Sign in to follow this  
liyi_92

E39 Lift off foot after acceleration

There is a strange way my 540i is behaving.

When say I need to over taking someone, I pust my foot down.

Then this happens in order:

1) RPM springs up and get power and yay

2) I lift foot off (stop accelerating) and RPM still seems to hang for a while around 5k then coming down extremely slowly

3) Car feels like its powerless while the RPM is coming down slowly

4) Car feels like its in the wrong gear

5) I need to either hit the brakes to slow down a bit in which the RPM will drop quicker and then the auto will suddenly switch gear (up).

6) I have to rev it until it switches up but in which when I lift off my foot the same thing will happen from step 2).

Haven't driven any cars which does this.

Anyone shed any light? Thanks

Edited by andy_e39

Are you using the kick down function? pushing your foot down far/hard enough activates the kick down button. My 540i does this as well.

you mean it's just holding the gear? wouldn't that be normal in case you need to overtake again?

My mates 540i does it a bit too - I think it's so it doesn't feel like the auto from a Nissan Pulsar that lurches and clangs from gear to gear just because you eased of the gas a bit. If you want to accelerate again, it's still in the correct gear, instead of having to reshuffle everything again.

No, this is when I am not even using the kickdown function yet. What I mean is that it seems to hang for a longer time then I would think it should. During the time the RPM is hanging there, car feels gutless. =S Also I think it may have something to do with the slight whinning sound from transmission. Hope its not more $$$

Edit: Or something to do with the fact that there is a small misfire problem =S

Edited by andy_e39

can you make a video and post to youtube?

Will try get a video this week. Also just wondering how would a partially clogged fuel filter act? After service was done yesterday the mechanic told me he thinks the fuel filter on the car has never been changed during my car's lifetime which means 14 years now.

A video won't help. Might be cool to listen to or watch. What are the drive system fault codes ( from a proper scanner done by someone with a brain) DME, EGS, ABS & ASC /DSC needs to be scanned before you go any further or you are just wasting money & time

Have you had the auto fluid changed? Or has it been done previous?

The "correct" fluid is REALLY expensive, but it does last a long time.

The "correct" filter (genuine BMW ONLY, if it were me!) isn't too bad, but I can't recall the price... maybe 100 to 120?? - Apparently an incorrect filter can cause whines and issues if it clogs.

Perhaps it's worth having it serviced with the "correct" stuff, might help, but certainly good for peice of mind. A poked 540i trans is probably an expensive propostion to fix.....

Your power issue could actually be an engine fault, which could be quite simple. Like Glenn says - if you have it scanned, it may show some intermittant faults. The reason he suggested someone with a brain, is that a lot of people see the say says a particular part has "failed" or is "out of range" and replace that part, when it can very easily (and often is) something else in the system and the fault is noticed by the sensor mentioned.

You're not alone in buying a car and then spending buttloads on it! I'm quite pedantic, but luckily haven't had any failures or breakdowns, but a few bits that were part worn or just tired (mostly suspension) and I always do stuff in sets (I can't be arsed doing jobs twice!). Any E39 I buy (or a mate buys) I'd say allow minimum $1500 to make things right, but easily more - $3K wouldn't be unreasonable - even a car with a "full service history" will have only had done what the owner wanted done. BMW full history does NOT gaurantee a perfectly maintained car.

I've probably spent $2500 on replacement suspension parts, but the car is super tight and smooth now B)

Does it thump gears when the RPM drops? Does it happen from 3rd to 2nd

Does this happen on a down hill gradiant?

Get it scanned as other have said but I think youll find nothing will come up.

In my circumstance I had the whole gearbox over hauled / fluids and filter changed and it turned out to be a worn valve guide caused by the piston.

It was a very expensive lesson that not all gearbox shops know what they are doing and unfortunately I was their pay-to-learn guinea pig.

Does it thump gears when the RPM drops? Does it happen from 3rd to 2nd

Does this happen on a down hill gradiant?

Get it scanned as other have said but I think youll find nothing will come up.

In my circumstance I had the whole gearbox over hauled / fluids and filter changed and it turned out to be a worn valve guide caused by the piston.

It was a very expensive lesson that not all gearbox shops know what they are doing and unfortunately I was their pay-to-learn guinea pig.

Not sure by what you mean by "thump gears". If you mean shift down hard like jolting the car then I would say not really.

I guess I will change out the fluids and filter first to see what I get. But that will be after replacing a cracked power steering belt, which will be after testing for leaking injector and changing fuel filter. <_<