Sign in to follow this  
scottharvey

somebody help!

Today out of randomness when i was in the kfc drive thru waiting my cars temperature gauge went up alot almost to red if i was waiting 2 mins more it would of fried.

So i pulled over turned it off and checked my oil and water and they were both fine.

I let it cool down after starting it again and i noticed my fan is going quite slow on idle but as car then moves or the revs get put up to about 1500rpm the temp gauge goes down again.

Any reason for this need some help??

Most likely need a new viscous hub on the fan.

Today out of randomness when i was in the kfc drive thru waiting my cars temperature gauge went up alot almost to red if i was waiting 2 mins more it would of fried.

So i pulled over turned it off and checked my oil and water and they were both fine.

I let it cool down after starting it again and i noticed my fan is going quite slow on idle but as car then moves or the revs get put up to about 1500rpm the temp gauge goes down again.

Any reason for this need some help??

the bold part does sound normal, its loose while the engine is col to allow the engine to heat up, but when the car is warm it should be very stiff/damn near impossible to move (when engine is just turned off)

does sound like the viscous hub though. will be this or the water pump.

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

viscous fan clutch

Have you got one brent?? And maybe you could have a look to see if the fan is running slow or normal i wouldnt know as i just noticed it?

the bold part does sound normal, its loose while the engine is col to allow the engine to heat up, but when the car is warm it should be very stiff/damn near impossible to move (when engine is just turned off)

does sound like the viscous hub though. will be this or the water pump.

is it a big job changing the viscious hub?

Have you got one brent?? And maybe you could have a look to see if the fan is running slow or normal i wouldnt know as i just noticed it?

yes and yes

just call me

is it a big job changing the viscious hub?

its simple, but easy might not be the right word. Its reverse threaded (so righty-loosey lefty-tighty) and a large spanner size i think 32mm. can be a real PITA to crack from the water pump. May like to take the fan itself off the hub too, i dont usually bother though

i was thinking about just removing the thermostat and just running the car cold is that good or a bad idea?

Bad idea

Here's how you test the fan, Don't blame me if you lose your fingers.