Sign in to follow this  
five_seriesmsport

99 540i V8 4.4 engine oil leak

hi all, i have just had the front crankshaft seal done which was leaking oil and still have a leak from somewhere else. I have done the vanos seals which were leaking also. I had a look under the car and oil is dripping of the two oil cooler hoses, i have checked the valve cover gaskets and they are fine.The oil is dripping from the top of the motor somewhere and is making its way down onto the hoses, it looks to be coming from around the area where the aluminium pipe goes into the cylinder block area.This is the left side of engine sitting in vehicle for example, has anyone had an oil leak like this or has any idea where else it maybe coming from as this is really fustrating. thankyou

Edited by veeeightbeemer

Hope someone can shine some light on this! E349 540i oil leaks are driving me nuts!

You sure it's not from the power steering? VERY common!

As above, id double check by smelling/looking in detail at the oil leak where you describe, sounds alot like power steering fluid leakage.

Timing chain covers are also prone to leaking. Clean off thoroughly first and recheck

I removed the original clamps fro the power steering hoses and put some screw up clamps on the hoses and both are completely dry. I was onto that as soon as we got the car. If you lye under the car you can see engine oil sitting around the area I explained and the oil runs down the engine and drips off the oil cooler hoses. I dont want to start pulling it to bits until I can get some idea whats leaking and where. Maybe just a silly little oring or something who knows. I will clean engine down again on the weekend if the weather is any good :angry: and have another look after running the engine. When the car sits for a couple of days it will leave a patch of oil the size of a saucer as an indication. Thanks again for any info :)

Edited by veeeightbeemer

Report back on your find veeightbeemer, I know for me it wasn't the PS fluid although it seems to be a pretty common thing

I have finally raised the car and sprayed under the engine and waterblasted all of the oil of the motor, I have kept an eye on the driveway where the car has been parked and guess what, NO MORE OIL LEAKS :D The oil that was leaking out of the front crankshaft seal had made its way all over the engine. After I had the seal done, there must have been excess oil still on the motor and was still dripping of the motor and has gradually dried up, after washing the motor it has cleaned it all away. So pleased as i can now put the cover back under the engine to make the car complete again. :)

Edited by veeeightbeemer

I have finally raised the car and sprayed under the engine and waterblasted all of the oil of the motor, I have kept an eye on the driveway where the car has been parked and guess what, NO MORE OIL LEAKS :D The oil that was leaking out of the front crankshaft seal had made its way all over the engine. After I had the seal done, there must have been excess oil still on the motor and was still dripping of the motor and has gradually dried up, after washing the motor it has cleaned it all away. So pleased as i can now put the cover back under the engine to make the car complete again. :)

Nice work. I've gone through similar with my 528i over the last six months gradually eradicating all oil leaks. Mine sprung from oil filter housing, rocker cover gasket, oil sensor seal and a little o-ring around the dipstick I only noticed the other day. It's a bloody relief to find them all and it'll make it heaps easier to find the next one when it starts!!

On to the next infuriating problem.