Sign in to follow this  
tracka74

X5 E53 Transmission Replacement

Hi there,

I'm a new member and have just bought an X5 2003 4.4i and the fault code was showing when I took it in for service to the BM Workshop in Grey Lynn. I was quoted around $5k for a replacement. Has anyone had one fitted recently and how much and where did you get it done? I also need new rotors but he was quoting silly money.

I had a 2004 GTB wagon before this but it got pinched and so I bought the Bmer as I got a job with fuel paid. Totally different cars but its pretty sweet. Fair bit of torque.

Cheers to all. Any help is appreciated.

Hi there,

I'm a new member and have just bought an X5 2003 4.4i and the fault code was showing when I took it in for service to the BM Workshop in Grey Lynn. I was quoted around $5k for a replacement. Has anyone had one fitted recently and how much and where did you get it done? I also need new rotors but he was quoting silly money.

I had a 2004 GTB wagon before this but it got pinched and so I bought the Bmer as I got a job with fuel paid. Totally different cars but its pretty sweet. Fair bit of torque.

Cheers to all. Any help is appreciated.

Hi and welcome, 5k seems a good price to replace the transmission. new ones from BMW are well priced but still not under 7k.

dont go cheap on brake discs, they need decent brakes!

Maybe you should have some done research on how much these things cost to maintain. Just because it cost 25k now doesn't mean the rotors is going cost the same as your Gt.

My old '05 Diesel X5 had disks/pads done at 80kms it costs normally about $2500, but was done under Premium BMW Warranty. My old 06 ML 320 CDI was 3200 at the dealer, 2200 at the aftermarket place dudes.

My old '05 Diesel X5 had disks/pads done at 80kms it costs normally about $2500, but was done under Premium BMW Warranty. My old 06 ML 320 CDI was 3200 at the dealer, 2200 at the aftermarket place dudes.

Nice one Diesel Guy. Cheers mate.

Hi and welcome, 5k seems a good price to replace the transmission. new ones from BMW are well priced but still not under 7k.

dont go cheap on brake discs, they need decent brakes!

Ok -nice one cheers for the advice mate.

is anyone else shocked that a 2003 car requires a $5k transmission transplant ??

not to mention $2.5k in rotor's?

man i'm glad I didn't buy the X5 4.8is I was looking at a few years ago.

is anyone else shocked that a 2003 car requires a $5k transmission transplant ??

not to mention $2.5k in rotor's?

man i'm glad I didn't buy the X5 4.8is I was looking at a few years ago.

these things happen...how much would you pay in Rotors for the M5 idf you use 1) genuine bmw ,or 2)oem

dunno about through the BMW dealer.

I replaced my M5 ones with Zimmerman slotted rotors whom produce the rotors for BMW anyway. $1500. ex germany.

I paid about $4k for the 365mm 8 piston BBK kit on my racecar.

I realise they are braking a 2 ton SUV but $2.5k for rotors? Man. That's steep.

dunno about through the BMW dealer.

I replaced my M5 ones with Zimmerman slotted rotors whom produce the rotors for BMW anyway. $1500. ex germany.

I paid about $4k for the 365mm 8 piston BBK kit on my racecar.

I realise they are braking a 2 ton SUV but $2.5k for rotors? Man. That's steep.

2.5k for rotor and pads,i bet you wouldnt get much change from that if you went to a dealer for your M5

probably.

But why does a '03 need a new tranny? and why is that normal?

How many k's are on the car?

It's a nine year old car Darren... not out of the ordinary for alot of cars... not just BMW... and sometimes not milage dependant either

I had a less than 3 year old corolla with 120K on it require a manual trans repair, after the synchro on 3rd disappeared. It jumped out of third for the first couple of hundred KMs from new, but Toyota claimed it was unrelated.

Of course, being a lease car, they didn't do the clutch when the trans was done, so 10,000 kms later, it was back in for a clutch! Typical lease company... "well serviced" Uh huh!

probably.

i would hope that that sort of thing is not "normal" but it happens....a mate of mine had a 535is just like mine.He had to rebuild the gearbox in his.had fewer miles than mine

well my 10 year old gearbox feels as fresh as the day it came out of the factory.

Yours is a manual, cant really compare.

its fairly common for E53's to need new transmissions these days..

and 2.5k for front brakes doesnt sound right... Sounds too steep to me.

Where are the prices from?

when i had the e53, i was told by a reputable service service to expect bills like that, esp going oem/original. i'm sure you're able to get away with cheaper alternatives...

Yours is a manual, cant really compare.

its fairly common for E53's to need new transmissions these days..

and 2.5k for front brakes doesnt sound right... Sounds too steep to me.

Where are the prices from?

i think that is rotors and pads all round

well my 10 year old gearbox feels as fresh as the day it came out of the factory.

good but somone somewhere is rebuilding their e39 m5 traans right now

I get new genuine bmw parts from Germany off the internet. normally about 1/3 the price of BMW NZ delivered in about a week or so...

eg. X5 front pads from BMW NZ $307

from below, 74euro (about $116nzd)

https://eshop.original-teile.de/

it pays to think about what else you may need and get it all together and save on shipping cost.. (which can get up there on heavier items)

these guys are very reliable, and I've had no problem with them.. and they use Paypal which is safe..

I get new genuine bmw parts from Germany off the internet. normally about 1/3 the price of BMW NZ delivered in about a week or so...

eg. X5 front pads from BMW NZ $307

from below, 74euro (about $116nzd)

https://eshop.original-teile.de/

it pays to think about what else you may need and get it all together and save on shipping cost.. (which can get up there on heavier items)

these guys are very reliable, and I've had no problem with them.. and they use Paypal which is safe..

Cheers mate thats a great help. Ive got a cou[le of connections fro freight so I will suss this site out. Nice one!

I don't really see how they justify those prices to be honest, it's not like it's 4 times the size in any way, shape, or form. Someone's making a creaming on parts thats for sure.

I don't really see how they justify those prices to be honest, it's not like it's 4 times the size in any way, shape, or form. Someone's making a creaming on parts thats for sure.

Here we go again.

The "creaming" someone is making on the parts goes towards making the business somewhat profitable(i mean the New Zealand end of the business).Overheads in a modern BMW or VW dealer on high street would be high.Try pricing some compatible parts at a Honda Toyota(or even lexus) dealer .Its the price of playin,and there are alternatives these days.

Just sayin

Hi there,

Did the workshop tell you why it needs a new transmission?

What are the problems you have encountered when driving?