Sign in to follow this  
Nobimmer

Opinions please

Long story short. I sold my daihstsu bush truck to a guy about 4 months ago. He still hasn't taken ownership of the car and even though I have done my side of the ownership stuff I am still getting letters for the rego and carjam says I still own it. I have his address and name but can't get a hold of him. The rego is now two month overdue.

I have a receipt saying he bought it off me etc but I have been thru this before and lost and had to pay a huge amount in fines.

Can I go to the post shop and dereg the car? I still have one of the plates oddly enough ( it was a bush truck and the front one got mangled). I feel a bit guilty doing it but I really don't wanna pay the fines and go thru it all again.

Would appreciate any input.

isn't there a form you fill out when you sell the car? It goes to the post shop then you have no further legal liability.

I thought that's how it worked....(then again I haven't sold a car in awhile)

Yeah, when you fill out that "disposing/selling of a motor vehicle form" you write down your address and the new owners contact details so they get reminder notices to say they need to pay the change of ownership and rego etc.

You can do this online if you have the guys name and address... NZTA

Happened to a mate a last year. Not really a big issue, if you give NZTA a call and let them know what happened, as long as they received your part they will transfer the ownership of the car to "unkown". They will also send you out a letter so that you are sorted for future reference. That is if they haven't changed their process...

Hmm must be a balls up in the system cos I've already done that side of it. Will ring today and find out

If you filled out the disposal form and whatnot you should be in the clear. Probably just a stuff up somewhere.

On the flip side of that, I got a letter from LTSA saying I was the owner of a Ford Courier Ute based in Auckland !

I am in Timaru, and have never owned a Ute !

I had to go to the courthouse and get a declaration signed to get LTSA off my back !

So much for innocent until proven guilty ! :ph34r:

Hmm must be a balls up in the system cos I've already done that side of it. Will ring today and find out

your not alone, i sold my M318i to a crowd in Akaroa, did all my part and so fourth, but still kept receiving letters and eventually got listed with ECC (basically the same as Baycorp everyones heard of). Have only just sorted it out now, i think..... if its not sorted ill just get a set of europlates with the combination on them and hand those in to the AA instead, like you suggest, thats not a bad idea.

I guess why bother with rego when you live in Akaroa lol

Parents have been messed around like this before except it was over TradeMe.

Guy won the auction and came to pick the car up but wouldn't do change of ownership that day. My dad said he couldn't take the car unless he did (didn't want to get stuck in a situation of paying a speeding ticket) but the guy threatened with action saying the auction was legally binding so he could buy the car regardless.

I now make sure it is a condition of sale to change ownership on purchase.

Take it into NZTA they should be able to sort it but legally you're still responsible for the car I believe.

Edited by kevinator9

Simple (hindsight now tho') Do NOT let a car go without seeing the reciept saying it's been transferred out of your name.

Also, for others who find themselves in a similar situation, you can't de-register the car, the other person has legally bought it off you and you will drop yourself into a world of poo. Doing repo' work gives one an insight into the whole "ownership of property" thing.

i always make them do it online right there and then before they drive it away.

then its done.

just have a visa card handy for the $9 transfer fee

have had this problem once before with a car i sold a few years back so i just dereged it.

gave him plenty of notice before doing it.

said plates where wrecked with the car