Sign in to follow this  
slowe30

m52 tick

today i started up my e36 after it sitting for about a week, and noticed it was ticking quite loudly, was about a 20 min drive so should have warmed up enough. its in the rear part of the valve train, so dont think it has anything to do with vanos. its very lid and car be heard through out the rev range (didnt rev it over 3.5k but it was still as loud if not louder as revs got higher).

Is there anything that i should check out, like gummed up oil squirters or something along those lines?

havent had a huge look into it yet but its loud enough for me to want to fix it asap.

its got about 8k on the oil thats in it and im going to be replacing it this weekend as i had already planned to. would anyone recommend a engine oil cleaner solution to use?

Cheers for any help

sticky lifter , change the oil

run some engine flush stuff through it .

then add some lifter quietner to it with new oil.

awesome, thats the info i was wanting. by lifter quitener, are you meaning proma mbl8?

Cheers

didn't even know you could buy lifter treatment stuff, where do i get that from? Repcos? My M40 is really noisy, but cheaper to replace the engine when it becomes so had it than it is to sort out putting 8 new ones in

Is it, oil oil out, new oil in, then add treatment and then replace oil again within 1000kms or..?

didn't even know you could buy lifter treatment stuff, where do i get that from? Repcos? My M40 is really noisy, but cheaper to replace the engine when it becomes so had it than it is to sort out putting 8 new ones in

Is it, oil oil out, new oil in, then add treatment and then replace oil again within 1000kms or..?

Repco or supercheap. Replace oil, add additive, wait til it stops working or you next change oil, add some more. It varies by brand, but some products can only be added once per oil change, others up to 3 times etc.

Go see the mitsi dealer for tick control....

Mitsubishi make their own oil additive. Works boss.

was hoping it would be the mbl8 as i have some left over and its bloody expensive stuff, ill change it today or tomorrow after running the cleaner stuff through it and see how it all works, if it doesnt quite stop ill get some lifter treatment to use in it

I'd treat it to an Italian tune-up and see how it goes.

Go see the mitsi dealer for tick control....

Mitsubishi make their own oil additive. Works boss.

Hahaha they must of got wind of their cars being called mitsuticki!!

haha, yeah they use to sell MBL8 but, now they sell their own, in little aluminum cans with beer can pop rings.

tried MBL8 on my M40, wasted $70.

:(

tried MBL8 on my M40, wasted $70.

:(

M40 , most likly worn cams and rockers.

you can normally see that through the oil fill hole

M40 , most likly worn cams and rockers.

you can normally see that through the oil fill hole

took the whole valve cover off and the shield plate thing off a few weekends back, cleaned up the oiler bar. bit of wear on the first first cam lobe and also either the 5th or 6th one, apart from that it looked good in there, especially for 245,000kms now. quietened down a lot after cleaning the oiler bar, but semms to be about as clakety as its always been again.