Sign in to follow this  
deeveus

I accidentally a Ford ute

Been driving them all!

Last weekend I had the VW Amarok, then for a few nights I had the Ford Ranger, I drove the Holden ute and it was terrible, the new BT-50 looks like a failure IMO. Drove the Isuzu and it felt a bit agricultural.

So I've ordered the new Wildtrak, even though the Amarok was a better ute, the Amarok is so refined and that twin turbo engine is nothing short of brilliant, so quiet and power everywhere in the rev range even tho it had only done 200kms when I picked it up. The reason I didn't go with it was because with all the toys they are 70k + the Ranger has reversing camera, bluetooth, navigation, heated leather seats, roll over cover on rear and they look the part. The 5 cyclinder donk sounds brilliant.

post-2864-1348730737.jpg

post-2864-1348730747.jpg

The 5 cyclinder donk sounds brilliant.

is that what it is. my neighbours one sounds odd but didnt really think much of it

is that what it is. my neighbours one sounds odd but didnt really think much of it

They kinda sound like an Audi 5 cyclinder.

My assumption is something like this, with canopy, would piss all over a X5 or similar for practicality as, for want of a better term, a family car.

Is that fair?

I didn't realise just how aesthetically similar they were - all the body lines, lights etc are much of a muchness!

My assumption is something like this, with canopy, would piss all over a X5 or similar for practicality as, for want of a better term, a family car.

Is that fair?

Around town no, they are quite a big unit, long especially. Can't fit a canopy on the wildtrak, the bars are in the way, but the rear tray with rolling cover make for a fkn massive boot.

Is that fair?

no its not...the driving experience in those utes is just awful.I dontknow what the steering circle of a x 5 is but those utes cant do a u turn in a normal street

Edited by kiwi535

Have not driven one so don't know what they are like, from all accounts I have heard the Mazda/Ford utes are a nice drive, but not sure what that is based on.. I have followed one through some coromandel roads and its safe to say some "performance" cars would not get past one.

Well done on the new ute, I sometimes dream that I would need one and think about what one I would buy, the Nissan with the 550nm engine would be nice.

but those utes cant do a u turn in a normal street

Yeh you can - kerb humping. That's what utes are for when used in town

no its not...the driving experience in those utes is just awful.I dontknow what the steering circle of a x 5 is but those utes cant do a u turn in a normal street

It's probably cheaper to fix!

and would you feel bad filling an X5 up with fishing gear and dirty boots and other sh*t? and you wouldn't get any odors from what's in the back having a real ute.

90% of it's time will be on the open road and or towing or finding a fishing spot. My 320d will be used for work and city dwelling. But yeah the turning circle is that of Jupiter, they're terrible.

Here's some pics..

Looks very nice, I see more and more of those VW utes here in Auckland being driven by people who might drive them over some leaves in winter...

There is a ute they have in the US, the Toyota Tundra or something it is a Landcruiser turned into a pickup with a 5.7L V8 :o

Yeah, cause the driving experience of the e39 is in another league.

Besides, I'm about 99% open road so the odd 3/4 point turn hardly bothers me.

Also, lording it over the Remmers tractors has appeal ha.

Have not driven one so don't know what they are like, from all accounts I have heard the Mazda/Ford utes are a nice drive, but not sure what that is based on.. I have followed one through some coromandel roads and its safe to say some "performance" cars would not get past one.

Well done on the new ute, I sometimes dream that I would need one and think about what one I would buy, the Nissan with the 550nm engine would be nice.

i drive a current model ford ranger regularly,and compared with either my old 535 or 120 they are awful.Theyare fine if you dont mind vague steering ,no traction,lots of noise.If you want a trucjk fine if you are trying to compare them in any way to an x5 dont bother

i drive a current model ford ranger regularly,and compared with either my old 535 or 120 they are awful.Theyare fine if you dont mind vague steering ,no traction,lots of noise.If you want a trucjk fine if you are trying to compare them in any way to an x5 dont bother

Yeah but you can't compare them to a 535i or 120d, they are totally different kettle of fish. Vague steering? They're massive & they aren't a sports car, but IMHO they are the best ute on the market when you take into account price and features & comparing them to other "utes"

Today I bought 250m of 4x2, and I'm always picking something up and or dropping it off. Having a ute of this calibre will eliminate the requirement of having to have a trailer when carrying smaller loads, cause lets face it those of us who have trailers find it a pain in the ass having to hook them up, drive with them on especially when you are doing other things on that trip at the same time!

Looks very nice, I see more and more of those VW utes here in Auckland being driven by people who might drive them over some leaves in winter...

There is a ute they have in the US, the Toyota Tundra or something it is a Landcruiser turned into a pickup with a 5.7L V8 :o

Those things are hideous IMO and I've seen a few of them in NZ, they're a waste of space. Massive petrol engine, massive car, epicly gutless, colossal MPG.

Edited by The Diesel Guy

yeah Diesel in the USA is like up to 3x more expensive supposedly. hence why big pos petrol engines are still popular.

The Rangers seem to be very popular at the moment with many people moving away from Hiluxs with the D4D issues.

I drove a new Ssangyong Actyon ute recently and was very impressed, a nice package and very good value

The Rangers seem to be very popular at the moment with many people moving away from Hiluxs with the D4D issues.

True! They've got quite a reputation for being crap... although some people seem to swear by them still. besides the D4D issues, there's the clutches too. Plus Toyota try to to the bare minimum to keep the things moving, not fix them properly.

I have a neighbour who gets a new Ranger/BT-50 every 3 years, along with a new XR8 for his mrs. The things get a good caning in his hands (even when cold) and he's had no problems with the utes (Smae can't be said for the Falcons - the last one left home twice on a truck :lol: )

If you use the ute for what it's designed, and are aware of their limits, they're an awesome truck. I'm trying to get our work van replaced by a ute with a box body on the back (we need 4wd, and the chemicals are rotting out the 5 year old Hiace!).

That 5 cylinder goes like a proper diesel should. I understand it is a proper Euro diesel, not a nasty jap one.