Sign in to follow this  
FIAT 131R

BMW Engine numbers

With E46 S54 engines how do I get information about the engine history, date of manufacture etc using only the engine number. I have spent many hours trying to track down some method to do this all to no avail. There are heaps of sites which purport to provide information using engine numbers but they are all fcuking useless.

Your best bet is probably to nicely ask someone who works for BMW B) ?

I am curious to know why you need to know when an engine is made? With modern Just-in-Time manufacturing, it can't be far off from the car's manufacture's date?

Engine is out of the car, only ID to go by is engine number.

Would like to know the general condition of engine before pulling it to bits, just in case it doesn't need it to save time and money.

Simples.

Unless you know the dealer that serviced it I think youll be hard pressed to find out.

Easiest way is to check the condition of the oil and the top and bottom.

Pull the sump and have a look whats going on with the oil in the pan and will give you a chance to check the bottom end and bores. Also anything strange going on with the timing chain / sproket and reverse thread jesus nut on the sproket.

Will only cost you a sump gasket and some time.

They had a recall too though, right?

Correct.

I don't suppose it ever dawned on you that the car might not be with the engine. Just in time thinking before posting is as important as just in time manufacturing.

I am curious to know why you need to know when an engine is made? With modern Just-in-Time manufacturing, it can't be far off from the car's manufacture's date?

BMW does not track history, including build history by engine numbers, only chassis numbers. Service history can only be checked either by using owners name, rego or chassis numbers at the appropriate dealers where it has been serviced and you would need to get the owners permission to get copies of the service history. The dealer will quote "Privacy Issues". Dealers do not swap or have access to each others service files. Factory recalls or warranty repairs would be tracked by owners name, rego & chassis numbers through the servicing dealer & BMW NZ.

Edited by *Glenn*

The great thing about databases and computer systems is that all the information is in there - it's just a case of knowing where to look and how to find it.

It's quite amazing the amount of info that can be stored and tracked, especially with the newer vehicles. Latest developments are in the field of doing it wirelessly - drive past your local BMW dealer and the car will "talk" to the servicing computers and it will work out if it needs a service or got a problem!! Big brother stuff??