Sign in to follow this  
deeveus

M5

Why takes the rego plates off a 'NZ New' car ??

Makes it look like a fresh Import - specailly when they say $350 on road costs apply ???

Why takes the rego plates off a 'NZ New' car ??

Makes it look like a fresh Import - specailly when they say $350 on road costs apply ???

True this. I thought they took them off to put their own plates on, advertising plates with their logo on.

No such thing as a cheap E60 M5.. scares me thinking about service costs to keep one of these up-to-scratch!

Gives me a mint E39 M5 any days please.

No such thing as a cheap E60 M5.. scares me thinking about service costs to keep one of these up-to-scratch!

+1

Yeah but get it checked out prior, ask for service history, and being from a dealer you have some comeback :) It is cheap if everything is up to scratch.

Depends. If you drive it like a nana and its all up to scratch and you only drive 5k a year you may be lucky. But why buy an M5 and drive it like a nana on Sundays??

I have a friend with one and he tells me its very expensive to own, it will drink a full tank of gas in one day if you drive it like he does, he tells me its up for new brake pads and disks every 6 months when it is serviced at around $3k, a new clutch every year if you use the launch control, he would not tell me the cost because his wife was at the table but im guessing say 5k if your lucky, new tyres every other week, say 4k? Service every 10,000km or six months, $800.00 at BMW for a regular service, $1,500-2k for an Inspection II with filters and all the jazz.

That does not account for the fact that at around 70,000km every bush will need replacing, control arms, engine mounts.

They are a supercar.

Guest Ari Gold

+1

E39 M5 bills are just as horrendous :rolleyes:

Depends on how you look at the comparison I suppose, the E39 is a relatively simple car that is far more resilient when driven as it was designed, service and wearing items are far cheaper, tyres, disks etc and they are far easier to work on.

The E60 is on another level performance wise and would eat an E39 but I would still take the E39, even if they were the same money, hell I would not pay 30k for an E60, we had a NZ new E60 545i FSH a few years back and even that being only a couple of years old had a fault list longer than this post and do you think ayone else other than BMW would tackle some of the more interesting codes?

20 Bimmersport dollars says the E39 and E60 will be equal $$$ in less than 10 years.

On road costs of $350 for a NZ New car??? Sounds suspicious to me - only time I have come across this is an insurance write off. And with no plates, you can't check on CarJam...

give me an E60 M5 anyday over E39, they arent THAT bad, if he goes thru a tank a day, brakes every 6 months he is either extremely hard on it or drives round town all day.... ive got a client whos done 160k one one set of brakes

Absolutely fantastic car! So so awsome, have fixed two of these in the past few weeks, both four figure bills but so awsome cars, mechanical warrenty is a must as things do go wrong but even our customers agree it's worth it in the long run.

SMG.

Throttle actuators.

Throttle position sensors.

Just like every car that has four wheels, things go wrong.

The V10 makes a noise like no other engine i've heard, in love with these cars.

When you say service cost Graham, what do you mean? Actual oil services? Cause that'll be the same as most other non M cars. Obviously brakes etc are a bit more because they need to stop 507bhp.

Add looks like the standard TM dealer cut and paste rather than an add for NZ new. Dealer mistake IMO.

Should have waited a year rather than buying a low KM e46 M3

Would be interesting to see what a non trashed servicing costs run at.

Launch controlled starts , brake pads and clutch every year ? Sounds like their money would be better spent on a 1000 cc sports bike which will take it all day !

Depends. If you drive it like a nana and its all up to scratch and you only drive 5k a year you may be lucky. But why buy an M5 and drive it like a nana on Sundays??

I have a friend with one and he tells me its very expensive to own, it will drink a full tank of gas in one day if you drive it like he does, he tells me its up for new brake pads and disks every 6 months when it is serviced at around $3k, a new clutch every year if you use the launch control, he would not tell me the cost because his wife was at the table but im guessing say 5k if your lucky, new tyres every other week, say 4k? Service every 10,000km or six months, $800.00 at BMW for a regular service, $1,500-2k for an Inspection II with filters and all the jazz.

That does not account for the fact that at around 70,000km every bush will need replacing, control arms, engine mounts.

They are a supercar.

Sounds like your friend is very hard on his gear constantly. My uncle owned one for two years and just serviced it, it was his weekend car however. He used to get about 350-400kms to a tank out of his which I thought was impressive for the performance delivered. New brake pads & disks every six months offers me the think he's pretty hard on his stuff again, is it used on the track a lot?

