Sign in to follow this  
Andre3000

Who retails VDO gauges in NZ?

I've been looking at getting a trio of VDO gauges for my e30, but can't seem to find any NZ suppliers.

Does anyone know of a retailer in NZ, hopefully Auckland?

Otherwise http://www.egauges.com/ seems to be the place to go for them.

theres a crowd in seaview i drive past every day, i cant remember the name but has VDO on a massive sign out the front. Just google mapped it, looks like they are called Shardlow Electrical. Plug this into google maps -41.23351,174.903647

i got some vdo vision gauges for my car, bought them in nz from somewhere but have forgotten the name. but def can get in nz.

Any auto sparky will be able to source for you.

Am wanting to replace my e30 gauge cluster as im over the forever breaking stock gauges.

Would be interested to see / hear about some of your guys configs ?

Haha, I was just about to get the link for http://www.egauges.com/ when I saw your thread title.

I got a VDO kit for my car, worked out about 40 bucks cheaper importing rather than buying locally!

That $40 would have been the profit the local business needed to pay staff and rent for that hour! Nice saving!

That $40 would have been the profit the local business needed to pay staff and rent for that hour! Nice saving!

Well if they weren't so greedy with high profit margins I'd be buying locally. Their loss.

I buy almost everything from overseas, the range of products is more diverse and price more competitively.. plus its all done online with the click of a few buttons - that alone beats going all the way to a busy store!

Tbh I don't find a saving of $40 to be enough to shop overseas.

Unless I'm saving hundreds buying overseas I will buy locally.

It's still $40 to save...

Granted everything can't be bought for better prices overseas, heavy suspension parts need to be purchased locally or else the shipping costs counter any savings.

But take this for a set of brake pads, I rang around a few local stores and I was looking at $250 NZD for a pair of front pads! I was able to get the same thing from California for $160 NZD delivered at my door in 36 hours...

Am wanting to replace my e30 gauge cluster as im over the forever breaking stock gauges.

Would be interested to see / hear about some of your guys configs ?

I'm gonna use this mounting bracket that replaces the ashtray. It comes in oem vinyl leather, so coupled with the vdo gauges will look every bit original.

http://www.parkerperformance.com/store_pro...p?item=M000113L

oil press, oil temp, water temp. If you wanna spend a bit more you can get gauges that feature a low pressure warning.

Will post pictures once I've got mine in.

Nice ...

Off Topic: I was thinking of going to an e36 m3 cluster conversion as an option.

Would require a couple of wiring and cluster plug changes obviously, but nothing thats really scary.

Is it easy to fit physically?

Bit of modification needed, but nothing thats too hard to do. Will look good too.

+1

It's still $40 to save...

Granted everything can't be bought for better prices overseas, heavy suspension parts need to be purchased locally or else the shipping costs counter any savings.

But take this for a set of brake pads, I rang around a few local stores and I was looking at $250 NZD for a pair of front pads! I was able to get the same thing from California for $160 NZD delivered at my door in 36 hours...

I hope you arent one of those wanking on to the John Key and anyone else who will listen asking about where the jobs are.

+1

I hope you arent one of those wanking on to the John Key and anyone else who will listen asking about where the jobs are.

I don't complain, I just look for the best deal and variety of quality parts for my car, it just so happens most stuff I want is available overseas at better prices.... Seems fair enough to me.

Granted that if I was a company buying $100,000+ of product internationally instead of locally thats another matter, the reality is I'm just a humble person spending a few drips and drabs here on one car.

It's not like I outsourced dozens of local locomotive engineering jobs to China for cheaper flat bed carriages to be made!

:rolleyes: