Sign in to follow this  
deeveus

Remap my 320d

Hey Clinton,

I've heard of people fitting solid flywheels and having gearbox noise, particularly at idle (especially on diesels). It's not very loud, but something to be aware of.

I assume it accelerates gearbox wear too, because the pulses aren't softened (hence the noise) but I don't think that's going to make any real difference over the long term - I haven't heard of boxes failing.

Anyway - google it if it may concern you.

Hey Clinton,

I've heard of people fitting solid flywheels and having gearbox noise, particularly at idle (especially on diesels). It's not very loud, but something to be aware of.

I assume it accelerates gearbox wear too, because the pulses aren't softened (hence the noise) but I don't think that's going to make any real difference over the long term - I haven't heard of boxes failing.

Anyway - google it if it may concern you.

It's only gearbox chatter.

It's only gearbox chatter.

I heard this from the installer too, but the benefit's outweighed the cons, i.e cheaper and delivers more torque with a solid state.

I know what you mean there Clinton, we've got a diesel focus at work and has nothing below 1500, and I'm used to driving the 328i which has buckets of low torque so every time ive driven it it's not uncommon to stall it afew times...

yes its funny,they can be easy to stall but at idle itself they are amazing mine can idle along in first or second no sweat,i reckon even third or fourth ,but just off idle they are flat as a pancake

I heard this from the installer too, but the benefit's outweighed the cons, i.e cheaper and delivers more torque with a solid state.

Fair enough! B)

Was advised that Redline 75w 140NS and MT-90 mixed together when using a solid flywheel set up would reduce the so called rattle. Sure someone on here that has done a conversion will chip in and let you know what they used.

Was advised that Redline 75w 140NS and MT-90 mixed together when using a solid flywheel set up would reduce the so called rattle. Sure someone on here that has done a conversion will chip in and let you know what they used.

This is what I run in the s50b32 / 5speed ZF with billet single mass and for NZ weather no chatter only on the hottest days after a 1 hour spirted drive or if Ive been going around the track.

You wont notice any 95% of the time and certainly not daily driving.

The mix is all Redline 75w 140NS .. top up with MT90.

Must be NS because of the MT90 friction modifiers take care of gear lubrication underload.

Other benefit is its not stiff during winter/colder temps :)

Single mass is so much better, it turns your ok engine into something some much more alive. I drive normal S50's now that run dualmass and they feel slow.

Here is a link to mine.

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....st&p=307725

Damn, I really missed a trick here. I was advised not to bother when I converted and just have a stock DM.

Any increase in resonce would have been great on the pretty 'flat' M52

Ok, so new clutch fitted, holds down the torque now but has to go back... Something has gone wrong with the exhaust, under full throttle at say 1500rpm it is deafening! Ear drum popping bass type sound!

Ok, so new clutch fitted, holds down the torque now but has to go back... Something has gone wrong with the exhaust, under full throttle at say 1500rpm it is deafening! Ear drum popping bass type sound!

Hey Clinton, Any progress? Did they find the sound? Did you only had the clutch done?

Our clutch still seems fine, but I want to decide what way I'll go before it craps itself. Did they put the noise down the the Solid flywheel? Is it just sound, or vibration too?

70% of the noise has gone, it was on my way home from having the clutch done that I reported the noise in my previous post, however in 4th gear say 1100rpm foot flat it is quite noisey, then again, should be in another gear. Overall, it is slightly louder but only because I'm used to the way it was. Overall, happy, it had to be done.

Good to hear!

Prolly don't (shouldn't) spend much time at 1100 rpm. I wonder if it's from the high pressure combustion pulses of the diesel at such a low freqeuncy?

Hopefully I get a lot of time to decide, before mine craps out!

I assume it would be a bit less noticable in a 6 cylinder petrol anyway - higher frequency and lower combustion pressures... Dunno!

Thanks!

Good to hear!

I wonder if it's from the high pressure combustion pulses of the diesel at such a low freqeuncy?

Thanks!

i am sure thats go t somethng to do with it.Every now and then i am aware of a strange resonance at idle ...or low revs.Only in very specific circumstances.The kind of thing you sometimes get with windows down