Sign in to follow this  
deeveus

Remap my 320d

Haha, it won't go bang, it'll love every horsepower gained.

How far different are these old engines compared to the F/L E46 and E90's Greg?

E90 320d are insanely good for a heavy car and small engine, they have the N47b20 engine so the technology between the two are chalk and cheese.

How far different are these old engines compared to the F/L E46 and E90's Greg?

The big leap ahead in performance came when they went from the old-style distributor injection pump to the new common-rail system, not sure what model or year that was though.

3.0ltr diesel went common rail much earlier on, 4-cylinder had to wait because Alfa Romeo had the patent on common-rail for 4-cylinder engines and protected their technology, but not for 6-cylinder engines strangely.

A little ot but my build sheet says i have Engine M47/T2 is this actually the M47TU2D20 ?

The big leap ahead in performance came when they went from the old-style distributor injection pump to the new common-rail system, not sure what model or year that was though.

3.0ltr diesel went common rail much earlier on, 4-cylinder had to wait because Alfa Romeo had the patent on common-rail for 4-cylinder engines and protected their technology, but not for 6-cylinder engines strangely.

Ha, that's like having a patient on fridges!

The 2926cc M57 motor vs the 2993cc M57 was a leap ahead again.

Ok, so have had this done this morning and taken it for a quick drive. No massive noticeable difference around the streets, but open road a huge difference, third gear overtaking is totally effortless and this is what the X5 was best at - that overtaking 80-1..kph and the little 3 series would be quicker now.

There's a noticeable slight dusting of soot now under load, turbo lag is now virtually non existent, and if I plant it in first gear in the dry the traction control cuts in. I ended up getting it for $200 cheaper than originally thought so from my first post is it worth it? f**k yes!

The gains after are now 25kw gain and 55nm - so 125kw and 335nm

Edited by The Diesel Guy

Well done. Do a burnout with black and white smoke please.

BUT.... and a big BUT - the clutch doesn't like it on the way home tonight it was slipping whilst in 4th gear. Looks like I'm up for a good grand to get that sorted, so the little car has cost me probably 2k to get this done now ha!

BUT.... and a big BUT - the clutch doesn't like it on the way home tonight it was slipping whilst in 4th gear. Looks like I'm up for a good grand to get that sorted, so the little car has cost me probably 2k to get this done now ha!

Awsome results!

LOL Greg, not so awesome, the cheapest clutch kit I've found is a grand + gst :(

So use that as an excuse to fit a solid state flywheel and sprung clutch, way more torque again.

That type of clutch is cheaper than a double sprung? Also, getting a service done at the same time, what oil do I need? THey only have conventional types there, will supply it myself, roughly what litres also?

Edited by The Diesel Guy

Should be good for burnouts when that's all done then.

Solid state clutch, new brakes front/rear ordered should arrive tomorrow. Getting a full service at the same time, hopefully I get another year out of it!!!

The solid state flywheel will be the way I go when that time comes, much more torque and go.

LL01 SLX castrol is what you want to use and if you are going to a BMW dealer then they will have that, 5.5 litres is the capacity of your engine.

the 120 has noticeable lag,you must relearn how to drive,,ie when you are forced to lift of you must get on the gas as soon as possible much earlier than a petrol The 120 also leaves a slight haze behind it but only at high throttle opening and high revs.

When i get into the real tight and twisty Wellington roads i have to use first...i never used first in the 535(apart from take offs)

The solid state flywheel will be the way I go when that time comes, much more torque and go.

LL01 SLX castrol is what you want to use and if you are going to a BMW dealer then they will have that, 5.5 litres is the capacity of your engine.

how does a fllywheel influence torque :mellow:

how does a fllywheel influence torque :mellow:

Dual mass flywheel are stupidly heavy, solid state flywheels are so much lighter so better acceleration more than anything.

Dual mass flywheel are stupidly heavy, solid state flywheels are so much lighter so better acceleration more than anything.

ahhh yes lighter quicker response

The solid state is costing me $400 less, so if they're better it's a no brainer IMO.

The wee car won't know itself, new brakes, new clutch, service, remap. It's coming a long way since I paid 6k for it a year ago.

the 120 has noticeable lag,you must relearn how to drive

Too true with diesels, under 1500rpm on a hill especially you're wasting you're time. But in a manual like mine it's even more important to keep revs above that if you want to get up and running.

I know what you mean there Clinton, we've got a diesel focus at work and has nothing below 1500, and I'm used to driving the 328i which has buckets of low torque so every time ive driven it it's not uncommon to stall it afew times...