Sign in to follow this  
NZ BMW

VW VR6

My little sister is looking at one.

1997, has done about 130,000kms - seems to drive fine and has the usual sagging head liner and the seal at the lower end of the windscreen is perished.

Japanese import, in NZ since 2007.

Any comments on:

Pricing?

Reliability? (I know, depends on how car was taken care of )

Common problems? (Heater core seems to be a biggie)

Cheers,

Nathan.

I've mostly heard negative things about them.

They seem good on paper but just aren't worth the hassle these days.

The auto versions are are dogs breakfast, so obviously they are one to avoid, the manuals, better, but if you want a cylinder manual 6, why not suggest a tidy 325i or 328i.

Or, if she still wants a golf, just get her to get a 16v 4 cylinder manual GTI in that late 90s era, MUCH better!

It's an auto, I'm inclined to agree that a 1.8 or. 2L would be better, however this is the one she is keen on and I can only offer my advice. I've been pushing the Toyota/Honda route personally, but they feel too "tinny".

I need to send this one in for a mechanical inspection and see if it throws up any major red flags.

It's an auto, I'm inclined to agree that a 1.8 or. 2L would be better, however this is the one she is keen on and I can only offer my advice. I've been pushing the Toyota/Honda route personally, but they feel too "tinny".

I need to send this one in for a mechanical inspection and see if it throws up any major red flags.

The Autos are a weak spot - manuals are nice :-) Even in the 4 cyls, the auto aren't amazing, but are OK. MK3 golfs are similar technology to E30s. Godd solid cars though, just get a 4cyl, or a manual.

I had an NZ new manual VR6 for around 5 years.

They are heavy in the front end and push a bit in corners (the chassis was designed for a 4cyl), and they aren't a fast car. Engine is a bit lazy - 2.8l for 127 kW, and not particularly keen to rev. They use a cam chain not a belt, so are a little noisier at idle. The unreliable bits I found were the window regulators & engine / trans mounts (which were a pig to change) - I don't remember anything else really aggravating me on that front (although it was a while back). The previous owner of mine did split an oil cooler - not sure how common that is though.

They do like to drink too - the absolute best I ever saw was 7.4l/100 km on the open road on one particular trip, with more typical open road performance of 9l/100 km, and 14 around town... Moving to my 330ci with auto, an extra 50kW, extra weight etc was refreshingly economical...

From memory the auto trans is a real weak spot on them, and I did test drive a couple of early ones (1993's) which both had ABS problems. I would be going for a 4cyl GTi manual if I was you - they are a much better balanced car. Overall, the Mk3 golfs are a good car, but not that big.

Thanks for the advice guys, it needs to be an auto and she is keen on this one in particular as it will do a lot of open road driving. Personally I would prob go for the 2L or the 1.8 as well.

One thing that did worry me was when started the idle would rise (like when any car starts) then dip under the resting idle before settling. It was not hunting like some cars with a busted MAF or throttle body will do but just seemed weird as it was quite pronounced.??

If she decides to take it further it will likely go in next week to be inspected prior to purchase.

Yeah mine used to do that too. Mine was never severe enough to warrant me spending lots of time or money fixing it. Could be the EGR or MAF - unfortunately they don't have great diagnostics....

all vw and audi have pretty bad gearboxes auto and manuals.

e36 328i would be a better bet .

or make a 328Ti if you want a smaller car

Well, just to update this thread the car when in for an inspection and there were some items which needed fixing. Most of it was really just a need of a good service as the oil change interval had been exceeded by about 2000kms.

It did however need:

Front strut mounts

New HT leads

Oil cooler leak

Minor VCG oil leak

Front pads

On top of this we've given the engine an oil and filter change, new plugs, air filter, front brake job, transmission filter and fluid.

Nice thing was that we were able to negotiate a reduction in price.

BTW does anyone know a decent VW forum? I joined VWforums.org but there does not seem to be much activity.

im guessing searching for a Vag forum comes up with all sorts of interesting hits?

try VWVortex, im not a member etc, but it seems to be mentioned a lot on bimmerfest (my other main forum not bimmersport), a lot of those guys daily VWs so gets mentioned a lot.

im guessing searching for a Vag forum comes up with all sorts of interesting hits?

try VWVortex, im not a member etc, but it seems to be mentioned a lot on bimmerfest (my other main forum not bimmersport), a lot of those guys daily VWs so gets mentioned a lot.

Haha, joined VWVortex - I'm also over on Bimmerfest but obviously in the E39 forum, where the E39 is the only car that is any good and anyone who posts otherwise needs to STFU lol. So I've not seen VWVortex mentioned.

I'm interested to see how this car goes - there seem to be so many Golfs of both the MK3 and MK4 model around Auckland and there seems to be ample supplies of second hand parts if needed.

I'm giving it a good clean on Saturday morning before finally dropping it off.

Haha, joined VWVortex - I'm also over on Bimmerfest but obviously in the E39 forum, where the E39 is the only car that is any good and anyone who posts otherwise needs to STFU lol. So I've not seen VWVortex mentioned.

I'm interested to see how this car goes - there seem to be so many Golfs of both the MK3 and MK4 model around Auckland and there seems to be ample supplies of second hand parts if needed.

I'm giving it a good clean on Saturday morning before finally dropping it off.

the E34 section is very much the same as the E39 section then. The E30 section is very laid back though, and there is our own off topic thread. I go into the E36 and E46 sections from time to time, but thats it. i dont generally do the global stuff like on bimmersport, they are thousands of posts a day there. reading the political section is often a laugh though, americans thinking they actually have a choice of outcomes depending whichever way they vote is priceless

the E34 section is very much the same as the E39 section then. The E30 section is very laid back though, and there is our own off topic thread. I go into the E36 and E46 sections from time to time, but thats it. i dont generally do the global stuff like on bimmersport, they are thousands of posts a day there. reading the political section is often a laugh though, americans thinking they actually have a choice of outcomes depending whichever way they vote is priceless

Let me guess, the E34 is the last of the BMW's before everything went too electrical and was too difficult to DIY? Because that's what everyone in the E39 forum says about the E60/61.

Let me guess, the E34 is the last of the BMW's before everything went too electrical and was too difficult to DIY? Because that's what everyone in the E39 forum says about the E60/61.

You got it pal! except its true for the E34 ;)

I had a VR6, don't do it.

Unless you want to take the entire dash out and replace the heater core (I had to do this) and then replace every plastic coolant pipe and the thermostat housing etc until you find that you are not losing coolant..

I liked VW's until i had this car, actually, i'd still like a mk1 or mk2 GTi again (used to have a Mk2 GTI, loved that car).

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Edited by Charles32

Bit late for that, it's already been purchased.

Doing some reading on common problems they don't seem to be any worse than a 3 series and a lot cheaper to buy.

BTW does anyone have a good source of new parts for them here in NZ?

Edited by NZ BMW

Bit late for that, it's already been purchased.

Doing some reading on common problems they don't seem to be any worse than a 3 series and a lot cheaper to buy.

BTW does anyone have a good source of new parts for them here in NZ?

I imported mine from autohausaz.com as locally they were $$$ from Miles Continental.

In a way the worse thing about ours was the auto tranny, it had been recond before we got the car, but annoyingly no one had ever changed the diff oil (the auto tranny had separate diff oil to the auto tranny oil) the diff got quite noisy and was full of metal shavings once I worked it out, the car only had 120,000k on the clock, the engine ran well and it was a nice car on a trip.

But ours was off the road more then it was on the road sadly, my partner got annoyed and we sold it, ironically the Merc 190E we replaced it with has been perfect, but on paper they are probably worse.

Diff noise