40,000km a year and a track day here and there.. He is hard on his car, well as hard as any real driver would be, but that's why you buy a hardcore car is it not?

Did I read that correctly above, someone is claiming they have got 160,000km out of one set of pads and disks?

E39 M5 bills are just as horrendous :rolleyes:

says who?

40,000km a year and a track day here and there.. He is hard on his car, well as hard as any real driver would be, but that's why you buy a hardcore car is it not?

Did I read that correctly above, someone is claiming they have got 160,000km out of one set of pads and disks?

Yeah see to this person a supercar isn't an every day car, to me I'd have the M5 and have a 5-10k car to bang around in daily. Not only does it save money but it makes the supercar sitting in the garage all that more fun to use on that 1-2 days per week that you actually use it. An M5 costs as much as it does to own yearly, but imagine owning a Ferrari F-430 for example and doing 40,000kms p/a

Yeah see to this person a supercar isn't an every day car, to me I'd have the M5 and have a 5-10k car to bang around in daily. Not only does it save money but it makes the supercar sitting in the garage all that more fun to use on that 1-2 days per week that you actually use it. An M5 costs as much as it does to own yearly, but imagine owning a Ferrari F-430 for example and doing 40,000kms p/a

That raises a good point. I haven't had the luxury of owning a high spec car + a daily before, and generally see cars as fast depreciating assets. I'd rather invest all available capital in the best practical car I can afford to maintain than buy a weekend racer and a daily. This way, I get the pleasure of driving it every day and don't have to maintain two cars.

Don't forget also, there's more ongoing cost to running two cars than one aside from the original purchase (rego, maintenance, space etc). Although this may be outweighed by the running costs of the 'fun' car depending what it is!

To me, an M5 can be a practical daily. It is essentially a four door luxury sedan with a big engine and performance suspension (plus lots of other bits and pieces, I know). If I had the money to both purchase and maintain one, I doubt I'd need a daily.

That raises a good point. I haven't had the luxury of owning a high spec car + a daily before, and generally see cars as fast depreciating assets. I'd rather invest all available capital in the best practical car I can afford to maintain than buy a weekend racer and a daily. This way, I get the pleasure of driving it every day and don't have to maintain two cars.

Don't forget also, there's more ongoing cost to running two cars than one aside from the original purchase (rego, maintenance, space etc). Although this may be outweighed by the running costs of the 'fun' car depending what it is!

To me, an M5 can be a practical daily. It is essentially a four door luxury sedan with a big engine and performance suspension (plus lots of other bits and pieces, I know). If I had the money to both purchase and maintain one, I doubt I'd need a daily.

Yup but in this particular case of an M5, your running costs, servicing and parts e.t.c. is going to be more than owning the two cars being a Toyboata Corolla and an M5.

+another

Would love to own one, would be happy just driving one but gotta say the rear is literally butt ugly. Saw a silver one valet parked at AKL domestic airport yesterday and the rear looks horrible - looks dated and as though a weird sport hatch had a saloon rear glued on after market.

Man this thread makes M5's looks like their as reliable as an alfa. I'm on my 2nd M5 now. Before I bought either I did a huge amount of homework into their problems and quirks. If they've had a good service history, and all recalls have been carried out, they're fine as daily drivers. I bought my current one privately, so had no CGA or dealer warranty, but found that Jerry Clayton's offer a great warranty for M Cars, which I bought, but haven't needed to claim on yet. I get about 350-400 on a tank mainly city driving, and brake components don't wear especially fast, definitely better longevity than a B7 RS4. They're excellent cars that, as any high strung perfomance cars, have the odd issue, but they're far from being 'unreliable'. Standard service at Claytons for this is $699, would prob be cheaper at places like BMWorkshop.

Edited by Gobby

Was not implying they are unreliable, I was saying that if driven as intended they are costly to maintain.

It may be just me but I don't see the point in buying an M5 and driving it slow, you buy a 550i for doing that, just as I cant see any sense in buying an M5 and only driving it on weekends, you buy a Z4 for that, its designed to be an all rounder that has high performance when needed.

Should state that this is from a personal stand point and comes from someone who takes a very practical look at machinery and drives his cars very hard, I will wear out a set of tyres in 10,000km where another bloke will get 40,000km out of them. I would kill an old E60 M5 in about a week where a E39 may take a me a bit longer.

I would kill an old E60 M5 in about a week where a E39 may take a me a bit longer.

Bloody hell. That's almost signature-worthy..!