black trims have been sprayed back to flat black. Also I'm having second thoughts about the grill, prob revert back to the chrome kidneys soon. And unsure if I will leave the brake ducts black.

Edited by L0WBMW

Looks good! A manual conversion will improve your fuel economy a LOT over the automatic too, worth while just for that if you drive around in it alot. Pm Brent he has a blue 316i/5 hes parting that manual setup will work for this car. Has a for sale thread.

Looks like a nice example. I would be inclined to have a chrome grille on it however.

badass

Cheers bro! Waiting for progress on yours! Get Paya to help out haha

good stuff, looking forward to its progress! :)

thanks! For the switch write up too, most don't notice but made a world of difference to me.

Looks good! A manual conversion will improve your fuel economy a LOT over the automatic too, worth while just for that if you drive around in it alot. Pm Brent he has a blue 316i/5 hes parting that manual setup will work for this car. Has a for sale thread.

Yep saw that, bit short on cash atm! Waiting on a set of vaders and coilovers for the e36!

Also going to update the interior with leather or e36 seats. And light tints. And more importantly, my diff is goners so I'll be replacing that with a 4.4 which will make it better when it's a manual.

Looks like a nice example. I would be inclined to have a chrome grille on it however.

Yup I've pretty much made the decision to swap back!

You already know I'm a fan of your car(s) ;)

You already know I'm a fan of your car(s) ;)

Likewise bro! If you ever want to swap... :P Drop a text when you need help with the seats.

Random pic of the 30 with a few mates.

post-6404-1345331877.jpg

This week I'll be tackling the carpet and headliner. Already done it on a mates car, hopefully I can replicate results!

post-6404-1345331940.jpg

Looks good. It's nice to see easy and tasteful mods to make it into a tidy daily.

Stick with the M40 IMO. I found my old 318i more fun to drive around the city than my 325i I currently drive every day. The good economy is also a nice bonus.

Looks good. It's nice to see easy and tasteful mods to make it into a tidy daily.

Stick with the M40 IMO. I found my old 318i more fun to drive around the city than my 325i I currently drive every day. The good economy is also a nice bonus.

Too true, tbh besides maintanence I havent spent all that much on the car. Most of it was time spent on the car and shitloads of spray cans! And as for the m40, definitely more than enough for me atm, it gives me a break from dishing out to fill up the e36! Maybe just a manual conversion haha

hey nice cars man.. nice taste!

Cheers bro! I can only take credit for the e30/36 though haha. The e46s and e28 are the parentals haha

Looking quality. I really like how E30's can go from looking sh*t to quite awesome with little details. Keep it up.

Also. I hope that guy is standing on his own car!!

Looking quality. I really like how E30's can go from looking sh*t to quite awesome with little details. Keep it up.

Also. I hope that guy is standing on his own car!!

Haha agreed!Honestly when I first got the car I couldn't stand the colour and wasgoing to spend all my money repainting it hellrot or alpine white. Now I'm in love with it, and it stands out!

Ummmm... Nah thats not his lol. His is in the middle. The owner found out when I posted the pic on fb, I'll let you know what happens there haha

Little teaser until I sort out spacers to clear the front brakes.

post-6404-1346559799.jpg

Your thread is making me want a e30 again... Damn you!

Awesome, real ones?

Honestly haven't even had the time to check them out properly! At the price I got them at, they could be fake for all I care haha. Any idea how to tell though?

Your thread is making me want a e30 again... Damn you!

Haha mate it's no fun when you're spending the money!! But that's one helluva compliment!

Nice! I've been trying to buy a set off 1 of my customers at work, no luck yet. Looking forward to pics!

[quote name='L0WBMW' date='Sep 2 2012, 06:40 PM'

Haha mate it's no fun when you're spending the money!!

I know how you feel, the touring was ment to be a cheap daily, but as usual, sh*t gets outta hand haha

Edited by euroriffic

Nice! I've been trying to buy a set off 1 of my customers at work, no luck yet. Looking forward to pics!

Bumped into an old mate and he gave it to me for the tyres of my old wheels and some cash (not very much). Just trying to decide what spacers to get. They are just touching at the front. 5mm should do it but might try my luck with 8mm, hopefully wont need longer bolts. Will prob also space the rears to keep it flush.

[quote name='L0WBMW' date='Sep 2 2012, 06:40 PM'

Haha mate it's no fun when you're spending the money!!

I know how you feel, the touring was ment to be a cheap daily, but as usual, sh*t gets outta hand haha

Haha others don't understand is that the idea of a daily is to be cheap on fuel, doesn't mean they cant look good ;) Im with you on stuff getting blown out!

And I'm ninety percent sure they ain't genuine. Looks like these ones here,

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....1&hl=borbet

You might wanna read that thread a bit more. Those ones were replicas. Very good replicas, but replicas none the less.

You might wanna read that thread a bit more. Those ones were replicas. Very good replicas, but replicas none the less.

Correct sir! You might want to read my post again hahaha :P