Sign in to follow this  
MilesP

Trading 323i for 318i

I would like people to voice their opinions here and say what they think would be a fair deal trade wise between the following two cars.

My 323i found here >>> http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....showtopic=42396

For this 318i >>> http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=529855583

in my opinion i the fuel economy different between the 323i and the 318i isn't going to be as much as you think it is when they are both automatic cars. 318i auto have very poor economy. i would swap for a 318i manual, or dont bother at all. fuel economy is still directly related to the way you drive it, they use hardly any gas idling no matter how big the engine is. a 323i is only a 2.5L engine which isnt really that big. now if you had a 540i that might be different. Im sure my little 316i would still suck 25L+/100km if i drove it hard.

in my opinion i the fuel economy different between the 323i and the 318i isn't going to be as much as you think it is

Agree. The weight of the car makes FAR more difference than the engine size (to a point, obviously). The ti might be a bit lighter, so a bit better.

You could end up swapping it for a car that isn't as good as yours, and you end up spending the difference in repairs. How much do you spend on petrol a year anyway? Even if you save 20% in fuel costs, is that enough to bother?

If you do 15000kms a year, and swap to a car that uses 2L/100kms less (and I'm not convinced you'd get that), you'll save about 300L per year - maybe $660 a year (coz your 323i is on premium, which I think it about 2.20 a litre???).

$660 could easily be eaten up in a simple repair.

You'e be better off swapping it for a vitz/echo :ph34r:

What's your average economy on the 323i?

(off-topic: anyone see the Top Gear thing with the M3 following a prius on their track? M3 got better economy :lol: )

Agree. The weight of the car makes FAR more difference than the engine size (to a point, obviously). The ti might be a bit lighter, so a bit better.

You could end up swapping it for a car that isn't as good as yours, and you end up spending the difference in repairs. How much do you spend on petrol a year anyway? Even if you save 20% in fuel costs, is that enough to bother?

If you do 15000kms a year, and swap to a car that uses 2L/100kms less (and I'm not convinced you'd get that), you'll save about 300L per year - maybe $660 a year (coz your 323i is on premium, which I think it about 2.20 a litre???).

(off-topic: anyone see the Top Gear thing with the M3 following a prius on their track? M3 got better economy :lol: )

Yeah I did see that.

I get around 12l/100km city/country and around 9l/100km country.

I found a really nice NZ new 318is, Manual here in Christchurch that I would love to buy for $4500 but I would need to sell the 323i to pay for it.

The numbers make it even less appealing than i though lol. but 20% saving is still very impressive and probably not realistic?

a lot of people get unnecessarily hyped up over the fuel economy/cost thing in my opinion. make the choice from the get go to get a car appropriate to your needs, but its often not appropriate to sell your car and get another one unless that car happens to be a 540i or 750iL, or your current one needs lots of repairs. A smaller/less powerful engine needs to work harder to get a car moving than a big engine, so therefore sucks more fuel to do so.

some more copy pasted entertainment on the weight issue if you want to read it i recently posted on another forum to a member in an almost identical situation, only an E30:

I had a 525i Auto wagon which is a 2.5L and around 1700kg, i used to get around 16L/100km city driving. Compare that to my V12 wagon which is identical body shape and weight and its marginally more, but that engine is literally twice the size.

Similarly, every auto E30 ive owned has got around 10-11L/100km 80-90% city driving. the manuals are slightly less, but my current 316i is sucking 4L/100km at 100km/h, and more like 8 in the city which is less than the other E30s ive had, but it still gets about 9.5L/100km over a tank according to Fuelly. The best my auto All E30s are the same weight give or take 100kg.

At the end of the day, you are driving a BMW which never have been light cars compared to their japanese "equivalents". the fuel economy gains between a 2.5L and a 1.8L are just as easily gained by pumping up your tyres, taking the pram out the boot and roof racks off and, if you work close to home, not carrying a spare tyre.

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

Just wanted to note that the fuel economy is not the only reason I want to change.

I want to down size to a four cylinder because they are a little cheaper for me to maintain myself and are also easier to work on with the tools/time that I have. A 318is would be perfect.

So if anyone wants to buy my 323i for $4500 then please do so I can buy the 318is I have found :D

Yeah I did see that.

I get around 12l/100km city/country and around 9l/100km country.

I found a really nice NZ new 318is, Manual here in Christchurch that I would love to buy for $4500 but I would need to sell the 323i to pay for it.

The manual trans probably makes more difference than the engine size :) Plus, manual is my favourite B) .

your economy isn't too bad really, I can squeeze the E39 down to 7L/100kms, probably a bit better on flatter, straighter roads than we have up here.

Was talking to a mate last night, with a 97? 750iL V12. He's getting about 14l/100kms in auckland, but it gets a bit better on the open roads. He can make it much worse with lots of loud pedal too!

Your car does look in awesome condition.

Personally having owned a 323i, i wouldnt bother downgrading just to make it "easier" to fix it yourself. Those M52 engines are quite simple once you take the plastic covers off the top. Oil and filter is easy to get at and uses standard tools, same with spark plugs.

The only difference i can see is i think the 4 cylinder engines use a couple of litres less oil each change, but honestly, whoop de do.

M50/M52 are no easier or harder to work on and parts are pretty much the same cost. other than having 6 coils/plugs/injectors rather than 4 etc. as far as i can tell use the exact same tools as M40 and M44, probably M42 as well...

I do realise you might have already made the decision on swapping the car, just thought the advice might be useful

EDITED :rolleyes:

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

M50/M52 are no easier or harder to work on and parts are pretty much the same cost. other than having to remove the radiator if you want to change the water pump on an M5x E36, and having 6 coils/plugs/injectors rather than 4. as far as i can tell use the exact same tools as M40 and M44, probably M42 as well...

I do realise you might have already made the decision on swapping the car, just thought the advice might be useful

You do not have to remove the radiator on any BMW to just change a water pump

You do not have to remove the radiator on any BMW to just change a water pump

sorry Glenn, i should have run that one past you before i posted...... :rolleyes:

sorry Glenn, i should have run that one past you before i posted...... :rolleyes:

He is correct though.

edited so the pair of you can sleep tonight. -_-

Don't lose sleep over internet forums.

Don't lose sleep over internet forums.

Only new family additions aye :ph34r::lol:

Only new family additions aye :ph34r::lol:

Ha surprisingly no, the little boy sleeps all night! Don't know how much longer it'll last but enjoying it for now.