Sign in to follow this  
tobytoblerone

E34 M5 with half a million km's (well, almost)

The E34 was engineered and built to a standard you do not find on modern BMW's.

Looks like a cracker of a car that has been well maintained.

Hate to say this, but I've seen many BMW/Mercedes with this kind of mileage, yet I've never seen any petrol Japanese car with that kind of mileage on the clock, looks in good nick, 15kAUD tho? Nope.

^ I've seen a few immaculate high mileage Lexus LS400 around.

Usually they are kept by fastidious old men though. (yawn)

That M5 is immaculate, just goes to show it's all about TLC rather than the mileage on the clock.

Hate to say this, but I've seen many BMW/Mercedes with this kind of mileage, yet I've never seen any petrol Japanese car with that kind of mileage on the clock, looks in good nick, 15kAUD tho? Nope.

Ever been in a Taxi cab in Auckland?? Was in a Camry last night that had quite spectacular millage on it!

Ha no, but what was it like? No lights on the dash work, bushes rooted, drove like an old pig?

Palm face. It was a Taxi and I was drunk so I did not have a test drive, I asked the driver what kind of times it did around Hampton downs but he didn't seem to understand.

Bushes, lights and everything else on that M5 will have been replaced at least once in half a million KM's, I would think the engine would have been rebuilt also, well you would want it to have been.. would love to see it on a dyno if if were original.

Seen a few Corollas with over 500,000kms that were still on the original motors. Were 24/7 delivery cars in the UK.

500,000kms on a Taxi is far less impressive than 500,000kms on a personal vehicle only used for personal millage over the years.

my 1986 nz new e28 m535i

517,000km now

nz new. some things been changed, renewed , reco'd etc

but when i got it it had done 465,000km and mostly orginal condition and parts etc.

post-279-1355706764.jpg

Edited by Brent HARTGE535i

Palm face. It was a Taxi and I was drunk so I did not have a test drive, I asked the driver what kind of times it did around Hampton downs but he didn't seem to understand.

Bushes, lights and everything else on that M5 will have been replaced at least once in half a million KM's, I would think the engine would have been rebuilt also, well you would want it to have been.. would love to see it on a dyno if if were original.

Drunk on a sunday? work closed up early has it? this post made me laugh tho

Guest Simon*

I've got a Corona with 400,000+ kms on it. Original motor, 3rd clutch.

And I thrashed the E34 540is past 420,000kms and it was still going strong :)

I find it funny that people have hangups about milage. The engine is most cars should do the milage if they're maintained properly, it's the wear items that need replacing regularly - brakes, shocks, clutches bushes.

The problems come about when people get stupid ides about how the car isn't worth much, so better not to spend money on it. Then you end up with a poorly maintained car that starts to cost moeny, so they buy another car which could have any number of problems, and do the same thing. My father in law does exactly that. So tight fisted that it ends up costly him money. I rely on Dads E30 with 215K on over the father in laws Honda, half the age with half the milage. The E30 is maintained, the honda is kept going. Just. Actually, even my Mrs's old impreza would be more trustworthy - it was a 95 with 322,000 on it when we sold it - I only sold it to get something bigger and safer - The E39.

That E34 is probably better than MANY E34's with 1/4 the milage on it, because it was probably looked after like it should be, not according to it's "value" in dollar terms (although an M5 always is worth a bit, obviously!).

Had a 1990 ford Laser with 510,000 clicks on the clock. Paint was knackered, interior was average, but it went like a new one. Was still the original engine too.